Australia Day

Its not a “trend or just a gimmick”, mate. This has been happening more and more over the past few years. It’s a movement towards change.

Even the Australian Open has this year moved away from making a big deal of Australia Day.

1 Like

As far as people that are choosing to work tomorrow to make a point who aren’t getting a day in lieu, more fool them in my view. You’ve done nothing to advance indigenous rights but instead just made your most likely wealthy, most likely non-indigenous boss a little bit wealthier with your free labour for the day.

If you don’t like Australia Day, that’s fine, but working on the day is not the right answer in my view. Mark it in your own way with reflection or a donation to an indigenous charity or something else. There’s a decent list here:

I think that support is already there in a holistic sense. We are a multicultural society, the landing of the First Fleet is becoming increasingly less relevant as the years pass.

Until something is done about changing the date, the calls for changing it are only going to grow louder and louder by the year.

It’s time to make a change.

3 Likes

They’re just going to take a different day off. A few in my workplace who are working tomorrow are just taking Friday off instead to have a long weekend.

3 Likes

I probably wasn’t clear, my criticism is only for those who choose to work and who aren’t taking a different day off in lieu (for whatever reason).
Anyone who’s working tomorrow to have Friday off has my full support, nothing beats a nice long weekend! :slight_smile:

Who would do that? Is it even legal?

1 Like

I guess another way to look at it that might change views (for those who continue to support January 26 as Australia Day) is that is January 26 really a day to celebrate for people of British descent either? Plenty of English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh etc. suffered under the Empire too (with the penal colonies). Do we really want to commemorate the founding of what was effectively a giant island prison?

I will put my hand up and admit to misinterpreting your post (where you said people were making the last minute decision to work Australia Day), I thought that implied that they weren’t taking a day in lieu. I apologise for any offense taken.

I’m fairly certain there’s some people out there who are passionate enough that they would indeed do that though.

As far as being legal, as long as ‘reasonable additional hours’ clauses exist in employment contracts (such as in most ‘professional’ roles), working outside of normal hours without remuneration is perfectly legal and sometimes demanded (but that’s for another topic- a workplace relations topic on here would be interesting to have though).

I’ll clarify my own view as I know I’ve come probably come across as opposed to the idea- I actually support changing the date. I don’t support anything that results in less net public holidays (we really don’t have a lot compared to some countries), and my preferred solution is to have Australia Day on a neutral day (March 3rd is my favourite, Labour Day in relevant states can be moved to October or even around now in lieu of current Australia Day) and a reconciliation themed day as well. I also don’t see changing the date as being a magic cure-all that will fix things overnight. Yes, it will be symbolic, but it isn’t going to stop things like the heartbreaking scenes we have seen out in Alice Springs today. As a nation (and this is a criticism I have on many issues, not just this one) we spend too much time, energy and money on the symbolic stuff instead of actually investing in the communities that need it most. Build proper houses, proper roads, proper infrastructure in these remote areas and provide opportunities for employment and education. That sort of thing is what will truly close the gap in my view.

Maybe the day should be called Independence Day on Jan 26 rather than Australia Day.

1 Like

Massive uptick this year in the number of hospo venues and retail referring to tomorrow simply as a “public holiday” making no reference to Australia Day at all.

I suspect we’ll see a change in the next 5 years at this rate.

Look if Easter, Christmas, New Years Day, ANZAC Day and others get changed it won’t be a good look IMO. They are the ones that bring the nation/state together.

How to demonstrate to knowing stuff all about Australian history in 20 words or less.

6 Likes

As an indigenous person whose roots lie in the Darambal nation, though not as deep as one would like, I feel as though I should make some sort of comment. Whether people agree or not is neither here nor there. My feelings are that the people who protest have changed their tune from merely changing the date, to abolishing the date and altering the systems that in their minds oppressed them (meaning that King’s Birthday is next on the chopping block). They’re probably realising, even if it’s emotive rather than considered speak, that there isn’t realistically any day appropriate for celebration. The Genocidal behaviours, though it may have commenced on January 26, occurred daily. Much of it is documented, even if dates are approximated, I’m sure much of it is still to be uncovered. Realistically there’s no such date, if we are using Genocides as the trigger point, that we can celebrate as a united front and even if the date is changed I’m almost sure that some other minority group will kick up a fuss. (I’m also sure come January 27 nobody will care).

What I will suggest though is that the suggestion that Genocidal behaviour is what’s being celebrated is, to my mind and in my heart of hearts, incorrect and assertions are blinded by the emotion around the issue. As much as our side of the story isn’t being listened to by many via their emotion, so too is their side of the story by us. I’m sure we would be better connected if we listened as much as we demand they listen to us, but everyone lets emotion get in the way and in the end we get nowhere.

Perhaps I’m more willing to forgive the sins of the past more easily than others. To suggest that there’s nothing to celebrate on this day is total fabrication. Why can’t we celebrate being who we are on this day? Why can’t we appreciate what we have gained and shared on this day despite the efforts of a few who allowed power to corrupt them? Why can’t we be thankful that we even have an opportunity to advance the causes outside of what some protesters are thinking. Sure there’s no pride in Genocide, but despite their best efforts we’re still standing, and that’s got to be worth celebrating right?

For those that don’t want to celebrate the day then that’s fine. I’ll allow you to mourn in peace and in your way without disruption. Again I’m not as connected as many who feel what the date represents, but I hope people like myself don’t feel forced to believe what you do. For those who do celebrate the day, feel free to but don’t try to act like dills, and take a moment before you do to reflect on the past before celebrating what has eventually come afterward.

Me? Well in terms of working on the day that won’t be happening as I always take the whole week off, and it has nothing to do with mourning or celebrating as I use it as a training week for running events later in the year. In any case I wouldn’t have had that choice if I didn’t take leave, as if the holiday fell on Tues/Wed/Thurs as a full time worker I’d have to work, if it was Friday there’d be nobody at work, and if it was any other day it would be a 1 in 4 chance of working (operationally as opposed to anything to do with the day itself, although I’d probably work not because I’m pro or anti Australia Day, but rather working that day would get me a step closer to an extra week’s annual leave). It should be noted that given most of the bigger businesses via demand from the people would be open anyway, a lot won’t be given the choice to work or not, nor will they find a suitable alternate date not because of insensitivity but because operationally if too many are already to be scheduled to be on leave potential proposed dates cannot be recommended to be used, and in the end they’ll be forced to take it at a time not as convenient to them.

I won’t be joining or attending protests as my beliefs aren’t aligned with what they are wanting (remember, it’s abolition of the day and the associated system). Neither will I be going to any pro celebrations, to be honest I’m not overly interested in attending cultural gatherings regardless of the day. I’ll have a run in the morning, then just chill in the afternoon. If anyone says “Happy Australia Day” or the alternate, I’ll wave back so it doesn’t seem like I’m rude or in my own world.

I also have a question for those sports people who are uncomfortable with playing their trade on said date (and they won’t be able to have an alternate day, such is their line of employment)…given that you’re uncomfortable playing on the date would you think the same way if your match was scheduled away from Australia on the same date? Would the sensitivities be the same because you aren’t playing in Australia? After all, it’s the date as opposed to the day itself that you’re uncomfortable playing on isn’t it?

6 Likes

You do realise that you live in Australia don’t you? There is no Independence Day in Australia.

On January 26, 1788, under the guidance of Captain Arthur Phillip the First Fleet of 11 British ships, carrying convicts landed in what is now Sydney Cove to form the colony of New South Wales.

The colonies came together to form the Commonwealth of Australia on January 1, 1901. We are still a constitutional monarchy with the King as our head of state so we are not independent.

Look, nobody is suggesting a change of date for “Easter, Christmas, New Years Day, ANZAC Day”.

HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY

6 Likes

Happy Australia Day. Whilst this is a difficult day for many people, I hope we can choose to reflect on everything we are grateful for in this country. Australia is the best country in the world. :australia:

1 Like

The day doesn’t mean much to me as I was born in NZ though have lived more of my life now in Australia than NZ and have no intentions ever to move back to NZ. It’s just another day … we don’t celebrate it .

I got citizenship at 16 so i assume I’m a dual citizen?

Is it just me or does the choice of Australian of the year seem a bit underwhelming? Her achievement as a body image advocate don’t really seem to stack up against past Australians of the year. If she was so influential, shouldn’t we have heard of her before now?

5 Likes

Happy Toad Hollow Day of Encouragement Day, Clashing Clothes Day and of course National Green Juice Day!

2 Likes

Agree, I’ve never heard of her before either. I assume they didn’t have any other worthy nominations, so they just picked one.