AM and FM DX

Looking at this list, it would really make sense for ACMA to move 94.1 to 93.7, for Gold Coast community radio and move Rebel 93.7 Canungra to 91.3.

This would free up 94.1 as a full-powered Brisbane commercial FM license.

I think there is a 91.3 at Eagle Heights too? @tamago_otoko would know. And yes, I’ve always wondered why there are so many Rebel and Breeze outlets there. The terrain is quite challenging but surely something on the western slopes of Mt. Tamborine would cover most of it?

Canungra is in a deep valley though; it records very cold minimum temps for a site in SE QLD.

3 Likes

On the contrary, your posts are some of the most insightful posts on here.

4 Likes

Previous post you mentioned receiving Wide Bay and Coffs - was that a different location?

1 Like

Maybe they should auction off 96.5 and remove that licence.

Everytime I go past them scanning this week its a beg for money, one would have thought as a Psuedo commercial station operating on a Community licence, they would already have enough funds to keep going, being they violate the terms of their licence daily. More Ads than allowed, barely any Christian Music, copying the commercial stations playlists. If they are going to do this then they should be treated as a Commercial station and the licence auctioned as so.

(and before anyone says it, I know they are doing their radiothon thing this week but its kind of disgusting that they can beg for money for a station that is basically KIIS97.3 and B105 with a bible verse thrown in. If your going to play with the commercial boys, you should be treated as such. For an example of how a community station should be run refer to Braidwood FM or SWR 99.9 or even 4AAA up here)

3 Likes

That change could potentially work. Biggest problem is 93.7 Gympie would cause issues during summer troppo.

1 Like

It always annoyed me Christian Stations in Australia that are under a Community license but then operate as a Pseudo commercial station playing all the top hits. (Not all do I have to say, there are a few ones like Rhema in various locations that just play a Contemporary Christian Music format)

I would like to see the big capital city Christian stations adopt formats that are unique while still been Christian, Like a personal favorite Radio U in the US, which is akin to a Christian version of triple j in music format or Air1 playing Contemporary Christian Music or even Boost Radio which is a Hip-Hop Christian format.

3 Likes

Really? I thought the only Mt Tamborine stations were Rebel 99.4 and Breeze 100.6

Yes, they also used to charge $3000 to do radio school at 965. Absolute rip-off for a community station.

However, as a Christian station, it does serve a community and it won’t be auctioned as a commercial license.

2 Likes

It shouldn’t affect GC coverage though, especially if it’s on 25 kW as per the other community and commercial stations.

1 Like

We know that 94.5 Nambour and Gympie can cause interference with local radio from Mt Nardi - I expect this would be similar.

2 Likes

No, same location, just the the conditions were better on Wednesday night when I got Wide Bay and Coffs.

I forgot to add that I got Hit101.9 and Triple M 103.5 with RDS (as in bold) on Wed night too.

1 Like

Wide Bay is probably just below reception level and any slight enhancement brights them in.

2 Likes

Fair enough. There may have to be some spec changes to the GC service or the Gympie service for it to work.

1 Like

The Eagle Heights allocations are 88.9 Breeze and 91.3 Rebel, both 50 watts OD. I am not sure if they are on air? This is distinct from Canungra which has Breeze 88.9 and Rebel 93.7.

I am assuming 88.9 is meant to be an SFN?

Doing a @TV-Expert here: this explains a few things. Interestingly 92.9 was the original frequency for Canungra, not 88.9:

There is meant to be a distinct Eagle Heights infill to operate in concert with the main Mount Tamborine services. Is there an area near Eagle Heights (maybe below it) that is shaded from Tamborine?

1 Like

I’m guessing it’s a coincidence, otherwise they could have done the same for Rebel, 91.3 would be the better choice as ABC Classic from Gympie could cause issues in Eagle Heights, which has an amazing view of the Brisbane skyline by the way.

2 Likes

Might have to do a trip to the GC hinterland to suss it all out. I am no fan of the Gold Coast city districts, however.

1 Like

Well worth the trip I reckon.

Beacon Lookout at Tamborine Mountain has been my spot for DXing when I’m up there in my car. Has some shielding from the Gold Coast stations too. I’ve had Triple M Bundaberg with RDS from there.

1 Like

Would 93.7 Gold Coast be too close to 93.7 ABC Classic Gympie at a distance of around 175 KM?

1 Like

It’s probably been asked and off-topic but why the even numbers for Rebel and Breeze? It’s always just thrown me off

2 Likes