Australian Postal Survey on Marriage Law

That sounds like what was reported in the poll.

They wouldn’t be allowed to report progressive results because this would influence the final result.

Hahaha (sorry I couldn’t help it; actually I’m not sorry). :laughing:

Why are they still bothering with this?

On this from yesterday…

The conclusion being drawn is nonsense; just because I completed my survey form doesn’t mean I wanted to be surveyed.

Given that the turnout numbers comparisons in the story do look pretty good.

And this bit makes sense:

… it suggests that the majority of people have well and truly made up their minds on this issue and have not had the need for a two-month debate to guide them.

And it’ll be interesting to see if this prediction of just how pathetically weak our PM is confirmed:

Watch too for Malcolm Turnbull getting more involved in the campaign towards its conclusion if polls consistently predict a strong win for the Yes campaign.

1 Like

Catholic priests have long been known to like a beer, a fag, and a gamble, so Julian Porteous will have to just go to the pub and TAB instead.

2 Likes

This is interesting, I noticed they have given no reason but if it was for instance a Yes camp meeting wanting to meet in a church facility or function centre, there is no way that they are able to decline under the Tasmanian anti-discrimination laws, so why is it that it is ok and accepted the other way? And still, people will say that this is not limiting free speech, not limiting others who hold differing opinions, not intolerant, not anti-Christian etc…

My theory is, it was too mcuh risk for Wrest Point because the “peaceful” protesters would have shown up again and we’ve all seen for years and years in the forest industry how “peaceful” those protesters can be.

Pretty poor if they’ve just been dropped by the venue for no apparent reason. But then again there is the church that told a couple booked for a wedding at a moment’s notice that they will now not be getting married at that church just because they supported the yes vote with a Facebook post.

I think there are elements where both sides are not doing themselves any favours. I’ll be glad when it’s all over and we can go back to hearing about important things like how will the Logies go on the Gold Coast :wink:

2 Likes

And this week, the song re-entered the ARIA charts at number 4. Macklemore is donating all the money from Aussie sales of the song to the “Yes” campaign. :joy:

2 Likes

That’s 62.5%

1 Like

Betoota caught ripping off Chaser articles?

The Chaser removed this post just as I loaded it, so I screenshotted it.

1 Like

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/gay-marriage/new-south-wales-has-the-most-no-voters-in-samesex-marriage-plebiscite/news-story/032d54ccd8282de764ac6d39567d84c5

… a snap poll by Roy Morgan has given us a preview of what’s likely to come.

According to their stats, it’s a resounding Yes, with 61.5 per cent of Australians in favour and just 17.5 per cent voting No.

By my calculations that would mean a plebiscite result of 78% Yes 22% No.

3 Likes

NSW. That’s certainly a surprise.

agreed

The state which is the home of top rating far-right talkback station 2GB and the Daily Telegraph has the most no voters? Doesn’t surprise me in the least.

5 Likes

I daresay there’s a big “No” vote in parts of Western Sydney (ie, home of the biggest 2GB/The Daily Telegraph worshippers) and/or regional NSW!

Victoria being the biggest supporters of the Yes vote doesn’t surprise me, knowing how they’re perhaps the most politically progressive state in the nation.

3 Likes

ok im going to say this as iam a gay person myself i hope once and for all that we will achieved same sex marriage after this postal survey im sick to death of this govt and the govt before them saying that they will make law same sex marriage and never do some of the no adds i have found quite distressing myself it is high time this country got with the times and made same sex legal and yes i do think its a waste of tax payers money when the govt has the power to do the right thing in the 1st place and make same sex legal

2 Likes

I still would have expected Queensland to be the home of the most No voters. Their rural areas have produced some of the most odious politicians that have ever been elected in this country.

4 Likes

I was sure it would be Queensland too.

I wonder if the vote in New South Wales is affected by having more migrants who are more conservative or religious.

3 Likes

As a Queenslander myself, I can tell you that Queensland is very strong on the whole “you can do what you like, as long as you don’t do it around me” thing. Some of the most conservative people I’ve ever met (admittedly in my age group) are voting yes just purely because it doesn’t have any bearing on them whatsoever.

5 Likes

Really? I always thought and based on my experience in NSW, that they were more likely more conservative than any other state and would most likely vote no.

So it doesn’t surprise me in the slightest.

Seriously? I mean seriously?

NSW decriminalised homosexuality (stopped threatening to lock up gay men) in 1984. Queensland decided to allow gay people to be “legal” in their thoughts and actions in 1990 and only 20 years ago it was still illegal to gay in Tasmania.

Exactly. That’s why I would’ve put them on the list as more conservative.

1 Like