AM To FM Conversions

Fixed my post , next time I make that mistake I will send myself to the mediaspy sin bin. No posts for 10 days. :scream:.

Yeah true RE 2st which is a shame.

Interestingly I’ve noticed a few North American FM stations (particularly in Canada) have flipped to a true oldies format over the past year or so.

1 Like

It’s also the case over the other side of the Tasman in NZ, where Magic Music, which has a true oldies format, started out on AM in the three biggest cities of Auckland, Wellington & Christchurch when they first launched in April 2015. Over the past year, they’ve moved over to FM in those three cities with the format left intact.

1 Like

2GF 103.9 Maclean and 2HC 100.5 Woolgoolga FM repeaters both in stereo for local content.

2 Likes

Woopi!

2 Likes

Given the above re 2EC, I wouldn’t be surprised if 2ST’s upcoming FM conversion (which its LAP variation is yet to be finalised) would also be put on hold due to that same current inquiry, given that the Shoalhaven region (which 2ST’s licence area covers) was also badly affected by the bushfires last summer.

3 Likes

What Happened to the Old 4WK Transmitter in Toowoomba? I’m Sure Brisbane would use it as a HPON Service?

It was converted to FM, 95.5 last year I think?

Not sure what will happen with the old 1359 frequency, or the transmitter itself. I imagine it’s old, and be pulled down and scrapped.

It occurred in August 2017, which is nearly 3 years ago now.

1 Like

That Means 1359 may become Brisbane’s 2nd HPON?

The old 1359 Frequency, one of the staff was going to try to launch a MF-HPON on it with classic hits but sadly ACMA said it will not be reassigned and it is put aside for DRM apparently?? , As for the old BE AM500 transmitter… Well it was changed to 1242khz put into a portable with wheels 19inch rack and is currently sitting at the 4AK site as the the spare transmitter for 4AK as the old STC has had its day and is no longer worth fixing

5 Likes

There was also a video on the 4WK Facebook page I think that has the old 1359 tower at Willowburn coming down. Land I’m guessing will be developed.

That 1359 transmitter had some throw for 500w.

1 Like

Yes, all vacated, or already vacant AM/MW frequencies are reserved for future DRM use, & have been this way for at least the last 5-10 years, probably much longer though.

ACMA started reserving unused AM band frequencies for DRM use, back prior to DAB+ starting in Australia.
ACMA always planned & recommended using DRM for digital radio in Australia, but CRA convinced the Federal Communications minister & Government at the time, to use DAB+ & ACMA had to quickly change tack, & re-plan the VHF Band III spectrum for DAB+ rollout in the 5 capital cities.

1 Like

I’ve been listening to 2GN today & heard on the news, that local car dealers & locksmiths are having about 30 inquiries per day from people around the center of town, being unable to unlock their cars via the remote, & it’s thought to be from RF overload due to the recent upgrading of the nearby towers (News report words not mine).

So I’m wondering if the 2GN FM move is in the works, & they’ve changed antennas & things in prep, & that RF mess around Goulburn has moved into the center of town?

6 Likes

I can report that 95.1 is still a mess in Goulburn. It even triggered Eagle FMs RDS when I last went through.

3 Likes

So it’s possible the install of the directional antenna for 2GN, which is not yet in operation could be causing further mixing of Eagle and Sky Sports, and changing the patterns of RF interference?

What is it with Capital Radio’s engineering?
All of their major sites seem to be poorly engineered, Goulburn severe mixing around Mt Gray on 95.1 and now it looks like it is worse in town from reports.

My Roberts between Bredbo and Cooma 98.5mhz, has 2XL on 96.1 made the mixing on 98.5 worse?

Jinderboine Hill between East Jindabyne and Kalkite mixing of Snow fm, Sky Sports and XL fm on multiple frequencies.

None of these sites are overly powerful with Mt Roberts the highest at 50kw (directional to the south) Goulburn 40kw (omnidirectional) and Jindabyne only 2kW (Omnidirectional) and there are mixing problems at each.

Maybe with all these complaints in Goulburn might get ACMA involved and the issue might finally get addressed.

4 Likes

Looking at the ABC Reception page for Crookwell just now, the Wades Hill TX is scheduled to be off-air on Thursday 2nd July, with TV off from 11am to 12pm, ABC Central West 106.9 off from 1:06 to 2pm & RN off from 2:15 to 3pm.

I’ve been proven wrong over the past year on whenever Wades Hill goes off air, it involves a frequency change for RN to accommodate 2GN’s FM conversion. However, given what’s currently happening in Goulburn as per above post, maybe it will finally happen? :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

Mixing is even bad in Crookwell, and these are flea powered transmitters. The mixing only occurs between the 2GN/Eagle repeaters and not with the Wades Hill ABCs.

Since I am the new Johnny on the spot when it comes to the Southern Tablelands, I can always take a trip to drizzly Crookwell one day.

5 Likes

Wow that is really bad,
What are they doing wrong?

2 Likes

Skimping out on $$$ spent on cavity filters on the output of their FM TXers could be one cause - I’m speculating here of course.
These FM installations of Capital Radio really do need to be investigated by ACMA.
No fun for travellers doing band scans & having their tuners land on these spurious emissions.
And what FM DXer would want to live in one of these regions?

6 Likes