Australian Idol

I was out last night so missed the ‘live’ cough show, and even though I’ve watched every other ep so far, I literally have no interest in watching the catch up.

Such a shame.

1 Like

It was actually an ok show. I definitely get more into it at this phase when there are less contestants. It’s just a shame that they are completely rushing it at this point. I would’ve preferred a Top 10 or faster culling earlier on so that by this point they just eliminated 1 per week. It means we don’t have that potential for growth like with Idol of the past. Or they could’ve utilized the two shows per week better and doubled up some performance shows - they often do that on American Idol where they announce someone is safe and then they go on to perform.

Well it makes sense. I’d actually rather see the judges perform than having random guests like One Republic and Adam Lambert. I always thought they didn’t give the judges real good proper intro’s into their careers when the season started, so I like that they are all given a chance to perform.

3 Likes

Apparently they’re all singing individually again tonight along with a group song and Amy Shark and Sam Fisher.

Big show tonight.

4 Likes

The Top 3 have been announced.

The voting is now open. And closes at 7pm on Sunday night.

1 Like

Australian Idol Grand Finalists revealed

Royston, Phoebe and Josh compete for the Idol crown

After weeks of intense public voting, Australia has chosen 23-year-old Royston Sagigi-Baira, 15-year-old Phoebe Stewart, and 20-year-old Josh Hannan to compete for the Australian Idol crown this Sunday, 26 March live and free on Channel 7 and 7plus.

While dreams were realised for the newly minted Grand Finalists, it was a bittersweet night for 19-year-old Anya Hynninen, 24-year-old Ben Sheehy, and 16-year-old Amali Dimond, who were eliminated after failing to secure enough public votes to keep them in the competition.

The Top 6 opened the show with a killer performance of I Feel Good by David Guetta FT Bebe Rexha, then hosts Ricki-Lee and Scott Tweedie announced each contestant would sing again before finding out who was headed to the Grand Finale.

Royston was first on stage, performing the power ballad I Want To Know What Love is by Foreigner, followed by Anya who delivered a soulful performance of It’s a Man’s Man’s World by James Brown.

Anya and Royston stood side-by-side as Ricki-Lee announced Royston was the first Grand Finalist.

"I can’t believe this. This is crazy!” he said. “This is a testament [to the fact] that no matter where you come from, as long as you work hard, you can follow your dreams and they can come true.”

Ben was next to perform, taking on the Joe Cocker classic The Letter before Phoebe hit the stage with a moving performance of Lost Without You by Freya Ridings.

Scott announced Phoebe as the second contestant heading to the Grand Finale.

“Thank you everyone for taking the time out of your life to appreciate music, the show and me. And I’m really happy I’m here. Thank you,” said Phoebe as she fought back tears.

Josh and Amali were next on stage. Josh performed Can’t Help Falling In Love by Elvis Presley while Amali nailed Demi Lovato’s Warrior.

Ricki-Lee announced Josh as the third and final singer to perform in Sunday’s Grand Finale.

“It’s a bit emotional,” said Josh wiping his tears. “Everyone who voted for me. It is an absolute dream for me to be here.”

The winner of Australian Idol will receive a recording contract with industry giant Sony Music and $100,000 in prize money.

Voting is now open! In Sunday’s Grand Finale one contestant will walk away with the glory and title of the latest Australian Idol. Plus superstars Harry Connick Jr and Jessica Mauboy perform exclusively.

https://twitter.com/AustralianIdol/status/1637755455593398273?s=20

2 Likes

Ok who wins idol 23

1 Like

Josh.

3 Likes

I’d be happy with any of the 3. They’re all good, but Josh is probably the one most likely at this point to be ready to become a recording artist. And he’s a songwriter as well.

3 Likes

I quite like the new format tonight where two eliminations took place during the show. (Did it happen during American Idol)?

However I don’t like the last elimination which dragged on a bit. It was past 8.30pm when the last pair performed, there was no need for one more ad break before the last grand finalist was revealed.

1 Like

So as with last week promoting a “shock result” before the result is even known (though I expect in reality the vast majority of votes are cast on Sunday night). Guess this is Channel 7 though - never knowingly underplaying anything.

Is the final over one night or two?

1 Like

One. What could they possibly do to draw it out over two?

1 Like

The Top 3 is spot on from the Top 6, so I was happy with those results. For me Josh has the most recordable voice and seems to be the one with the best chance of a career post the show, so I’ve voted for him.

Well there is usually a performance and results show, however this time they’ve just opened the voting lines up so people can vote all week (probably hoping that builds up some momentum to the finale).

4 Likes

That’s why they individually performed again last night. Last night was the performance show for finale results show.

3 Likes

I’d like to see Royston win but I agree unfortunately it will probably be Josh as he has the teenage girl vote.

1 Like

“I think like it was a shock to her (Amali) as well, it was a shock to me,” Hynninen said. “She had so much support, and I also felt bad that they had put all this pressure on her to win or to be in the top three. I just felt really bad for her because it felt like they were taking their foot off the pedal.”

1 Like

Overall I’m disappointed with this Idol reboot.They rushed through it, the other night when Kyle got up to sing and Harry CJ drinking ginger beer out of a shoe and eating a Tim Tam at the same time ,Really??? :flushed:
Josh will win because all the young girls will vote for him ,I think Royston deserves to win more or Phoebe,now the last girl remaining.

2 Likes

I don’t get the love for Royston to be honest. I think people have fallen for him personally rather than his singing.

Josh and Phoebe absolutely deserve to be there though.

4 Likes

I think Amali has been consistently better than Royston but based on last Sunday’s performance, Royston was better so that’s probably why he made it instead of Amali.

2 Likes

LOL - I’m sure Seven could find a way.

1 Like

It actually irks me that people write off a very talented singer with comments that is because of the “teenage girls”. He has been the best and most consistent contestant there IMO. He has a very recordable voice and his sound is very popular on the radio these days. I can see the potential of a career for him.

This is it. Vocally Royston hasn’t done anything above and beyond what a lot of people have done on talent shows. He’s a decent singer though and I’m glad he’s in the finale (I actually gave him a couple of votes after Sunday) but I just don’t think he’s winner material over the others.

2 Likes