AM and FM DX

Local 96.3 Triple J was too strong to receive anything on 96.1.

1 Like

Looks like some tropo going on in Melbourne. Something received on 107.1? and other two way traffic on high band VHF.

1 Like

2NBC 90.1 is off air at the moment.
Perhaps this provides for an opportunistic DX target (another station) for someone in the greater Sydney area.

1 Like

Be nice if the sub metro 99.3 went off altogether to a different freq. Co chanelling with Bathurst is ridiculous.

They were proposing to move to a different frequency, which was 91.7, back in early 2004. I remember they were doing test transmissions on that frequency, but didnā€™t went ahead, mainly due to having co-channel interference from NBN3 in Newcastle.

Now that NBN has switched off its analogue transmission, they could have the opportunity to try 91.7 again, but I think the frequency would be reserved for 2ST Nowra to transmit from Knights Hill when it converts to FM (the station currently uses the freq for its Huskisson translator, which would be switched off when it starts transmitting from Knights Hill).

2 Likes

Good thinking @TV-Expert

Getting 91.7 would have been somewhat ironic for 2NSB, as they used to be on 91.5 prior to the allocation of 91.3 for Campbelltown.

And I agree, moving 91.7 to Knights Hill for 2ST to replace 999AM as part of the upcoming AM to FM conversion program is a very sensible and logical option

2 Likes

Here is my MW log from last week at Dalmeny (Ocean Parade lookout).

910 KKSF Oakland CA (presumed w/excited Spanish talks). Itā€™s format is ESPN in Spanish (ā€˜ESPN Deportesā€™).
940 KFIG Fresno CA (very strong at times with ESPN Radio network programming; NBA basketball discussion including the Denver Nuggets).
1040 UNID w/North American talkback- Hawaii or Vancouver? Strong on peaks.
1120 KPNW Eugene OR (w/ā€œCoast To Coast AMā€). Strongly faded up for about 30 seconds.
1150 KEIB Los Angeles CA (weak audio at times, struggling under 2WG splatter, but ā€˜Southern Californiaā€™ ad heard; very animated American talk host, possibly Alex Jones).
1420 KKEA Hawaii (good on peaks with ESPN Sports).
1570- Hawaii or Mexico, weak.

1580 KBLA Santa Monica CA was also heard well from Numeralla; I didnā€™t try this frequency at Dalmeny due to the local 2EC translator on 1584.

Equipment: Sangean PR-D15+ 70 cm PK Loop MW antenna.

3 Likes

Is this a particularly sensitive radio? How does it rate in your collection?

If not a DXā€™er, what is its use?

Both sensitivity and selectivity are very good. 1580 KBLA can easily be received without the need to detune, provided youā€™re away from strong 1575 and 1584 txs of course. For other stations like 1420, I have to detune to 1418/1419 kHz. The 70 cm loop does most of the work though. I have just received a Sony ICF-M780SL from Germany which is a very sensitive unit on MW; see this YouTube channel.

2 Likes
4 Likes

Fantastic that a station has acknowledged that and havenā€™t put the email / letter in the bin thinking he was stupid.

Best Iā€™ve got from my logs was ABC Local Radio New England which is probably a good 1,000km away.

2 Likes

The guys in Finland get some amazing stuff, mainly thanks to the circumpolar paths that MW signals take up there. Thereā€™s even a DX cottage in remote, snowy Lapland available for rent- itā€™s a little beyond my means and budget at this time.

1215 kHz Northam has also been received in interior Alaska (Galena).

2 Likes

Southern Tasmania far south enough for the same to be conducive there?

Some amazing mid autumn tropo happening right now!

All Wollongong, and ABCs from Batemans Bay and Bega are being received, including 2RN on 100.9 over the nearby Port Stephens FM. The most interesting thing about 2RN in this case is that it has a stereo pilot. I havenā€™t seen that before with this, or any other 2RN station. Is that new?

2VOX Wollongong is also coming in over my local Hit 106.9 in some nulls, or causing I/f in other parts.

Sydney also very strong.

And I reckon thereā€™s a good chance weā€™ll see more of this over the next week, given the forecast is for sunny weather with tops around 27-29 degrees almost every day until next Thursday.

Yes, it has a stereo pilot, along with 95.3 Cooma which relays 100.9 off air.

1 Like

But why? Be interesting to ask BA/ABC about this.

1 Like

My mate lives in Melbourne and wants to listen to the NRL, in his work car heā€™s got 2GBon 873 in Melbourne. Does anyone know what the go is here?

Itā€™s night time and his ionospheric assisted reception is fortuitous.

Just tell him AM radio bounces further at night. Why? Oh, itā€™s all in the air above us.

Laymanā€™s guide done!

2 Likes

And that it will most likely fade in and out, so it wonā€™t be consistent reception.

1 Like