AM and FM DX

Thanks, good to know.

On Fri 5 Jan, 91.7 from Mt Barrow along with King Island services, Scottsdale FM, Devonport FM & Burnie FM all were receivable from the Bellarine Peninsula with reception improving as the afternoon and evening wore on. Could not decode RDS from 91.7 either stationary at Queenscliff or mobile towards Mt Duneed. Coverage was good on the West Gate at night. At Queenscliff, Devonport Sea FM RDS was decoded. No Launceston FM.

AM is a given, so I don’t bother to mention the Tas AM services which are always present on the mainland.

2 Likes

I will have to have a look in Ocean Grove when I head down there.

Here is a current view of the FM’s coming in with Mt Barrow coming in loud and clear.

2 Likes

The best spot for Tasmanian reception is at Portsea Ocean Beach. I received an excellent signal from 7DBS Wynyard (106.1 MHz) in early June 2017 under typically gloomy, wintry Southern Ocean conditions.

Cape Liptrap (South Gippsland, near Tarwin Lower) yielded perfect reception of 7SEA Devonport and good reception of 7SBS Hobart, again under cold wintry maritime stratus. I would love to go back during summer tropo conditions.

3 Likes

Radio National on 94.1 from Mt Barrow has wiped out 3WBC in a first time receive.

Also all other ABC services from Mt Barrow except for RN which is not bad are coming in loud and clear.

2 Likes

The chugging has already started ._.

Better then ever now…

1 Like

In the car tonight in Newcastle, received Armidale stations, ABCs plus SKY Sports 104.3.

Closer to home with more elevation, HIT and Triple M from Kempsey and even Coffs Harbour was received with RDS, along with Port Macquarie.

This has been the longest continuous tropo event I’ve seen for a few years now, been going 4 days straight so far, Tropo forecast suggests a bit more to come still this week, maybe not as good as the last few days though.

3 Likes

This has been the longest continuous tropo event I’ve seen for a few years now, been going 4 days straight so > far, Tropo forecast suggests a bit more to come still this week, maybe not as good as the last few days though.

Indeed I couldn’t agree more. What’s more I’m amazed at just how accurate the Hepburn tropo forecast maps have been for the tropo VHF dx experienced over the past 4 days. I was looking at at the maps earlier today & was wondering if someone north of Sydney might hear the Armidale stations & here you are reporting reception of Armidale. Great stuff.

Still looking ‘interesting’ with the developing tropo duct between NSW & NZ for the rest of the week.

Good luck to all listening from coastal NSW.

3 Likes

While this is the first summer FM DX i’ve done. It’s been the best so far with the Mt Barrows and hopefully some DTV coming in :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Yeah, DXing for TV has become difficult and disappointing with the twin evils of the analogue switch off and the 2014 restack (resulting in the shut down of UHF 52-69).

There’s just so few frequencies to check on now, as all but VHF 10, UHF 29, 34, 45, 49-51 are permanently occupied here.

It would be great to be able to DX for digital radio here, Canberra is a faint hope, never received it here (just south of Newcastle) yet, perhaps maybe with an increase in power now that the trial has finished it will be achievable here one day.

1 Like

The Hepburn maps are derived from the synoptic weather charts; Bill Hepburn is a meteorologist by training. Coastal tropo in NSW is caused by cooler, denser maritime air overriding a warm to hot airmass which is what we’ve seen this week.

4 Likes

Some local enhancement to the North, South West and North West around this afternoon with all ABC Mt Alexander stations coming in quite good as well as 3PVR from South Morang coming in with 3WYN which is enhanced. SDRSharp_2018-01-24_15-05-57

1 Like

Mt Barrow ABC’s starting to come in.

triple j and Central Victoria still dominating over Northern Tasmaina.

Also Star / Hit FM Bendigo is coming a bit enhanced with the Mt Barrow’s.

1 Like

Some local enhancement coming in with Bay 93.9 from Geelong coming in quite good.

Also had Star (Hit) Bendigo coming in quite readable too.

1 Like

Currently receiving community radio stations from Canberra (91.1, 91.9 and 92.7, but not 98.3 due to RN from Port Stephens), all are weak. but better than the ABC stations on 102.3 and 103.9 which are barely audible. No sign of Hit104.7 or Mix106.3).

Wollongong very good, but nothing else much to report so far tonight.

3 Likes

UPDATE!

Now getting Bathurst and Orange!

Including 99.3 B Rock, 105.1 MMM, Hit 105.9 100.1 Life, 100.9/106.7 SKY and the ABCs (except 91.9 PNN).

Canberra ABCs also better now too.

3 Likes

Fu#$#ng hell.

Here is the report:

Some new sightings on both 89.7 and 97.7. with 97.7 Been 3SER and 89.7 is now ABC Radio National from Belechers Lookout, near Hobart.

All other usual’s as well as Wills Hill are coming in Loud and Clear.

Edit: 9:32PM Local Radio Northern Tasmaina now sinking at normal levels and 7XS (7AUS) on 92.1 is splattering.

3 Likes

Hit104.7 and Mix106.3 now being received.

2 Likes

What would be the station on 94.3 brodcasting Sport right now?

I’ve just heard something on 94.3 and it sounds like sport. Newsradio yields nothing. Also I may have heard triple j on 94.3 as well.

1 Like

PNN News Radio has soccer at the moment so possibly Ballarat

2 Likes

Canberra Nationals also received here at Stanhope Gardens but only News Radio and ABC Classic Fm. News Radio on 103.9 is the strongest. Suprisingly no Eagle Fm.

As I have put up a new antenna system on my roof I have rotated the Matchmaster Omni Fm antenna so it is now facing south v North.

What amazes me with this antenna it has a bit of forward gain. Where there is a gap at the front the antenna (the folded dipole) the gain is reduced. By rotating the antenna around so the back of the antenna is facing the signal I get a stronger signal.

I now can get Power Fm again over Rhema, but very distorted. Central Coast Community and Newcastle Fm is not as good as before, however I still can receive ABC Classic fm from Middle Brother on 98.7

2 Likes