Australian Survivor

[quote=“TV.Cynic, post:681, topic:460”]
I didn’t for one minute consider it a lie. It was just misdirection. If the contestants had been listening, it was the only time Johnathan didn’t followed the usual “will be voted off speech” with “and one of you will be going home.” So a clue to the night was there for those who were paying attention[/quote]

That’s far too generous. It was only episode 5. The previous episode he didn’t mention “going home”. He just said “voted out of this game”.

This is what he said in the twist episode:
“Here’s where it gets a little different. The two tribes that lose will be seeing me tonight at tribal council. Two people will be voted out. Big stakes today (spoken gravely). This is the challenge that you NEED to win.”

Firstly, there was no reason, no clue, for them to look for any “misdirection”, because it hadn’t happened before in any Survivor. Secondly, the speech was already different from normal because two teams were going to tribal council, so why should they look for a pattern? Thirdly, even if they had picked up that he didn’t say “of this game”, it would have been dismissed by the rest of what he said. There were no “big stakes”. They did not “NEED to win” it. Those were lies.

Whether you liked the twist or not it was simply not fair. There are a few simple core things about Survivor that have never changed. Tribal council is where people are sent home and Immunity means that you are safe from being sent home. Everything about that twist went against that. The contestants were lied too and deceived by producers. There was nothing said to the contestants that could possibly have hinted to them that nobody was being voted out of the game prior to that. It opened the game up to too much producer interference. Twists need to be fair and need to be able to be strategized around. People should not be suffice to potential revenge for voting someone out (apart from at the final tribal council). It might have been exciting from a viewers perspective, but as far as the game goes it was not a fair twist at all.

Who cares what Fishback and some other superfans think? These are probably the same people who were a part of the massive viewer backlash from the returnee tribe they popped back out of nowhere in Pearl Islands, which is why they never did anything like that again for that reason. When they did have people return after being voted off in future seasons, contestants were made aware that Redemption Island was a part of the season so you would strategise knowing it was in play. That’s the only way it should be done.

Although don’t get me started on the other twist where our eventual winner was set to almost certainly go home had they not had the ‘steal’ to the other tribe.

You are both right. Section 18 of the Australian Consumer act prohibits misleading or deceptive conduct. And JLP definitely engaged in that :stuck_out_tongue: Time to get over it and move on. Its a game. It was done. It made the game slightly more interesting. Boo hoo if a few people didn’t like it. More people liked it than didn’t.

There’s “liking” it because it was a big twist with a big impact that had a lot of viewer interest. That’s fine. The trouble was that it came at the cost of the game and the trustworthiness of the host and producers from then on. It was a short-term dizzy high in return for a long-term detriment.

I think we will just agree to disagree.

I have to say, I think it was great. A fresh twist. The US Survivor has had players return in the past in any case. It wasn’t the first time it’s happened.

According to The Sunday Telegraph, 16,500 have applied to compete on season 2 next year, smashing the 15,000 applications for this year. That’s very impressive.

1 Like

One of those is me

This thread is honestly full of more ups and downs than the series itself haha. Amazing read.

Best of luck with the application turdall, and hopefully I’m not invited back as a retuneee castaway for your sake Harriet haha.

4 Likes

AMA when?

Thanks Matt great to have you comment on the thread. I have actually watched your advice on making a video. Not sure I will follow your game play style if I get through :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m glad you enjoyed the read. A lot of us a long time Survivor fans so we are very passionate and opinionated.

I actually met Lee on the weekend. I was up in Brisbane for the weekend and he was out on Queen Street doing some promo thing. Nobody was lining up to see him and I think someone working there could tell we were sussing him out so they came up and asked us if we wanted a photo with him. So got a full printed snap with him. I still am not sure exactly what he was doing there lol.

You also have to remember what you see is an edited down version of 2-3 days, and from that you literally see 5-10 minutes of camp life. So just remember that when you judge anyone too harshly. For example El played a much better game than anyone has really spoken about, and some of the comments made about the Kristie/Flick/Matt alliance being footage from earlier episodes is completely wrong. Though, hopefully you get to see that first hand if you get onto S2.

I reckon if you manage to finish 5th, last 51 Days and beat 15,000 applicants to get there, you’ve at least done something right - I’d say you’d be pretty stoked if you did the same :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Haha we’ve all had to do some strange things.

A few of us are jumping out of a plane dressed as Santa next weekend. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

haha I know I was only teasing. It was a great first season. Obviously from a viewers perspective we were all hoping for a few more hardcore game players. You definitely did something right coming 5th. And I think I would be pretty stoked to even make a merge. Although I am pretty convinced I’d do a Des and be the first eliminated :stuck_out_tongue:

I understand all about the edit. It is funny listening to contestants on the radio and doing their media rounds how different they come across. I am not going to lie the way you were edited at times annoyed me but I’ve really enjoyed you when you have been on the radio and done your media rounds. Obviously coming from Adelaide I have heard a bit from you than the others would have in other states. But seriously Matt well done. Reading those comments throughout the season probably isn’t a true description of how we all really think of the contestants now. They are knee-jerk reaction once watching an episode.

Was it Men’s Health?

Survivor runner-up Lee’s shocking weight loss

I don’t think so… I think it was something to do with the Wintergarden shopping centre. They took the photo and it printed straight out from a polaroid machine thing. I didn’t see anything there as him being promoted as a Survivor contestant. As I said we were actually asked if we would go up and get a photo with him cos we were standing around. When we went up to him I said that I know him from Survivor and he just laughed. After they took the pic he told us to get a selfie as well on our phone but by the time we got ready to do it they shoved us away. :joy:

His appearance popped up tonight as part of the “shopping in the CBD” segment of the Christmas in Brisbane program on Nine.

Yep that would’ve been last Sunday that’s exactly what he was wearing.

Lee was at the ABC Radio commentary box at The Gabba this afternoon, talking to Gerard Whateley about the Survivor experience during play at the test match between Australia and Pakistan. Lee said he lost 17kg during his time in Samoa, and loved watching the show on TV. Hope the interview will be on Soundcloud soon.