AM and FM DX

That’s interesting that Triple M is considerably stronger and cleaner than Smooth or Nova.

I do notice where I am a 3-4 db difference in strength between comparable commercial stations eg. Newcastle NEW FM vs Hit106.9 or Central Coast SEA FM vs 2GO, but not 12db.

1 Like

If the accuracy can be believed (i.e. has it been calibrated), it would be because of the height of the Mt Dandenong signals and their significantly higher output.

1 Like

89.9 blank carrier now on air in Brisbane, appears to be coming from RNA showgrounds area. ‘Ekka’ starts Friday.

3 Likes

Strange choice of freq. Rather close to 89.7

95.5 4WK on the fringes suffers from interesting aircraft scatter.

Lunchtime, it was not the usual from Bundy but playing middle of the road, 80’s song. It wasn’t Myf’s program, so not from Middle Brother. I wonder if ROK skews old and it was from Parkes?

1 Like

It’s only low power I suspect, so shouldn’t be an issue?

Not many other frequencies to choose from.

1 Like

Won’t be an issue, surprised of the choice. Usually the Riverfire temp station is in the mid 90’s. My memory might not be correct, I guess they’re all in the Random Radio thread.

1 Like

I spy a website update:

Q: Is Switchwebcast.com Broadcasting in Brisbane?

A: No, switchwebcast.com is an internet stream only, Anyone broadcasting on ANY frequency within Australia is doing so without our knowledge.

1 Like

Yes the supposed RNA broadcast is low power. After about 5 km from the grounds the signal isn’t usable unless you are in an elevated area. Previous frequencies that have been used e.g. for Riverfire have been 95.3 and 93.7. 89.9 always seems to come on air around RNA time - one year it was also on for a Caravan Show.

Radcom listing

https://web.acma.gov.au/rrl/assignment_search.lookup?pEFL_ID=3922009

Transmitter Power .000001 W pY

EIRP16.4 W

2 Likes

There was amazing MW propagation early this evening. 1580 KBLA was in like a local at times; I managed to finally snag the “KBLA Santa Monica Los Angeles” top of the hour ID at 1700 AEST (midnight LA time). KEIB 1150 produced a stack of “The Patriot 1150 AM” IDs, with Alex Jones ranting away at very listenable levels. KTNQ on 1020 was also loud with Spanish talk. KPNW 1120 Eugene was also briefly strong with a George Noory voiced commercial and C2C AM talkback calls heard. From Mexico, XEB (1220) and XERF (1570) were in quite well.

There were many other stations on the 10 kHz splits but they were too weak and fleeting to positively identify. Even some of the X-band (1610-1710) channels had audio on them- music on 1670, talk on 1690. My loop doesn’t provide as much gain at these frequencies so this was a pleasing result.

6 Likes

I tried a quick bit of AM DXing in the car on the way home from my sisters earlier this evening.

Discovered that my Ford Focus car radio is very good at pulling night skip stations on frequencies adjacent to local stations.

The auto tune seeked in both 1422 3XY next to the local SBS station, and 1521 2QN next to the local Radio National outlet. They were both of listenable quality with minimal splatter (except I couldn’t understand a word they were saying on 1422 of course :grinning:).

3 Likes

Enhanced reception from Wide Bay into Brisbane tonight plus rare 2MW coming in clearly on 104.1 over the top of the usually dominant JJJ from Darling Downs.

3 Likes

Hi Guys

Just 2 YT videos on some MW DXing using both a tree & a fence

tree - https://youtu.be/brdt5yYxtxE
Fence - https://youtu.be/yfccDvp9Ow0

5 Likes

I can fight JJJ off here on occasion but I’m a bit more sheltered from the Darling Downs than you are. 104.9 from Stanthorpe however belts in here - I can get RDS on all other Bald Knob sites comfortably but have never had Sunshine FM

If not for 4JJJ, I reckon that 2MW repeater would get out far and wide across SEQ. It already does a very good job across the Coast despite the licence area ending at Broadbeach

4 Likes

Currently down the snow and found a hill overlooking Jindabyne airport with unobstructed views to the NE at approx 1100m

So really good catches on the Tucson car stereo

All Canberra fm stations received but not very strong, nationals stronger then commercial and comnunity.

Orange Nationals and commercial fm stations just receivable

Illawarra nationals from Knights Hill 90.9, 95.7, 97.3, 98.9 just receivable.

On the AM band, 549 Orange, 576 Radio National Sydney, 630 News Radio Sydney, 666 Canberra, 702 Sydney, 765 2EC, 810, Bega, 846 RN Canberra, 1053 2CA, 1314 Sky Sports Radio Wollongong,

2 Likes

Thanks!

I would have thought at 1100m and great LOS to the north east, you would have received stronger Canberra signals than that.

@dxnerd I think is from down that way… He will probably have some insights on that.

1 Like

I am very familiar with Canberra reception around these areas as down in Canberra, and Jindy quite a bit for skiing.

Canberra Commericals, Communities, and National Fm’s from Black Mountain are heavily shielded to the SW by the Brindabella Ranges, with reception issues starting from Williamsdale. Black Mountain then struggles to Cooma which is the limit of any reception on my car radio. So even with LOS to the NE at this high location above Jindabyne getting Canberra Fm is a quite an achievement.

The national Fm’s were stronger as they are at 80kw v 20kw however they were all still very weak.
I was really surprised to have received the high powered nationals from Knights Hill and most Orange fm stations at this location too which were alI very week.

I tried driving up Jinderboine Hill to dx which Is the highest point in the area, and Fm / TV transmission site, but could not access the mountain due to a locked gate.

In regards to Snow fm from Mt Roberts it’s signal does not get out very well to the north due to the terrain, and power restriction towards Canberra. Snow fm becomes difficult to receive in Michellago which is quite close to Mt Roberts. Snow fm then struggles to Tuggeranong Hill and is completely lost as you come down the hill. Therefore the Brindabella’s do the opposite in keeping Cooma signals out of Canberra.

3 Likes

Mixed blessing? Least you weren’t that close for brute force overload.

And there you have two markets with appropriate planning so that neither can complain of overspill. Not the case everywhere as we know.

I had a few spare mins Sunday afternoon in Bris and got through two thirds of an FM scan. Manning River at similar low levels. T’ba TAB HPON on low wattage also available but not the Warwick service. However, Warwick Newsradio and T’ba’s too. 100.9 ZZZ also received and Mt Nardi nationals all strong as were the usuals from Passchendaele and Mowbullan.

Nothing extraordinary from the north beyond Bald Knob, no Zinc 96 from Mt Wolvi nor Goonaneman nationals.

A couple of Sundays ago when weather was unseasonally hot, Zinc 96 no problem in Manly with RDS on a handheld ‘deaf’ radio.

2 Likes

No doubt benefiting from a shallow seabreeze inversion.

Canberra/Cooma signals must overcome the Clear Range, the high peaks to the west of the Monaro Highway of which Mount Roberts is one. Once the obstruction from the Clear Range is, well, cleared, reception improves. Canberra signals become strong again between Cooma and Nimmitabel and also between Cooma and Numeralla atop Glen Fergus Hill. There are also some strong spots up towards Adaminaby, and near Adaminaby itself even Raw FM from Canberra can be received.

3 Likes

Often there are mountains which are clear winners for line of sight to a coverage area. Canobolas is one example.

Is Mt Roberts the best site for wide area coverage?

Noticed some tropo lift from both the Riverina & Albury yesterday. Pretty rare as Albury tends to be pretty inert when it comes to DX propagation. The commercials were strong enough for RDS on my XHDATA D-808 portable. 88.3 Riverina was strong enough for stereo.

Also noted was some skywave on MW. Funny how this only occurs on some days & not everyday. Bit like Sp-E on FM. Signals like 2TM 1287khz Tamworth clear on the fence wire.

3 Likes