AM and FM DX

I think because

99.3 not suitable due to I/f from 99.3 Triple J Wide Bay
99.5 not suitable due to I/f from 99.5 Radio National Coffs Harbour and possibly to 99.7 Bridge FM Redcliffe

100.5 not suitable due to I/f to/from 100.3 Bay FM Redland Bay and Zinc96 relay at Noosa Heads also on 100.5
100.7 not suitable due to I/f from Hit 100.7 Toowoomba

Agree the even numbers are a bit off putting, I prefer consistency in spacing too.

And I also find it off putting when stations in the same market are not 0.8 MHz apart.

3 Likes

I think 4SUN did use 99.5 at one stage; obviously they got hammered by Coffs.

4 Likes

As mentioned in a previous post, it may cause some troppo during Summer, but it could still work with some specs changes.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve said it before and Iā€™ll say it again: the whole band in the ā€˜subtropical empireā€™ from Lismore to Wide Bay and out to the Downs needs to be nuked and allocated properly. This may involve amalgamating a few community stations. Amalgamation of sub-metro stations is the only way youā€™ll free up spectrum in Sydney and Melbourne, too.

3 Likes

You can say that for the whole Newcastle-Sydney-Wollongong conurbation as well. I think itā€™s worse than the SE QLD situation.

Here I often get 3 stations jammed on the one frequency (98.1). And a number of other CCIs situations involving most Central Coast stations below 100 mhz.

3 Likes

A bandscan from the Central Coast yesterday:

Iā€™m not sure since I was skipping through the stations quite quickly, but it seems like the national services from Batemans Bay some 300 km away were coming in? (Classic on 101.9, Local Radio on 103.5 and Radio National on 105.1)

3 Likes

Good catches there re Batemans Bay ABCsā€¦ definitely not permanent in that part of the world.

3 Likes

Good bandscan. I reckon thatā€™s around Copacabana or Bouddi? 2RE puts out a good signal, actually stronger than Middle Broā€™ there. May give us some grief during intense summer tropo, which might actually occur next summer as South Africa are touring (they usually bring heatwaves).

I am surprised at the strength of 2WKT and Move FM/2LT as well.

4 Likes

The bandscan took place at the northern end of the Central Coast, at Munmorah State Recreation Area.

2 Likes

Very nice signals of my local ABCs on 90.9 and 95.7 plus 2WKT during flat conditions, I bet if it wasnā€™t for that Triple M on 102.9, 2ST may had also been receivable there.

4 Likes

No, Copacabana and Bouddi are at the southern end.

2ST on 102.9 is always at Killcare Heights every time Iā€™ve tried, and itā€™s just a bit further south.

Sorry, what I meant to say there is that the above bandscan took place at the northern end of the Central Coast at Munmorah State Recreation Area. Sorry if anyone got confused there. :confused:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s even more impressive then for the southern signals; I suppose that explains the strength of 2RE.

1 Like

Curious to see how far south the Gold Coast fmā€™s are receivable on the journey back down the Pacific. Hasnā€™t been very far on previous experiences

I flew up and back.

But Iā€™ve done the drive a number of times and the Gold Coast FMs are usually gone by about Wooyung, very patchy after that.

There is a brief stretch around Woodburn, south of Lismore where they (and even Brisbane FMs) return, that is a bit of an oddity.

2 Likes

Anyone here know where I might be getting ABC on 96.1 from? My Yagi is pointing East from Melbourne. I thought it might of been ABC Classic Shepparton but itā€™s not. Anyone have any ideas?

1 Like

I certainly do but like you, I was surprised the first time I heard it. Itā€™s a self help relay of ABC Local Radio at Warburton in the Yarra Ranges. It was set up to provide better coverage in case of another ā€˜Black Saturdayā€™ type bushfire event. A similar thing has been done up here at Captains Flat (88.5) and Braidwood (100.3); both relay ABC Canberra from DAB, so no sport. I think the Warburton relay started out as a straight 3LO relay but that might be different now?

4 Likes

When I picked it up earlier this year 96.1 was a straight relay of ABC Melbourne DAB+/online, so no sport coverage.

3 Likes

It certainly does have good coverageā€¦ I picked it up my car radio just west of Sale last month.

3 Likes