AM and FM DX

Or could it be the one down at Tweed Heads… or is that off the air completely at the moment?

The Tweed Heads station is off air now.The Noosa station was very strong.

1 Like

4BC into Hawaii last month

3 Likes

Even better, ABC Local Radio into USA.

I’ve heard that 4QD 50kw Emerald is possibly the most commonly heard Australian station overseas probably because of its high frequency at 1548.

3 Likes

If barefoot, that’s a hell of a catch. I have just acquired the Sangean PR-D15, which is a newer version of the Sangean PR-D5 in the video. It is an excellent performer on MW when used with a standard PK Loop antenna. I will have to try it at the beach one night; I can receive 2ZB Wellington (1035 kHz) loud and clear each night despite 2EA Wollongong.

1 Like

I’m also surprised that 3AW or 3LO (774 ABC Melbourne) is not received in the UK or US.

I do think once that someone received 774 but now I think the BBC are already on 693 and 774.

Yep, one of the three AM/medium wave frequencies for BBC Radio 5 live

Of course it can be easier to pick up Australia from the US because of the difference frequency spacing (not just the distance). However, I bet that US DXers aren’t too impressed by the lack of station IDs on AUS stations especially ABC radio.

2 Likes

The pivotal factor enabling reception is the total water path between the east coast of Australia and the west coast of the US. The 9 kHz/10 kHz spacing difference is secondary to this, imo. By way of contrast, the great circle path between Sydney and London traverses the whole of the Eurasian landmass; it first intersects it near Hong Kong.

Sorry if wrong thread ladies and gents but I’m looking for a good quality wireless for work(mines upper hunter) (can’t take phones in so stream is out of the question) to take in the truck for footy season. Some of these trucks only pick up 98.1 Power FM Hunter Valley which is just awful, the better ones pick up Newcastle ones but when you are down in the pit it can be tough to get good radio reception depending on the truck.
AM reception is poor in the trucks so you can even get 981 2NM so you have no chance of any AM broadcaster beyond that. I can occasionally get 105.7 ABC upper hunter and with KOFM only doing half the Triple M games now it’s hit and miss whether I can listen at all.
So how much would a real strong quality receiving wireless cost me. Would like to pick up Sydney FM and AM if at all possible.

Are you near the Mt Thorley mine, or further north?

In my experience on a good quality car radio, getting reception of Sydney FM in say Singleton is patchy at best. AM is better but still not great.

So if you are down in a mine pit, reception will be more difficult again.

I don’t think any portable is going to get you vastly superior result.
It may be a bit better, but not a whole lot.

If you can’t use a phone, what about an iPod?
Put some podcasts on it as well?

Edit: if it has to be football, and if you are near Hebden by chance, 2NM is also on 99.1 FM.

I’m assuming you want something to use in a truck? My first thought is that with amplification of the signal you might be able get an acceptable signal. In cases with an existing good antenna and good radio on the truck a “car antenna booster” can make a difference, though it is essential to have good suppression of engine noise. If you Google the term you’ll see what I mean - it is installed between the antenna and the radio in the truck - some have variable gain to suit the situation.

If you are talking about a fixed location, even with a good radio, it sounds like you might need an external antenna and/or booster.

Thanks for that and yes across the road from Mt Thorley. AM signal doesn’t work at all in most you don’t get anything but when you go onto a high dump you can pick up Star 104.5 clearly in some of them. I’ll try 99.1 tomorrow. Can take a USB for podcasts and music if you wish.
Down the pit some have better reception than others depends on the radio pit in I guess because all antenna’s would be the same. We have another section which it around the top of the hole and you get everything fine in 90% of them so I’ve been writing the ones with good reception down.
Thanks though for the assistance because I thought of buying a high quality one and Power it from batteries or a USB port whatever is the go and run the AUX into the truck radio and listen through there.

Hebden is up near Muswellbrook, and 99.1 is low powered, so I wouldn’t think you would get much reception of it near Mt Thorley, but worth a try I guess…

Are you talking about operating the new radio inside the truck?

Yeah as half of them have terrible reception

Yeah if I get one with a good receiver today I’ll give it a try, as I said I surprised myself with Star 104.5 clearly once.
Also my grandfather got a digital radio and he’s pretty tech savvy for someone his age we tried mucking around but couldn’t get anything received from Sydney, would we have a shot at receiving anything?

The digital radio signals from Sydney are weaker that the analogue broadcasts, so if you can’t get analogue, I’d doubt you’d get digital.

1 Like

In general a portable radio won’t work very well inside a metal cabin - the antenna needs to be outside.

1 Like