AM and FM DX

Both 666 & 729kHz ended in recent times perhaps it was early/mid last year I can’t remember news post exactly.
Not listed in WRTH 2018.

2 Likes

Radio Noumea 666 - one of the first overseas radio stations on MW I can remember receiving.

2 Likes

Indeed. So easy to receive from Brisbane. Good lesson in direction antenna too with 666 on air from all directions, Noumea, Canberra, Mt Isa and Biloela.

Fascinating to know. I wonder why.

1 Like

Perhaps Hawaii and mainland USA would be more easily achievable there with just a handheld radio and using the in built ferrite rod antenna.

1 Like

Good thought

Pocket FM transmitters now cover near enough to 100% of their territory & maybe the 666 MW txer also got to the age where they needed replacing & it was an economic decision not to replace it/them?
In Europe the presence of MW has been in rapid decide for years in favour of FM or in Norway MW/FM for DAB.
TDF’s (operator of France Inter, 1ere, RRB & Djiido in NCL) parent company is European & they probably follow the European path of favouring FM in place MW…(Just some speculative thoughts).

1 Like

Tropo Enhancement to FM signals from NSW Central Western Slopes & Orange this morning.

Here is a first, something on 100.7 possibility Highlands FM from Macedon coming into North Melbourne tonight.

2 Likes

Could it have been ABC Local Radio from Gippsland?

1 Like

Some inland tropo this morning into NW Sydney.

Eagle fm as moderate strength.
Canberra Nationals all received, and Mix 106.3 receive best on 106.25 to reduce splatter from KIIS.

2XX also in but very faintly with noisy stereo.

102.3 is a mixture of Classic Fm and Triple J Central West slopes.

Also some slight enhancement of Newcastle.

1 Like

Sounded like oldies music so it could have been 3GLR.

Looks like there was a bit of a Digital TV opening to Regional Vic but nothing was decodable.

2 Likes

I assume you are in Brissy?

1 Like

That is setting the location in AMScan as Noumea and seeing what stations can be received (around dusk) with certain signal levels.

1 Like

Some excellent tropo again this morning at my location below is a band scan on the Tucson car stereo in Stanhope Garden shopping centre car park

89.7 News Radio - Bega Cooma (modetate)
91.5 - Triple J Coffs / Grafton) (weak)
91.7 News Radio Tamworth (moderate)
92.7 Sky Sports Port Macquarie (moderate)
93.5 Eagle Fm (strong) full stereo
93.9 Radio National Tamworth (weak)
94.7 Triple J Tamworth (weak) was moderate signal earlier
96.7 Classic Fm Mt Dowe (moderate)
97.1 Radio National Middle Brother (Moderate)
97.5 2GGG (weak)
98.3 2XX (modetate)
98.7 Classic Fm Middle Brother (modetate)
100.1 Triple J Bega Cooma (modetate) over Hornsby Community Radio
100.9 Radio National Bega / Cooma (modetate) over BANKSTOWN community
101.5 Triple J Canberra (moderate to strong at times)
102.3 Classic Fm Canberra (modetate to strong)
103.1 Classic Fm Tamworth (weak) first time catch
103.9 News Radio Canberra (modetate to strong)
104.7 Hit 104.7 (moderate) no interference from Star / Triple M
105.5 SBS Canberra (Moderate)
106.3 Mix 106.3 Canberra (modetate)
This may be the last good catch of the season.

2 Likes

Had some enhancement from northern NSW last night and this morning bringing in 2GF 103.9 and New 104.7 Grafton.

3 Likes

Intense Newcastle Fm ducting into Sydney tonight. All stations at local strength and with RDS on KO, 2NUR, and Hit 106.9.
Wollongong TV dropping in and out due to co-chanel interference.

2 Likes

No RDS in this location when I checked (perhaps because it’s fading now) but the signal strength of the commercial stations seems to be in the usual order of KOFM, Hit 106.9 and New FM.

Reception of 99.7 Rhema FM seems to be fairly clear (better than New FM too), while I could get a very weak signal from 2NUR-FM earlier but that seems to be completely gone now.

2 Likes

Yes I’m getting very strong Sydney and Wollongong reception up here.

C91.3 is coming in almost as strongly as the Sydney commercial stations.

Faint ABC stations from Batemans Bay as well.

Nothing from inland though, not even Goulburn which usually makes an appearance.

2 Likes

Stations to the north enhanced tonight as far up as Mackay with MMM 98.7, JJJ 99.5 and News 104.3 at good strength.

2 Likes

Still some good tropo about this morning.

I am even getting Triple J Taree coming through on 96.3 causing Coast FM some issues, despite my line of sight to the north being severely hampered. 98.7 Classic FM is clear.

In the other direction, KIX Country on 101.1 from Nowra is coming through clearly.

This is indoors on my Sangean (haven’t felt the energy to get out of bed yet :slight_smile: )

1 Like