Australian Postal Survey on Marriage Law

At least there’s some humour there, unlike the big “VOTE NO” spray painted on concrete traffic barriers in southern Canberra.

It looks like the AEC & ABS haven’t been doing their jobs very well:

1 Like

No excuse for violence of course, but given the heat in this so-called ‘debate’ sadly it’s not shocking a house dressed up like this got attacked by someone:

PS:

So much for a respectful debate, and where’s the condemnation of violence, hatred & vitriol being flung at Yes campaigners? (Even some of the No people on here who were upset at Yes campaigners appear to have fallen silent.)

1 Like

Not sure if you’re referring to me here or not but at the time I condemned all violence from the yes and no sides, even when others said it was acceptable from the yes side. Once again, I say again, violence is not acceptable. It does nothing to improve anybody’s cause. I think some of it is also opportunistic thuggery too, a chance to just commit crimes and violence and point to an excuse and a cause which is even worse.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/blogs/andrew-bolt/gaymarriage-bullying-latest-church-attacked-meeting-stormed/news-story/b599f3914d7a4c32a0b3b230000ad3e6

Meanwhile, in other barely news reported, the Coalition for Marriage event had the stage stormed a couple of times by protestors (have there been events for the yes case which have been hijacked by the no camps? I haven’t seen any) but worse than the hijacking is the deliberate inciting violence with signs saying “Burn churches not queers” and graffiti attacks now also happening to churches.

I honestly thought that we were in a mature country who could have a difference of opinion, discuss things openly, be able to see all sides we were all coming from and work together to come to a conclusion which could help unify all of us. Pretty disappointing and poor form all round from both sides.

I wasn’t referring to any one specific person.

Good point; I think you’re probably right.

I don’t think that kiss was ‘barely reported’; I’d certainly seen it, but of course there’s a difference between disrupting a No rally and violence.

Forgive me for saying that was naive; there were warnings about what would happen with such a campaign but some people rubbished those suggestions.
Unfortunately there were always going to be a number of people who were going to be hateful and even violent.

It seems like maybe the govt want that, hence the really long period for this survey.

1 Like

All good, I’d just been silent because I didn’t have anything to say for a while so I just wasn’t sure.

Might have been in some places, I didn’t really see much coverage of it other than from the traditional No facebook pages making a big song and dance about it.

That’s something that has surprised me too, the length of time for it. I think the people need to have their say but I’m quite disappointed at how people have done that and that they don’t think about how what they say and do will impact others. I’ve said before, I would have liked it to be as quick as possible and with no advertising, certainly not with any public money. I think for the people that want to have their say, they have their minds up and unfortunately both sides are going the wrong way at trying to convince others to see their point of view.

I think it’s there for the Yes side to lose, if they keep with the violence and silencing of those who disagree, they’ll make more enemies and every time I hear one of the No ads, all I can think of is the election ads for Sideshow Bob. Hopefully there will be less advertising soon, once they realise that most people have sent their surveys in.

1 Like

Yes this is taking too fucking long. I understand that the postal system takes a long time to get stuff done, and the ABS can’t count votes overnight, but why are we waiting until November?

Also, from what I can tell, most people had voted by the time the Yes and No campaigns had even launched their campaigns. Apparently ads trying to convince us to vote yes or no will continue until the result is made public in November by the ABS. Who are they trying to convince? Timetravellers?

Those who are sitting on their hands and have not yet voted.

1 Like

They said on radio yesterday that only 15% of forms that that have been sent out have been posted back.

1 Like

That can’t be accurate.

1 Like

I saw that Sky News was reporting this afternoon that more than a third have been returned. That was on a graphic at the bottom of the screen but I didn’t hear what that was based on.

1 Like

I wonder if the (other) opinion polls have asked if people have/intend to return their survey & broken down Yes/No answers for that subset.

PS: I should’ve looked at this earlier:

If you’ve heard quite enough about marriage equality for one lifetime consider these statistics: the Guardian Essential poll finds that 36% of people have already voted and the yes campaign believes it is even higher, that a majority of Australians have already had their say.

PPS:

The Guardian Essential poll shows supporters of marriage equality outnumber opponents 58% to 33%, dominate among Australians who have already voted (72% to 26%) and are more likely to vote.

The poll finds 88% of yes voters have voted or will definitely vote compared with 80% of no voters. If that was born out in the survey, it would translate to a 66% to 34% win for marriage equality.

Havent received one yet, requested a new one already from the ABS.

I think it might have been stolen, there’s been a fair bit of NO graffiti in my area.

Wow it looks like there’s an anti-marriage equality ad in every break of Ten Eyewitness News here (on WIN Mackay, Qld); I guess they’re really trying to get out the vote with the oldies they assume will be more inclined to vote no & watch Ten News at 17:00.

PS:
And this crap continues for another 5 weeks, then the discussion of what to put into a bill… :frowning:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/like-parents-with-kids-samesex-couples-dont-qualify-for-marriage-archbishop-mark-coleridge-20170926-gyovm2.html

The amount of crap, including historically inaccurate crap, being sprouted by opponents is astounding.

Alex Greenwich, chairman of the Equality Campaign, told Sky News the comparison of same-sex couples to incestuous relationships was “offensive” but “nothing new” in the debate over marriage equality.

But several polls have showed majority support for same-sex marriage among lay Catholics - more so than other denominations, according to a recent Newgate Research survey, commissioned by The Equality Campaign.

So there’s hope the right thing may eventuate, but the rest of this year is going to be awful for so many, and this delaying tactic is going to blow up in the LNP’s faces by pissing off many voters who’ll think the gov’t is ignoring all the other issues they need to address.

I never got mine either, went to the website over the weekend and discovered that apparently you have to update your details for the state/local roll and the federal roll separately and I had only done the state/local roll :expressionless:

Fortunately they have the option to mail to an alternate address so should have it this week.

That’s strange, I thought local, state and federal electoral rolls updated each other.

Lol the No campaign has started sending out autogenerated SMSs now too. Even comes with a neat little video. Swift condemnation from the usual suspects on here or just grumpy silence?

Also I love this article.

1 Like

Just disappointment, I haven’t received a yes or no one yet at all. How am I supposed to be able to get outraged when they don’t give me a chance?

2 Likes

You need to get a more easily generated number. Apply for 04 0000 0000.

1 Like

That one’s not actually far off! I do have an 0400 one which I’ve had nearly 15 years and a couple of zeroes!

1 Like

The ACMA were meant to begin releasing the 0500 000 000 number range this year after all the 04 numbers were exhausted.

Why would ‘the usual suspects on here’ condemn the mass unsolicited text messaging, when the Yes campaign has tried so hard to justify the same tactic in the first place?

As I said before, I’ve seen many Yes supporters going on social media calling people snowflakes, telling them to “just delete it and move on” when they’ve complained about the first batch of unsolicited text messages from the Yes campaign. Alex Greenwich tried to justify the mass messaging by saying it’s just a standard campaign tactic.

I’d say that now that the Yes campaign has effectively said ‘mass unsolicited text messaging is OK’, there is absolutely no valid reason for people to kick up a stink when the No campaign does the same.