AM and FM DX

Pacific Star Network might be doing maintenance work? Might be worth calling them: (03) 8420 1116

I would love to see whether Melbourne DAB+ might be possible at locations right down the Great Ocean Road with good LOS (think at the point at Apollo Bay and the like). While Mt G might be a stretch in anything but the best conditions, some of the closer spots may receive semi-permanent signal

On that note, have there been any reports from Northern Tasmanians on whether DAB+ from Melbourne can be received there on the right days? Iā€™d guess the lack of signals and hence equipment for DAB+ down there might inhibit the likelihood, but surely in the right weather it could be possible?

2 Likes

Iā€™m planning to head down to Apollo Bay again next month; Iā€™ll try and take a DAB radio with me, though my pocket rocket Sangean has put on its invisibility cloak. I daresay Melbourne DAB would be possible in Northern Tassie; I had no trouble pulling in Nova 100 at Burnie on a cheap Walkman inside a motel back in 2003 (motels are shocking for RF noise).

I hope to visit the Apple Isle again soon to provide empirical evidence. Eddystone Point on the NE coast would be another intriguing spot, with a handy mostly coastal path to Sydney and Wollongong. Alas, there are no FM stations transmitting from the NE tip of Tasmania to receive up here.

3 Likes

Cape Portland might be better? More northerly or not protected enough?

Receiving 106.3 Coffs Harbour and 98.7 Classic FM Port Macquarie tonight

Very very weak but readable.

https://soundcloud.com/ozlefty/999-fm-triple-j-narabri-23217

99.9 FM ā€¦ confirmed as Triple J ā€¦ should be Narrabri? only triple J i can find on that freq.

Distance is 675kmā€¦ Signal 4-5dbuv

2 Likes

Good catch it would definitely be JJJ from Mt Dowe. Iā€™m receiving some of other ABCs from there at the moment (96.7, 99.1, 100.7). Also from the same site 91.3 MAX FM is fairly good plus Sky Racing 95.9 at lower level. Triple G 97.5 keeps fluctuating with Triple M at Dalby.

I received 106.3 Coffs Harbour tonight too (here in Newcastle, whilst out in the car).

Did you get any RDS text?

For me, the RDS station name STILL came up as 2CS FM !!

Strange that it comes up as 2CS FM. Maybe the radio has picked it up before and it had it stored. Iā€™ve had that happen before. Triple Mā€™s RDS for Coffs is ā€œTriple Mā€ ā€œCoffsā€ ā€œCoastā€

1 Like

2MAX and 2GGG very strong again this morning in Brisbane.

I didnt receive any RDSā€¦ signal was way to weak for that.

@TV.Cynic 97.5 Dalby is HIT not triple M :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thatā€™s right, forgot that 4GR is MMM - I checked that 97.5 was in parallel with 89.1 Kingaroy at the time, so it was the Hit station.

Yes, the last time my car radio picked up 106.3 Coffs was before the switch.

However, I didnā€™t have that issue with 105.1/106.7 Kempsey, on which I also received the stations for the first time last night since the rebrand and it came up with the correct station names.

Perhaps the 106.3 signal wasnā€™t strong enough to resolve this.

some southern conditions around tonightā€¦ very mild but worth a look if your still awake

hearing something 102.5 i cant identify ā€¦ fades as soon as they say something that might give me a clue!

a few little lumps there :slight_smile:

Edit: ending up being Breeze Tenterfield

2 Likes

That sounds like GEM FM ā€¦ only one I can find on 95.1 is Bowen QLDā€¦ surely not??

thats 891k!! and no signs of any other stations around that area

2 Likes

There is also a GEM FM commercial broadcast on 95.1 in Inverell, NSW.

1 Like

wellā€¦ id say more then likely Inverell then whitsundays! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Receiving GEM from Inverell in Brisbane at the moment plus 93.5 PNN from Inverell.

Gunnedah stations strong again this morning. Interesting that 2GGG IDā€™d as ā€œacross the north west, Tamworthā€™s Triple G and 104.1 Coonabarabranā€.

1 Like

Tamworthā€™s GGG ??
:smile:

Reminds me of the classic story @hatdj posted on the old forum about 103.1 Classic FM Tamworth relaying GGG by accident on one occasion since itā€™s fed off air from Mt Dowe, whereby their Classic FM is on the nearby frequency of 96.7. GGG was playing ā€œEnter Sandmanā€ by Metallica at the time. Must have given the Classic FM diehards a fright!