AM and FM DX

Only had a go through the 90mhz range tonight only 2 new pickups other than the usual ABC stations or Move FM Lithgow/Wave FM Illawarra.

Pick ups were Radio Five-O-Plus and todayscountry94one.

1 Like

Inland troppo around last night and this morning. Max FM 91.3, TAB 95.9, GGG 97.5 plus all ABCs from Mt Dowe and GEM 95.1 from Inverell.

I got mild reception of i98, picked up Wow FM for the first time. Also there was troppo in from Newcastle which included Triple J and KOFM.

Didnā€™t do a complete bandscan though.

1 Like

I had a rare one last night- ABCRN from Merriwa on 103.5 MHz at 50 watts ERP, featuring the unmistakable dulcet tones of Phillip Adams. I tried in vain for Gem FM Inverell; surprise surprise it was a no-show. I can only assume that their tx site favours the north.

1 Like

I tried to post last night but mediaspy was down.

Last nights Tropo was the best I had with my current setup. I knew there was something good going on when driving home from work. 104.9 Triple M was suffering severe interference from News Radio Muswellbrook on the Ponds Boulevard, with News Radio constantly cutting in over the top of Triple M, Triple J on 105.7 was less affected.

On the Digitech Fm / Dab+ tuner connected to the outdoor fm antenna, I had all Newcastle fm seekable and in perfect stereo with RDS for KO and Hit 106.9 for the very first time. All Manning Rivers were received including Triple J over Coast Fm, and News Radio on 94.7.

All Port Stephens fm were received except the community radio station on 100.9 as 2KY Bathurst was powering in.

As well as Costal tropo from the north I had inland tropo occurring at the same time.
Move Fm and Brock were in perfect stereo.
Eagle Fm was in stereo and seekable. All Orange national fm were seekable. The 5KW Orange commercials and community fm were audiable under the splatter of the locals.

96.7 from Mount Dowe was received in mono.

Canberra nationals received above the splatter of the locals. Hit 104.7 and Mix 106.3 just received.

I got something on 97.9 which I could not identify but they had the same playlist as New fm.

While this was happening the Wollongong commercials were weaker then normal with RDS not receivable.

That would have been the 2GEE (Real FM) translator from Kandos.

Currently receiving lots of NQ stations including 4AM Ravenshoe 91.3, 250w. Cairns FM on 89.1 (over the top of Hit FM), 4TO FM 102.3.

I am down in Canberra at the moment, but on the way down in the car this morning, I got Hit FM 102.3 Port Macquarie on the Hume (near Picton I think). Also got NEW FM Newcastle in the same area.

Had a bit of 106.1 ABC Classic FM a bit south of the Hume / Illawarra Hwy intersection on the Southern Highlands.

This was all between 8-9 am.

Mon 16 Jan, approx 11pm AEDT - a warmer than average night, Sydney FMs showed up in the RDS list when out of the forest between Kempsey and Port Macq on the bridge of the Wilson River.

Saturday 21 Jan 11:55am AEDT, Kendal St Cowra - tuned in 93.1 to see how far the Wagga commercial FM reached. An ad for Australia Day at the Sugarland Tavern was heard before fading out. Sea FM Bundaberg Qld received in Cowra NSW.

Sunday 22 Jan, PM hours, roads south of Cowra, then east to Boorowa, fringe reception of 95.5 ROK FM Parkes replaced by a racecall (racing narrowcast).

1 Like

And incidentally, your 95.5 with racing is from Wagga Wagga!

1 Like

Had some good FM reception from Gladstone and Rockhampton into Brisbane last night, unfortunately not quite good enough for TV - the signals were there but not enough to decode :frowning:

2 Likes

Strong W Victorian signals into Queensland today wiping out near local stations.

1 Like

I noticed a little bit of NZ FM coming in via Es about an hour ago. Iā€™ve turned the beam at NZ in anticipation of some possible tropo over the next couple of days; a high pressure system is forecast to park itself in the Tasman again, baking eastern Australia.

1 Like

Tropo from Canberra coming in at present tonight at Stanhope Gardens.

Triple J on 101.5 above the splatter of Sea fm and WS.News Radio on 103.9, 102.3 is a battle between Triple J and ABC Classic Fm. 2XX fm Canberra coming in at times in stereo on 98.3

The signal for 93.5 Eagle Fm is quite unstable coming in strong enough to decode RDS, and then fading out completely.

1 Like

The opening to Victoria this morning was so throng that I was receiving Triple J from W Vic instead of River on 94.9 with a south facing antenna.

2 Likes

Triple J Taree on 96.3 & WaveFM on 96.5 from Illawarra on the clock radio this morning at Floraville, no sign of CoastFM.

Triple J & Wave were interfering with each other, but i could adjust the tuner enough to separate & get both fairly clearly.

3 Likes

NZ tropo currently in progress. The major Kaitaia outlets on 90.0, 92.4, 93.2, 94.0, 96.4 are all booming in at 3 bars on the Sony. 91.6 More FM has taken over the local TCBL. 105.4 Coast Auckland has just come up at weak levels. Strangely, no sign of 91.4/103.4 from Mt. Te Aroha as yet. Iā€™m about to go out for a drive; I daresay some of these will be audible on the car radio.

1 Like

Iā€™m looking to buy a new radio for FM DXingā€¦but really donā€™t know where to start.

Would love to hear some recommendations from the group!

Featureā€™s Iā€™d like included would be RDS, and if possibleā€¦an option to record audio on an SD card or similar.

Lots of enhanced signals this morning from Narrabri to Rockhampton. Breeze from Tenterfield on 102.5 was interesting - lots of local adverts with a different program from SEQ stations. I am expecting to hear it repeated 1 hour later in Queensland :slight_smile: Sky Radio from Gunnedah and 2MAX were also strong.

1 Like

Update - the Breeze program heard in NSW was repeated in Queensland one hour later.

2 Likes