AM and FM DX

That would be 2KRR, Kandos Community Radio.
It gets out very well for 1KW.
It was dominating the 98.7 frequency on the car radio when I was at Rouse Hill around 6pm last night.

6 Likes

Good old Summer Tropo this morning, all Newcastle fm stations enhanced,
102.9 Triple M, 2NUR, New and Hit all received in stereo.

Some weak Middle Brother, and just some weak fleeting Classic fm Canberra. Canberra nowhere as strong as forecast by Hepburn. I think last night was prime for inland Tropo.

4 Likes

It was a rare catch for me last night too, 2ABC is usually dominant here.

2 Likes

Not so rare here, Classic fm is more dominant but 2KRR can cut over the top with intense inland tropo.

4 Likes

2KRR does have an excellent TX site, you can’t miss it travelling in the area.

4 Likes

2KRR also uses mixed polarisation, enabling it to be heard well on horizontally polarised rooftop Yagis. They were basically a permanent signal from my former Oatley QTH, and they are semi-regular down here as well (even in Bungendore town).

Many low powered community stations use vertical (or vertically biased) polarisation. 2BRW also uses mixed polarisation and peaks in the proper direction when using a H Yagi. In contrast, 100.3 2CN/t Braidwood uses vertical pol and peaks off direction, and is stronger on the car radio and with the TEF.

4 Likes

I took my TEF over to Hyde Park in the Sydney CBD at lunch time today (whilst down here for a couple of nights) with just the 70cm whip.

Again, it handled the concrete jungle well. Had 2BA on 103.5 and also Middle Brother ABCs on 97.1 and 98.7. Most suburban community stations could be received in stereo and with RDS where available.

Also had 2ST on 102.9 in clear stereo with RDS. I know much has been made of reception in various parts of Sydney. Perhaps it just has a better signal to the north and east of Sydney than to the west?

5 Likes

Had 102.1 ABC Sunraysia (Swan Hill) on the Hume Hwy in Victoria on Tuesday over 102.1 Edge FM & strong signals from ABC & Hit Griffith/Mt. Bingar deep into Victoria. 102.5 Edge FM Deniliquin was also strong at times in Melbourne.

6 Likes

I’ve always thought that the 102.1 co channel in northern VIC is one of the dafter pieces of planning around. Nothing to stop 3MIL Swanning into places like Shepparton and even to the doorstep of Wangaratta.

4 Likes

Yes, I’ve had Edge and 3MIL co-channel a lot north of Bendigo.

4 Likes

I was measuring out the distances on Google Earth to the Hume Hwy from the ABC Goshen (Swan Hill) transmission site & it’s around 240 - 285km from parts of Hume Hwy. Mostly flat terrain for most of the run from the ABC outlet Swan Hill transmission site.

Recalling recent logging notes in Gundagai by @Radiohead trying reception from Mt.Parnassus, where also some FM broadcasters transmit from & the spurs & overload experienced. Whilst recently passing through the town I thought I try the similar height lookout in South Gundagai at the end of Luke St. (see below)

You can see Mt.Parnassus off to the right of view.

Unfortunately was some overload there too with a false spur of Triple M 100.7 on 97.5MHz.
Noted that 99.1 2AAA is just a o/c in town.
But a big surprise was easy RDS level reception of 102.5 Edge FM Deniliquin from there - 300km distance around midday.

3 Likes

I’m not sure if I am misinterpreting your post, but the ABC 102.1 is from Swan Hill (Goschen), not Mildura (Yatpool).

4 Likes

Oops, my memory failing me, yes you’re right I forgot about Swan Hill.
Thanks for the correction. I’ll fix up my posts now. :+1:

3 Likes

Yes, to be clear, 102.1 transmits from near Swan Hill. It does however relay ABC Sunraysia/Mildura and so its callsign is 3MIL. I should have said 3MIL/t to negate any confusion.

The flat terrain of the Murray-Darling Basin means FM signals go further, even in non tropo conditions.

3 Likes

It’s still the same power as Mildura, 200kw is hardly a translator I guess! :rofl:

4 Likes

Though there are some examples of the parent station being lower powered than the sibling; 2BBB comes to mind and there are probably others.

I have received Swan Hill (102.1 and 105.3) via tropo into Sydney on a couple of occasions on the Yagi, and also got them from Black Springs near Oberon on the car radio.

4 Likes

Rockhampton ABCs into Brisbane this morning.

4 Likes

As we get closer to the Winter Solstice starting to get some day time AM skip.

Weak 3NE on 1566 and 2AY on 1494. These stations will get stronger and more daytime permanent as we get into the depth of Winter.

8 Likes

Some mild FM enhancement around this morning… had Triple J Coffs Harbour and News Radio SW Slopes mixing on 91.5 … Canberra stations also stronger than usual.

But nothing particularly strong.

3 Likes

Any DX available with the rolling clouds some days ago or not the right conditions?

1 Like