AM and FM DX

It was around 7:30PM last night but I did look the guide and it did have Vietnamese on both NSW and VIC feeds.

I did try and match the feeds but I just realised that Radio 1 in Corowa is on FM and Radio 1 in Melbourne is on AM so that’s why it did not match

90.9 did come back with a carrier only for about 30 seconds about an hour ago but KROCK and Hit Bendigo 91.9 are coming in quite good at the moment.

I will have another look at around 10:30 - 11PM because that’s when the tropo is forecasted.

I can’t explain the choppiness tho that was on the frequency. Tho the mention of Shelly Beach in NSW was interesting.

I did try and match the feeds but I just realised that Radio 1 in Corowa is on FM and Radio 1 in Melbourne is on > AM so that’s why it did not match

Yes a trap. Should have been listening on 93.1 MHz as you now realise :slight_smile:
Often too many things to think about with (Frantic/Manic) FM DX

SBS has done a lot of work on their radio website pages.
There’s always the SBS Radio app, SBS R 1, 2 & 3 feeds on TV & also via DAB+ that you could & should consider trying to parallel with.
In fact 8 audio program feeds in total, SBS R4 is usually just BBC WS.

So can I ask. Do you receive SBS Radio from Morwell on 90.9?
Does it have a stereo pilot carrier or mono?
I last logged Corowa 10 years ago & it was mono at the time.

I heard that mention of Shelly Beach too. I’ve heard of a Shelly Beach in Cronulla, Manly & NSW central coast - all still perplexing given the 90.9 FM frequency.

Am now getting 2WYR 92.5 Moss Vale in a null of ABC Central Coast.

102.9 2ST and 2VOX 106.9 back again in a null of the local SCA stations.

Sydney high powers belting in again.

Looking forward to more DXing tonight after dinner! :grin:

SBS FM is Radio 2. SBS AM is Radio 1.

There’s a Shelly Beach near Apollo Bay according to Google, which suggests the 90.9 feed is from 8SAT Beech Forrest

1 Like

Currently getting tropo reception from Newcastle (exc. KO), as well as Port Stephens & Taree. On top of that, a moment ago, I also had brief E-Skip reception of the ABC/SBS FM stations from Adelaide.

Update: I’m now getting hit107 via 90.3 from Adelaide Foothills, as well as 92.7 Fresh FM from Adelaide, which comes in quite clear.

3 Likes

I’m now getting E-Skip reception from Townsville.

3 Likes

Hi TV Expert,

I’ve been looking at the Ionograms this evening at:
http://www.sws.bom.gov.au/HF_Systems/1/3

Sydney & Townsville ionographs have dense ionosation & Townsville up to 20MHz

I reckon for people in Tasmania/Victoria & maybe southern part of South Australia with decent
DX equipment that they could/might possibly receive double hop SpE propagation into places like PNG, Irian Jaya (West Papua), Solomon Islands & the like at the moment if not already.

Not too much received here other than NZ earlier, parts of SA & Emerald Qld.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification AustralianAerial re SBS - I obviously got confused.

re Shelly Beach - good work re Apollo Beach research on Google. The extra effort makes the difference.
What is it with that name ‘Shelly Beach’ most beaches have shells, surely an original name would be less confusing for us all… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There’s one on the NSW Central Coast not far from me, but spelt Shelley Beach. Maybe a nice girl with that name once lived there…

2 Likes

Mt Barrow now coming in loud and clear.

I’ve only received it a couple of times. Hence why I have it programmed in to the software.

As to if it was mono or stereo. I don’t know, it might have been stereo IIRC.

1 Like

Currently receiving 88.5 ABC Northern Tasmania from King Island (first time)

Also receiving 89.7 ABC from Tasmania (first time)

90.9 Which is Triple J Northern Tasmania not SBS Radio (note the sync between Bendigo and Northern Tasmania)

ABC RR which might be Local Radio?? Wills Hill on 91.3. (First time)

Local Radio Northern Tasmania has faded out but was receivable on 91.7

7XS (7AUS) on 92.1?? was coming in (first timer)

Bay 93.9 Coming in very clearly on 93.9FM.

94.3 Don’t know who is coming in there but it seems like a mix of Hit Gippsland and ABC News Radio Ballarat.

Here is what it looks currently at 22:20

1 Like

It’s actually transmitting 7XS, but uses the 7AUS licence due to 7XS’s 837AM Queenstown service being off-air, as its AM transmitter has been damaged & deemed unrepairable.

3 Likes

Corrected. Thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

Though I believe they have applied for a 2nd commercial FM licence for Queenstown.

Thats pretty exceptional to have C91.3 up that far well done.

1 Like

In October 2017, SBS Morwell was relaying ABC TV; I caught it with Question Time during a visit to Mount Donna Buang summit. This confused the heck out of me until I caught an ABC TV ID at the end of the QT broadcast. Obviously an error with the feed which may be from a satellite or set-top box receiver.

I’d advise all on the Tasman Sea coast to keep an ear out for NZ tropo over the coming days. The best bets are 91.4 (Concert Mount Te Aroha), 91.6 (More FM Kaitaia), 91.8 (More FM Auckland), 92.4 (Radio Trackside Kaitaia), and 103.4 (Niu FM Hamilton, Pacific islands talk and music).

3 Likes

Multiple stations from New Caledonia into Brisbane some with RDS.

1 Like

Just had all the Mackay signals into Moree NSW

2 Likes

This was new for me 102.5 Radio Rythme Bleu on Lifou, New Cal with a good signal for a few hours.

RRB was also received on three more frequencies but not as well. Nouvelle-Calédonie 1ère was present on 4 frequencies and Radio Outre-mer 1ère was strong on 91.5

Later RRB on 102.5 was replaced with an equally strong signal from hit 102.5 Mt Isa

(Assuming there is a .5 missing from the decoding).

2 Likes

Back in NW Sydney and some great ducting again this evening. Mainly Newcastle, and Mid North Coast from Middle Brother.
KO the best as normal of the Newcastle commercials with RDS.
ABC classic Fm the strongest from Middle Brother. Triple J completely enilating Coast Fm.

Some strange ducting has been affecting my TV reception from Kurrajong Heights off and on today. Was off air this morning and earlier this evening, back on air now.

3 Likes