AM and FM DX

I’ve also been getting the E-Skip reception of 91.7 ABC Local Radio Launceston/Northern Tasmania and 93.9 ABC Classic FM Hobart.:slight_smile:

4 Likes

They are pretty strong, Hit 100.9 struggling at times over the Bankstown community station.

1 Like

All gone now

1 Like

Same here, mostly. 93.9 Hobart still there, not as good as earlier

Oh well, a bit of regular tropo is starting to build again anyhow.

Whilst down at Killcare Heights, I got The Sound on 91.5 from NZ (as I heard their positioner). Though their website doesn’t list it on that frequency, and Google searches don’t reveal anything either.

Harmonic from normal frequency??

I’d be surprised if a harmonic could make it that far?

A few stations logged this morning

Hay 2RVR 88.1 ABC
Leongatha 3MFM 88.1
Melbourne Southern Suburbs 3SCB 88.3
King Island 7NT 88.5 ABC
Bright 3ABCRN 88.9 50w
Kangaroo Island 5KIX 90.7
Jindabyne 2SKI 94.7 Snow FM
Strathalbyn 5EFM 94.7
Karoonda 8SAT 95.3 Flow FM
Hobart 7THE 96.1
Kerang 3SHI 98.7 Retransmission - this had Mixx FM RDS
Bairnsdale 3TFM 99.9 TRFM
Mount Gambier 5GTR 100.1
Devonport 101.3 HPON Racing

3 Likes

Very strong signal on main frequency but it is not that really possible.

1 Like

That particular service comes from Greymouth on the West Coast of NZ’s South Island. I’ve received it for a fair period of time whilst I was at Stanwell Park Beach in December 2014.

2 Likes

We had a combination of Es and tropo here in Brisbane this morning which made things interesting. Some notable catches:

Es
Smooth (w/RDS), SYN and Light FM (w/RDS) from Melbourne
Fresh FM (over Mix Sunny Coast), and Mix 102.3 (w/RDS) from Adelaide
5MMM from the Adelaide Foothills on 98.3
Hit Wagga and another music station battling it out on 93.1 (possibly Renmark, SA?)
MMM Bendigo (w/RDS) and a three-way fight between Hit Bendigo, Hit Warwick (w/RDS on peaks) and Sea Sunny Coast on 91.9
Bay and K-Rock from Geelong
JJJ and Classic FM from Hobart

Tropo
The aforementioned Hit Warwick on 91.9 (w/RDS) which never usually gets over the Sunshine Coast here in Brisbane
Most of Mt Dowe, including Now 98.3 and GGG 97.5
Breeze Tenterfield (w/RDS) on 102.5
Mt Moombil (Coffs) and Middle Brother (Taree) ABC stations
Gem FM Inverell on 95.1

On an earlier topic, with the conditions about today I could listen to the cricket on ABC Radio on the following frequencies:
90.3, 91.7, 92.3, 94.5, 95.5, 99.1, 104.9, as well as the local on 612 AM, and that’s just counting the tropo

4 Likes

Getting ABC Classic FM on 93.9 from Hobart marks a milestone for me in FM DXing at my current residence.

It no longer leaves any frequencies that I haven’t received a station on (at the usual 0.2 mhz intervals from 88.1 to 107.9).

The only qualification to that is that 103.1 and 103.3 aren’t and probably never will be DXable here due to Hope 103.2.

3 Likes

I’ve had the following stations around 2CBA:

103.1: Hit Townsville
103.3: TAB Muswellbrook, TAB QLD (Barcaldine?), 2JJJ Albury.

Mind you, it takes the Sony XDR-F1HD, a monster Es/tropo opening, and aiming away from 2CBA to achieve it.

1 Like

I just googled the Sony XDR-F1HD and this model was apparently never sold in Australia.
There are a few mentions of the American version that has HD Radio.
Is yours one of those?
It’s a very nice looking unit too.

Indeed. I received 91.5 yesterday as well. Lic Registered to West Coast Ltd. so that’s probably the reason why not listed on ‘The Sound’ website - just to make our investigations a little more challenging.

1 Like

Yes. You could get them on eBay quite readily at the time I purchased mine (2009); they are rare and expensive now. I did see a Sony XDR-S10HDIP on there yesterday for a reasonable price; performance should be equal but it’s bulkier as it includes an iPod dock!

I also have a Sony XDR-S3HD which has its own speaker and has rotary digital tuning.

1 Like

Based on only a very quick check while in the Harbour City not long ago, it did appear that 103.2 doesn’t put out the offensive spray across adjacent channels that some others do around the place. It gives you half a chance as dxnerd says, compared to other stations that aren’t so well behaved (for instance 4MBS here in Brisbane is criminal with how much it pollutes the dial)

Here in SEQ we get presented the challenge of 99.4 and 100.6 coming off Mt Tamborine. I’ve achieved the trifecta of 4JJJ Wide Bay, 4RBL Mt Tamborine and 4ABCRN Coffs, on the Gold Coast too where the 99.4 signal is very strong, but that again took a monster tropo opening although was just on the car radio. I believe 100.5 (Zinc Noosa) / 100.6 (Breeze Mt Tamborine) / 100.7 (Hit Toowoomba) trifecta can also be achieved but it takes the right location and/or right conditions

2 Likes

Does the 107.9 HPON in Sydney have a stereo pilot?
I think I received that here last night - just a dead carrier with stereo pilot.
Normally 2ICE here, though that is usually weak and battles again the 2GO splatter a bit.

A chance that it may have been 2ICE with no sound present though.

I can confirm that 107.9 Hurstville is an open carrier in glorious stereo. I still haven’t got around to notifying the ACMA about it; I’m sure the Voice of Islam will start broadcasting on it in the near future though. Mercifully 91.6 is still clear, though the Year Of The Dog will usher in the 2CR broadcast I’m sure.

3 Likes

Looks like a opening on both FM and AM from Tasmaina to Queensland.

Tonga into Numeralla yesterday afternoon.

1 Like