AM and FM DX

A good couple of days here, yesterday morning I had Taree national stations belting in south of Brisbane, as well as some stuff from out west. And today was an excellent opening to Victoria - everything from Mildura to Gippsland was heard around 12:30-1pm Qld time. Will list a log if I get a chance

2 Likes

Despite all the dislike of the hot weather in the Climate topic, it can really lead to excellent DX conditions.

1 Like

Though this year here in NSW, there seems to be more e-skip action than ductingā€¦ eg. more reports of NZ or QLD reception than long distance NSW reception.

This morning, I snagged a couple of first time catches:

89.1 Radio National SW Slopes (Mt Ulandra)
89.9 ABC Radio Riverina (2RVR)

Both were strong enough to overpower 2BLU and 2VTR reception (in their weak spots) which are permanent here.

The other 3 Mt Ulandra services were also received.

No Hit 93.1 unfortunately.

Canberra ABCs and commercials also received, but reception wasnā€™t any better than Mt Ulandra.

Thereā€™s no relationship between E-skip and heatwave conditions because the ionosphere and troposphere are totally independent of one another. Thereā€™s a school of thought that lightning can affect conditions in the ionosphere through ā€˜spritesā€™, though Iā€™m not really convinced. Tropospheric ducting (tropo) is, of course, weather dependent, since our weather occurs in the troposphere.

There was some transient Es just after 1800 AEDT yielding:

92.3 4TOO/t Inkerman (ā€œ4TO FMā€ RDS)
92ā€¦7 4ABCRN Bowen
93.1 4TSV/t Inkerman (ā€œhit103.1ā€ RDS)

2 Likes

Yes, very true.

In extreme heat, there is rarely any ducting (in my experience).
So Iā€™m not expecting much action in the next 3 days when temps hit the mid 40s here (ouch).

And like last Sunday, there was some e-skip about here in NSW, but no ducting.

Had tropo this evening from the south. Stations like 92.7 Bay and Basin and 103.5 ABC Batemans Bay making it into Sydney with reasonable strength.

1 Like

I find that the high pressure often associated with these extreme heat conditions is very conducive to good tropo. Iā€™ll even be on the lookout for possible DTV DX - one can always hope :)ā€¦ On tonightā€™s menu we have signals from the north up to Rockhamtson and as far south as Mt Dowe, but mainly high power stuff so far.

1 Like

Yes, I was a bit surprised to see a bit of ducting around today too (given my last post!). Lol!

I also got Power FM Nowra 94.9 with RDS over the top of Rhema Central Coast (up here near Newcastle).

Faint 103.5 2BA (ABC South East) from Batemans Bay as well.

1 Like

Enhanced reception from the south tonight with GEM FM Inverell, 104.7 Grafton, Taree ABCs and 2ROX from Port Macquarie on 102.3. Later Rockhampton on 107.9 plus ABCs.

1 Like

Stations from as far north as Mackay booming in this morning. Triple M 98.7 Mackay with RDS - also TV from Wide Bay.

1 Like

A night of unusual reception - 2MW relay on 104.1 is over the top of the powerful JJJ and Bay FM 99.9 is coming in at local strength. Wide Bay stations also very strong - I needed to switch the attenuator on in the radio to stop all the signals mixing.

1 Like

Yep currently also getting the Bundy and Maryborough at local strength

1 Like

where are you guys? i get Maryborough and Bundy dailyā€¦ only 6dbuv (sorry cant do micro symbol!) ā€¦ 101.9 maryborough get at its best around 30dbuv

1 Like

Iā€™m in Brisbane and yes Wide Bay stations are there daily but tonight they are a local strength; no trouble picking them up with a bedside clock radio :slight_smile: Noosa low power relays are also very strong tonight.

1 Like

coolā€¦ getting 99.9 at 26dbuv

They seem to be having technical issues with their ā€œcrap deskā€ as they put it

1 Like

Mate, Iā€™m in Sandgate near the water.

92.3 Kix is just booming in here. Going up to 4 out of 5 on my tuners scale

yep booming in here too

1 Like

Iā€™m in the western suburbs of Brisbane, so I donā€™t quite get the coastal tropo the other guys here do. But tonight I noticed what sounded like a community station on 101.3 here? Signal was fairly week so hard to ID - any ideas?

1 Like

the Community station at Noosa id guessā€¦ seems to death metal hour at the moment