Australian Postal Survey on Marriage Law

I just think this whole performance is unessessery. I did vote “yes”, but I think this performance is just adding fuel to the unwanted fire. And politics should be kept out of sport too.

Adam Goodes would agree.

Politics is always a part of sport.

Also, I don’t understand. Holding a plebiscite which has brought out the worst in people is “democracy in action”, but singing a song before a sports game in reaction to said plebiscite is “adding fuel to the fire”.

Astonishing. Conservatives want to have their campaign and avoid it when it stomps on their turf. Fuck it conservatives, you made this bed, now lie in it.

5 Likes

This is what Bill Shorten said 4 years ago

What’s the source for that quote? Would love to read it in context.

1 Like

Dunno where the source for that is (anyone can put some text next to a picture of someone and share it across Facebook), but if that’s true, then good on him for coming around to his current position.

Ireland’s referendum taught us that these direct democracies are harmful to LGBTIQ people.

2 Likes

I found on this on YouTube. Which comes from the Australian Christian Lobby

People are allowed to change their minds

Fixed that for you.

5 Likes

It’s more worrying when people refuse to change despite facts/evidence.

Shorten isn’t an impressive person; he is a factor in why the LNP is still in power. Labor don’t have any great leadership options at the moment.

Many politicians have long ago accepted they must tow the party line, whatever that is at the time, plus there’s not an uncommon attribute of saying whatever they think the voting public want to hear (especially swinging votes in marginal electorates).

Changing what they’re saying can be reasonable, including unfortunately when enough of the populace finally accept something, and you have to pick your battles so pollies can’t be too far in front of the electorate on too many issues, but it’s also often disappointing to see so many of them don’t have any principles, or it can seem, do any thinking of their own.
More often leaders should be trying to lead; explain why a reform is necessary/a positive.

When the LNP lose gov’t it’ll be because of wrecking from the LNP’s right wing, Abbott in particular but also others like Joyce, Canavan, Dutton, Abetz… these are the types who seem to have a religious-like zealotry which readily denies facts & reason and for that reason worry me greatly.

They’re fighting losing battles (on SSM, global warming & energy policy), but even with realisation of that they’d rather delay doing the right thing as much as possible; they see delay as a victory and to hell with the damage done by their tactics, including to their own party/gov’t.

2 Likes

All I’m saying is there should be no campaigning, no public division etc… Let the public decide and move on. It would be great if Macklemore could sing his song, but there is so much division around this issue that it risks damaging the “yes” vote, and we can’t let that happen.

I’m not going to be cowed by the chance I might offend someone.

2 Likes

Well people agree with that much because Australia sent it to number 1 on iTunes now.

https://twitter.com/macklemore/status/913524130200174592

4 Likes

Good work on digging that up when challenged. Clearly delivering a message to the audience and has changed his mind since.

And now this from Dutton:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/music/macklemores-same-love-could-hit-no-1-again-as-fans-support-the-marriage-equality-anthem/news-story/c00f9fd06681fa2b8101bf004e89c1a9

How out of touch can a Minister of the Crown be?

2 Likes

probably about as much as PM Turnbull on The Project last night

But at least he said that it’s a song and it’s free speech and it should not be banned.

He is firmly against the NRL final being politicised but also said he supported free speech.

“Presumably two songs should be played, one for gay marriage and one against gay marriage,’’ Mr Dutton said.

LOL. You’d have Macklemore’s Same Love versus The Lord’s Prayer or something that would similarly go down like a lead balloon (I actually can’t think of a popular song that you could possibly use in the ‘against gay marriage’ context).

I personally like a couple of Macklemore’s songs, but Same Love not so much. A bit too slow paced for my liking.

1 Like

He did but to dismiss all of the extremism as insignificant and that Australians are responding to the debate “in good humour” is pretty far off the mark.

4 Likes

Fair enough. You’re right there.

1 Like

Probably not Katy Perry’s “I Kissed A Girl”, to be honest I don’t think there’s really much of a market for anti-SSM songs and one certainly isn’t going to hit number 1 on iTunes. Unless there’s some from Sesame Street like “The Word Is No” but that’s not really going to work either.

Personally, I think the AFL/NRL should stay out of the political debate because it’s just going to divide people but so many other companies have already chosen sides (well, side, has there been any company actually say that they are on the no side?) that I think it’s unavoidable and I’d also hate to be seen as a hypocrite as others are always loving to label Christians and tend to know Christian beliefs better than them apparently so if I’m fighting for a fair voice to be able to say things then I can’t stop others.