AM and FM DX

It’s sometimes constant until the morning.

I get around three ABC stations here, of which I have the opportunity to time shift 30 minutes on one of them being 891 Adelaide :upside_down_face::upside_down_face::upside_down_face::upside_down_face:

1 Like

Would be even better if you can get an ABC WA station there!

Am now getting nearly all of the Canberra Black Mt stations, except that 1CMS hasn’t been able to get past the new inner Sydney HPON on 91.1

Again Hit104.7 and Mix106.3 suffer from splatter from adjacent stations

Might have received one from WA once but it was very faint. Might have to try again :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I have never received WA stations here at night.
Though I haven’t really tried in recent years.

Yesterday I posted in the RDS thread about how 105.3 NEW FM in Newcastle was having RDS issues that may have been caused by a “noisy” signal.

This was causing massive splatter onto 105.1 and 105.5, making listening to DX opportunities on those 2 frequencies very tiring.

Tonight I’m pleased to report that the signal has been cleaned up considerably today, as tonight I can hear Triple M Orange, Radio National Batemans Bay and SBS from Canberra clearly!

1 Like

There’s been the odd occasion where I have recieved 2BL as clear or clearer than 3LO from here in Geelong. Think I have once got a WA ABC, while ABC from Emerald Qld gets here a bit

1 Like

What is its site and power? Who is it licensed to? What was it sold for at auction?

This should answer your question: http://web.acma.gov.au/rrl/assignment_search.lookup?pEFL_ID=3567042

3 Likes

Thanks, just a special event service.

A few enhancements over the last couple of days. Yesterday had Coffs Harbour commercials above the noise level as well as some Grafton area - the usual 103.9 and 104.7 . Also received the lower powered 103.1 that I rarely receive as Rockhampton is on that frequency.

Yet to ID a station on 99.1 with antenna pointed north but not clear enough for ID but it could be Kids FM 20w from Toowoomba. (With south facing antenna 2NMW Mt Dowe is a constant presence.)

2 Likes

Mt Barrow ABC’s coming quite well into Melbourne.

2 Likes

We’ve been getting quite a bit of enhanced signal levels here in NSW lately with this summer that doesn’t seem to end…

Nothing that hasn’t been received before, but certainly better than what we normally get at this time of year with clear Wollongong, Sydney and suburban community stations from the wider Sydney basin all being receivable pretty much every day in the last week or so

3 Likes

The band has filled quite a bit lately.
Meanwhile… either 2FBI or 3UGE from Kinglake coming in on 94.5

1 Like

Some inland tropo into Brisbane incl Sky Sports Radio and 2GGG Gunnedah, Breeze FM Tenterfield, GEM Inverell. And from the coast, ABCs from Middle Brother.

2 Likes

Yes, Summer used to be a thing to look forward to for me, I loved the DXing opportunities, but now I’m a full time tech in Broadcast Radio & TV, it’s really causing me a lot of trouble, frustration & annoyance, & I wish it would end, like right now.

3 Likes

What times of the day/night does 2GGG and GEM FM come in for you?

No particular time - varies with opening; 2GGG just receivable at moment.

Tonight receiving NRL coverage on 104.3 that I assume is 2LM Kyogle relay as it is the same program as 2GF on 104.3.

2 Likes

As a tech is there much you can do? Do you people blaming you for the natural phenomenon? Or do you have to adjust variables to counteract the issue?

There’s generally nothing we can do but wait it out.

Yes people blame us for their reception interference issues, but 99% plus of the time, it’s not an issue with the transmitters, but local interference, inferior or deterioration with the receiver system.
We’ve had quite a few viewer complaints this summer from people in Sydney’s South West, saying they lost their TV reception, they retuned the TV & can now only pick up Newcastle TV.

CoastFM Gosford interference from Triple J Taree, just falls on deaf ears, even our complaints to the authorities got nowhere.

The transmitters run to full licensed specs year round, so there are no variables we can change, even if we’d like to triple the output power & override the DX signals.

1 Like

Even double the ERP would help. That’s bad about Sydney’s south west. AFAIK they originally planned to increase the ERP of the digital TV stations once analog was switched off. They didn’t. Maybe they need to revisit that. But, as with everything like this, ACMA probably won’t.