AM To FM Conversions

Capture some Final Moments of 3YB on 882AM?

I was going to but didn’t realise until it was 12:02.

Switch over pretty much happened on time.

I heard it. 2 mins of ‘the switch is coming’ telling people to switch for what station they want. Then Jon and Kate burst on the air with celebrations, played New Sensation by INXS.

Looking at their schedule, surely they should be dropping the talk stuff now, so out of place. They’d be better aligned to a Bay FM / Gold 104.3 format.

1 Like

Yep, no history of 3YB. Nothing to acknowledge the 87 years (actually it’s more I think but that’s what the article said) of AM broadcasting. No old audio clips. No anything on 882 apart from an extremely annoying “you have two minutes to tune to 94.5” countdown which obviously went on both the AM and FM outlets.

Disappointing. But no one (apart from people here) cares about media history these days.

4 Likes

Of Course they will, Second Song On 94.5 is Starship’s Nothing’s gonna Stop is Now, although I don’t like the song, but it has a Good Reputation That 3YB FM is going up from there.

I am still a bit confused about the agreement to swap 3YB and RPH.

It was mentioned that 3YB FM on 94.5 will have the same coverage as Coast FM (95.3) currently has but looking at the ACMA handbook it looks like Coast FM is licensed for 20kw ERP whereas the former 3RPH was only 5kw.

3RPH 94.5 Community M DA 5k -38 18 17 142 44 15 1157809
3YFM 95.3 Commercial M DA 20k -38 18 17 142 44 15 10093184

Does the power output now change for 94.5?

Also for those playing along at home, here is the former 3YB entry from the handbook. Only 2kw but obviously AM radio has different ERP coverage characteristics when compared with FM.

3YB 882 Commercial V DA 2k -38 14 26 142 36 49 10266290

This was taken from the April 2018 handbook, no doubt an updated version will have the call signs swapped for 882 and 94.5.

1 Like

Yes.

See: https://www.acma.gov.au/-/media/Broadcast-Carriage-Policy/Information/pdf/Variation-Warrnambool-LAP-pdf.pdf?la=en

1 Like

Movin’ on up by M People is the First 90’s Song played on 3YB FM, Breaking free from the 882 Frequency which Vision Australia now has.

Could it be more cliched than that? That’s right, it’s Ace.

Well written, clearly the company itself doesn’t have an interest. For a family owned company, you’d expect better. Ace are so top heavy with management yet no one thought to do so.

3 Likes

Totally agree, so cliched. Yes and quite pathetic not to include some history of the station at least.

3 Likes

what is it with radio relaunches in 2018 and this song? It was Sea FM Bundaberg’s first song when it rebranded as Triple M a few months back.

Yes it seems very lame.
Off topic but I think a couple of the best launch songs were Cool Change (FM104) and FM/Steely Dan (96FM).

1 Like

Interesting that 3YB is still using the same/similar playlist as 3HA/3CS (News Talk and only the hits you love) but using a Edge FM style Better music, more of it tagline

A video of the relaunch is on the 3YB facebook page

3YB-FM will probably cause some grief to 7BU’s translator at The Miff (Smithton) when the warmer months arrive. The nearby Lileah ABC stations have been known to relay FM from Mount Gambier at times during intense ducting; they usually relay 103.3/104.9 Waratah off air.

2 Likes

Currently on Flinders, VERY poor 7SD coverage, really needs a FM translator of either 7SD or LA FM off Mt Barrow.

Yep my travels around that area, tells me St Helens is abit of a radio black hole apart from ABC Radio.

1 Like

94.5 Chilli FM (Weldborough) gets into St Helens absolutely fine; there’s no need for an additional translator in town. I would support coverage equivalence for 7SD, though.

Flinders would almost get 3GG (531) clearer than 7SD, even in the daytime! I’d love to try my big loop on one of the Bass Strait islands- Sydney AM stations round the clock anyone?

1 Like

I must say that wasn’t my experience last time I was in St. Helens, however, I wouldn’t rule out my D-Max being the issue. The FM tuner can be described as ‘adequate’ at best.

I will try this tmw, any other you would like me to try??
7SD was very poor on the way to my accommodation, not really any better or worst than 3GG on 531.

1 Like

Awesome Chris. Never been to Flinders but a Scottsdale local for years. The trouble with the LAFM transmission from Mt Barrow is that it’s currently only 5Kw and the antennas are directional towards Launceston.

Just slightly off topic how well is ABC 91.7 Mt Barrow received? This is a really powerful transmission, 192Kw from memory. I would image digital Tv may be more marginal and weather affected.

I echo your thoughts re Chilli St Helens, coverage is average at best (car radio Nissan Patrol). Probably not helped by the relative low power of the transmission and the distance inland. I suspect it was put up at Weldborough years ago only because it could receive a good off air signal from the Mt Horror Scottsdale transmitter.

There’s a reason why the ABC have translators at Weldborough AND St Helens…

1 Like

I was staying on the point at Steiglitz with a great LOS west (I could even get 7LA/Chilli well). Nevertheless, 94.5 was pegging the signal meter and I had it on the car radio through town without any trouble. My car radio is pretty good, though. I concede there could be black spots around town due to the harsh terrain but that would also be the case with an in-town service.

Here are some targets for you to try during the day (reply in DX thread if possible):

576 2RN Sydney
594 3WV Horsham
603 2RN Nowra
666 2CN Canberra
702 2BL Sydney
738 2NR Grafton (it was amazingly strong at Bridport)
765 2EC Bega
810 2BA Bega
846 2RN Canberra
882 3RPH Warrnambool
918 2XL Cooma
1053 2CA Canberra

The more exotic catches like Brisbane were only just there on the loop so I wouldn’t expect reception on a ‘barefoot’ radio.