AM and FM DX

Good DX spot! Excellent bandscan with 360deg reception. Multiple double ups present too. I.e the Canberra nationals should be there under CennCruiach. Sounds like you might have just nabbed Canberra on 104.7.

Surprised low powered Bathurst is able to get over Mt Dowe that far north, even if it is off the back of NowFMs array. (Hence why I suggest 98.3 as the most appropriate Mt Dowe co-channel for Brock)

1 Like

2NOW has only 600 watts to the south. Add to that its vertical & most dxers use a horizontal array for reception

1 Like

Yes it was Canberra; it was booming in on my Sangean PR-D15 in a certain spot and came up very strong on the south side of the lookout.

Currently up at Sawtell. In this maritime location there is a pirate ahoy: 107.5 ā€˜2 Double Dā€™ Radio. Iā€™m not sure where on the coast this is broadcasting from but it might be Dorrigo; the signal seems stronger on westward facing hills. It is extremely professional sounding with announcements covering the Holiday Coast and Dorrigo. Nothing on the ACMA database except Glen Innes, which is a TAB outlet.

1 Like

Here is a video of 2DD Dorrigo on 107.5, broadcasting tourist information. If this is a pirate itā€™s extremely well done.

The name might suggest a disgruntled 2BBB presenter going out on their own. I cannot find any information whatsoever on Google despite it claiming to have an online presence.

Edit: I actually downloaded the Discover Bellingen app as suggested and found this page with a streaming link:

This leaves me none the wiser as to the legality, or otherwise, of this station.

2 Likes

Highly unlikely to be legal, not when based in Coffs Harbour and only 0.4 from two other local stations.

1 Like

The tx isnā€™t from Coffs Harbour as it actually gets weaker driving towards there from Sawtell. Another possibility is that 2DD is a legal, online only service, but the 107.5 transmission is a pirate rebroadcast.

2 Likes

Should now be a bit better as last time I was up at the site I turned up the mod from 80% peaks to 101% audio peaks, and added a little more low end to give the station a bit more presence on the dial

4 Likes

The Zeds were pretty strong into the Coffs Coast, equal to or even surpassing some of the Nardi nationals.

1 Like

Thanks. Well overdue.

The BA boys over the other end of the saddle, 94.5 and the Mt Moombil local ABC both flat as a tack, for speech based programming, difficult to listen to.

1 Like

Some unexpected enhanced reception this morning - there was early morning fog across SEQ. Noticed that stations from the south such as 104.7 Grafton plus Coffs Harbour and Mt Dowe nationals were stronger then usual. Mt Cenn Cruaich nationals received - 102.3 JJJ good strength in stereo; 105.5 and 106.3 also present fluctuating level alternating with Coffs Harbour commercials. Racing Radio from Mt Dowe weak on 95.9.

2 Likes

Considering the cold gloomy conditions in Sydney this afternoon there is some quite good inland tropo coming in at my location.

The highlights

98.7 constantly switching from Kandos Rylstone Community Radio to ABC Classic Fm Manning River, both in stereo at times

102.3 switching from ABC Classic Fm Canberra to Triple J Central West Slopes. Triple J the strongest of the two, especially with Aircraft Scatter

103.9 - News Radio Canberra

Orange Nationals enhanced with 105.1 Triple M being heard at times above the splatter of Triple M Sydney.

Going by the Hepburn forecast maps mid next week could be good for inland tropo coming into Sydney and nearby regions.

1 Like

I have been receiving 1386 fairly clearly in Logan City ( between Brisbane & the Gold Coast) for about the last week. I haven been able to make out where they from though .

1 Like

Is that a spur of 4KQ, since 1386 is 2 x 693?

1 Like

Not itā€™s not 4KQ different format

1 Like

The only station on that frequency Penrith HPON on 300 w. I just checked on the ACMA list of broadcasters So that is what I am receiving on my car radio in Logan City.

Bit hard, considering that station isnā€™t to my knowledge actually on air.

1 Like

What time of day are you receiving it? The only one I can think of thatā€™s on 1386 is Radio Tarana from Auckland

After 4pm

A bit further north in Brisbane and I can clearly receive 1XOR Radio Tarana from Auckland a 10kw station. At time of posting it is on Indian programming.

http://www.tarana.co.nz/

2 Likes

Last night around 10pm I received the quintet of ABC stations from the South West Slopes (88.3 to 91.5).

Itā€™s the first time I recall getting some inland ducting this far into winter, previously Iā€™ve only received it in June and certainly not after the winter solstice.

ABC stations from the South Coast and Canberra were also received, plus MIX 106.3.