AM and FM DX

Yes, you’d need pretty reasonable analogue FM reception to get digital.

Even up here at Charlestown, digital radio cuts in and out a lot when in the car.
Reception is non existent in Newcastle itself during normal conditions.

That’s why some don’t work well plus it’s an Komatsu electrical so that plays with the AM especially

receiving Rockhampton stations tonight… weak but listenable

also receiving 105.9 Mackay… very weak… but confirmed as them

2 Likes

really good signals at the moment… no sign of townsville as yet

3 Likes

Good catches esp RDS on Mackay. I like how your radio converts the PI number into a US call sign. Pity there isn’t a system for Australian stations that works the same. Rockhamptonn is back this morning.

its actually a Deva 4004 Modulation monitor that I remote to which is at the station… even streams the audio back to me

1 Like

I’ll take two :slight_smile:

1 Like

hook in mate… they are only 3 grand AUD… as a mod monitor they arent that good… if you fire up your standby tx at the same time as your main… it becomes very inaccurate, but as a receiver i cant knock it… very selective and you can listen to signals down to around 3dbuv

2 Likes

What antenna do you have it hooked up to (if I am understanding this)?

that one… 3 element yagi… facing roughly south-west

1 Like

Thanks. What would be the lowest level stations received?

well i can hear 101.1 wide bay, 93.1 and 93.9 bundy all day every day… not bad considering the antenna isnt even facing that way

last night I heard 105.9 MYFM mackay in at 3-4dbuv which was listenable.

I could hear something one 102.3 (4TO) but i couldnt confirm it was it as it was very weak

1 Like

That’s really good off the back of the yagi for Bundaberg commercials.

here is a recording of 98.7 mackay at 11pm Saturday night

Receiving it at around 6dbuv

edit… signal has improved… getting 12dbuv now if anybody wants to have a tune around

Mt Lofty of course isn’t full power east but car reception on any of the three highways out of Adelaide seems to reach 140 - 160km. Waikerie, Geranium and Coonalpyn or further Keith.

1 Like

Adelaide FM gets into Mt Gambier well with any sort of enhancement; I received both the Mt. Lofty and Mt. Dandenong majors simultaneously from the Blue Lake in March last year. Adelaide FM gave up the ghost about 20 km east of the SA-VIC line heading towards Portland on the coastal route.

2 Likes

DAB+ tuner next time

It would be impossible to get BOTH Melbourne and Adelaide DAB+ services at the same time as they are on the same frequency blocks.

Even getting one of them in Mt Gambier would be a great achievement.

1 Like

Yes, try for one.

Melbourne DAB+ coverage only extends as far as Geelong??

Adelaide might be a bit better tho.

Anyways, 3MP seems to be coming in at DX quality these days. The same as 891 ABC Adelaide.

Anyone aware of a power decrease for 3MP?