Am To Fm Conversions In Solo Markets

No activity on the conversion front for 2GN but their 106.1 Crookwell relay is taking a direct feed from 1368. Obviously some issues with the feed from the webstream:

I reckon this is a temporary fix until 107.7 starts; they will simply relay direct off that like they do for Eagle FM (103.7).

2ABCRN Crookwell is still on 107.7; there is nothing on 104.5. This means that the 2GN conversion won’t happen this year and is unlikely to happen until at least February when everyone gets back to work…though 2BS did convert last January iirc.

4 Likes

It was actually in December when they converted to FM, whilst the 1503AM signal was switched off in early January.

1 Like

Yeah you’re right. It was switched off without warning, though.

1 Like

Presumably the statutory 28 days after 95.1 launched?

1 Like

Most likely. I know there was no test loop on 1503 advising listeners to tune to 95.1, as is usually the case with a major conversion.

1 Like

4AM used to do that with its Port Douglas AM translator. It was a mess at night with the translator rebroadcasting static crashes and monkey chatter from adjacent channels. Also had limited frequency response and bad double compression. But at least it was an AM translator rebroadcasting an AM station. Not overly processed audio from an AM station being rebroadcast on FM. Yikes.

2 Likes

Ah, did someone say 4CC Agnes Water or 2MW Elanora?

Isn’t that quaint, thanks for the history snapshot, shoestring engineering I’d call it.

2 Likes

Sometimes the engineering is so bad, it’s an insult to the listeners to the extent that they are probably better off not having it at all.

You’d think blackspot funding should include adequate infrastructure to get the output to the relay TX, and not be relying on off air feeds when it’s not sufficient.

1 Like

104.1 Elanora isn’t fed off 972 AM, is it? Sure, the audio is pretty average, but not ‘piped off the air off AM’ average?

And it never has been. 104.1 has always been fed with a proper FM quality feed via 850MHz STL via Terranora. To think that translator is 20 years old.

103.5 in the beginning was fed via AM 972. It hasn’t now for a while. Unsure how it’s fed, assume via landline/internet.

1 Like

Perhaps not now, but over ten years ago, every time there was thunder near the border, the AM static crackle was audible in the FM 104.1 relay.

1 Like

Well Guys - 2XL-FM is on air !!! 96.1 MHz. Currently only testing.

4 Likes

Any new spurs, is 2XL mixing on 98.5 too?

1 Like

can’t tell on just a portable radio

link to video on YT

2 Likes

As you know the spurs are hard to receive in Cooma town centre as it is shielded from Mt Roberts. It would be interesting to check 98.5 around Bredbo now with 2XL testing on 96.1 to see if it is Snow / Sky Sports and 2XL all on top of each other. I think it would be the case.

What are they broadcasting at present test tones?

2 Likes

Thanks that answers my question.

2 Likes

2XL 96.1 heard clearly between Bungendore and Tarago today. No reception near Uringalla Creek (north of Marulan) but tropo conditions were rock bottom with a strong westerly wind. I wasn’t driving today so I didn’t get any video.

4 Likes

I am sure there would be locations where The Edge 96.1 from Katoomba will fight 2XL.

1 Like

There would be select locations but not moreso than there is already with 97.7.

Theres probably locations where it meets with Shepparton on the fringes too

1 Like

Cabramurra/Mount Selwyn would probably be the only spot, as well as parts of the Main Range. On Kosciuszko Hill itself you’d probably get both. Mount Roberts (and Brown Mountain) don’t travel over the Snowies that well and the same is true for the Shepparton stations. You can get Albury/Wodonga in parts of the Monaro, though.

3 Likes
Get Connected: Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter