AM and FM DX

Reception of all stations from Mt Dowe today with NOW FM finally making an appearance - in parallel with GEM FM from Inverell. Aslo JJJ from Mt Cenn Cruaich.

1 Like

Yep, Iā€™ve nabbed about the same here in the western suburbs, with the exception of 102.3 which is an excellent catch. Well done

Also got reception of the ABCs from Armidale, 105.5 Hit / 106.3 MMM Coffs Harbour, and 103.1, 103.9 2GF and 104.7 Grafton (with the exception of 104.7, all first catches for me in this location). Reception of some is good enough that, for instance, RN 100.7 from Mt Dowe is wiping out any trace of Hit Toowoomba, and the racing station is totally overpowering any trace of Brisbane Valley FM on 95.9

2 Likes

Some great catches there.

Just had Power FM from Bega pop out of nowhere on 102.5. Opening continuing with some from Devonport, Tasmania and high power ABCs Victoria also received. Now listening to Canberra on several frequencies.

1 Like

Yep, just got 92.9 ABC FM Sydney here in Brisbane, even partially nailed an RDS lock (garbled text but it was there). Signals right up and down the coast right now

3 Likes

Yes - very big signals wiping out the semi locals from the Gold Coast.

1 Like

Caught 4MBB Maryborough, QLD on 103.5 MHz here in Sydney. It was fighting it out with a station with what sounded like horse racing on. A station on 93.1 was playing ā€˜Fadedā€™ by ā€˜Alan Walkerā€™.

1 Like

That horse racing station on 103.5 would be 4TAB from Mackay

1 Like

Seems to have died off now, but there was some good DX there in the last hour or so. Seemed to gradually shift further south, with Sydney becoming Wagga, then Shepparton, Bendigo and Hamilton/Western Vic coming in. Caught RDS on MMM Bendigo as well

I also suspect I caught Snow FM on 92.9 from Thredbo - was playing pop music about the time Wagga was in, but couldnā€™t confirm an ID

1 Like

Pretty sure 92.9 would have been 3HA Portland.

Adelaide and SA seem to be joining the party RDS on Triple D 93.7. Renmark PNN on 93.9 etc

Hit 94.7 from Emerald has been received here in Sydney a couple minutes ago.

Iā€™m now getting Hit 95.9 from Charters Towers.

A very rare opening to SE QLD today; I heard the following:

91.7 4ABCRR Gold Coast (w/ID)
92.5 4GGG Gold Coast (presumed w/Bernard Fanning)
93.3 4SBS Brisbane
94.9 4MIX Ipswich (w/ River949 RDS)
97.9 4MCY/t Tewantin

These are all first time catches from Sydney; the distances involved (700-750 km) are fairly uncommon for Sporadic E. Bendigo is semi-regular at about the same distance but never lasts long.

Apart from the above, Nambour, Maryborough, Bundaberg, Gladstone and Mackay high powered FM were received. Es was open to New Zealand and Norfolk Island just prior to my Queensland reception. A correspondent in Cooma received Fiji via double hop Es but I wasnā€™t as fortunate here.

3 Likes

Yes - it was the same in the other direction with reception from the Canberra and Sydney area unusual.

Canā€™t be 100% sure but suspect reception of 2WS FM repeater on 88.3. Heard commercials playing only with no ā€œsponsor messageā€ after them as would be expected with had it been Southern FM at the same time as Canberra stations. However, later did receive Southern FM.

As usual the SA reception included good reception of all the Adelaide Foothill stations at much greater levels than their higher power main stations ; must reflect the antenna radiation pattern?

1 Like

Just letting you know that NOW FM is a Vertical Transmission where as everything else from Mt Dowe is Mixed

1 Like

Well my car aerial had you in Brisbane this morning quite clearly. I take it you donā€™t run RDS on 98.3?

Sadly nothing from Dowe does, I looked into RDS but all our gear is too old to carry it sadly :frowning:

Well, not even NEW FM Newcastle, the largest FM station on hatdjā€™s network doesnā€™t run RDS.

Bugger, but good to know. Had pretty good reception this morning and reckon I could have resolved an RDS signal if it was there - just wanted to check that was the case. Thanks for the info

Something in the air from Melbourneā€™s north west this afternoon.

89.1 4PNN/ABC NewsRadio Emerald, near-local quality (as is 89.5 3PNN/Bendigo)
95.1 4RGK/Triple M Gladstone fighting with 3PNN/ABC NewsRadio Latrobe Valley
98.7 4RGM/Triple M Mackay in stereo over 3RPP/RPP FM Mornington
99.5 4JJJ/triple j Mackay and 104.7 4JJJ/triple j Rockhampton in stereo
105.5 4PNN/ABC NewsRadio Rockhampton in near-local quality
107.3 4ROK/hit107.9 Rockhampton in stereo.

106.3 was a fight between 8SAT/Flow FM Mt. St. Leonard, 4ABCFM/ABC Classic FM Rockhampton and something religious/community (possibly 3EON/Radio KLFM Castlemaine?). Also some enhancement to Bendigo, Shepparton and Ballarat signals.

3 Likes

Wooooo,

Nothing here in the Inner North West, just RFI and locals.

Edit: Getting something on 98.750, but that might be a image on the SDR.

Edit 2: Getting something on 99.5

edit 3: RFI on 107.9

Edit 4: Getting something faint on 90.1

95.1 Is loud and clear here, also getting some RDS on 95.150 C86C is the code.

This post will update.

1 Like

Getting Queensland stations here in Albury:
97.9 ABC Classic FM Mackay
98.7 Triple M Mackay
98.9 Unid Country Music possibly Brisbane or Townsville
99.3 Triple J Wide Bay swamping local racing radio
99.5 Triple J Mackay
100.1 ABC Wide Bay

This is fantastic given that Albury is usually a fairly dead zone for DX openings.

Edit: 94.5 ABC North Coast from Lismore coming through now

2 Likes