AM and FM DX

7AD and 7BU are converting to FM

1 Like

3GG must have a sharp null to the NE to protect 2PM Kempsey because it’s a tough catch in Sydney at night. Once you get further south e.g. Cooma, 3GG can be heard quite well.

3 Likes

I went Oran Park yesterday. I forgot how far south it was! I was surprised how good SWR was given the restricted power southward. Dab was reasonable, better than parks of Kellyville. I wonder if it is Mt Badgelly coming in.

1 Like

What’s at that site?

I’ve never heard of it.

There’s meant to be an infill DAB site there. I’m assuming the site is near Badgally Road. TV_Expert probably knows the exact location.

1 Like

The DAB+ infill at Badgally Hill is located next to St Gregorys College approx 4km NW of Campbelltown. At its base height, Badgally Hill is located approx 195m ASL & its tower can be seen across much of Campbelltown & Narellan areas.

4 Likes

Some enhancement from just across the border tonight with ZZZ being heard on 100.9 (instead of the usual ABC Wide Bay RN). ABC Mt Nardi stations also stronger than usual.

2 Likes

2XL 918khz was off air this morning - received National radio Nelson 918khz as well as Southern Star on both 900 & 909khz

2 Likes

Had some great MWDX from WA this morning

1080 6IX Perth - https://youtu.be/stUIljfdQy0
1152 Manjimup
1269 Brusselton
1512 Morawa
648 Esperence
747 Esperence
783 Albany

3 Likes

A bit of tropo around this morning at my location in Stanhope Gardens.
It has allowed me to receive the Newcastle commercial fm’s in stereo.

By the way Hit 106.9 was playing Thunderstruck by AC/DC, as mentioned in the carn’t believe they are playing that thread.

2BS in at moderate strength and Eagle Fm from Goulburn also in stereo, this is through the hifi connected to outdoor fm Omni antenna.

1 Like

They’re great catches!

Also noticing a bit of tropo here, the most noticeable being Rhema FM Taree dominating KIIS in some parts of Newcastle on the car radio.

Whilst in my suburb, KIIS dominates, but Rhema interferes in parts, and I’m not getting any RDS at all from KIIS. This is not helped by the fact that KIIS appears to be broadcasting from the weaker Gore Hill site of late.

Up at Braye Park lookout, also received 2WAY Port Macquarie, but 93.5 was Eagle FM Goulburn. 92.7 SKY Port Macquarie also present.

100.7 and 102.3 was strong enough to be detected via seek tuning, with song info on RDS. Though 102.3’s info was stuck on a Yungblud song. 100.7’s was working fine though.

1 Like

correction - 648khz = Kalgoorlie not Esperance. I also thought 1512khz was supposed to have converted to FM. What happened there?

1 Like

I find KIIS 106.5 the weakest of the high power Sydney stations down here. Needs a good tropo lift to hear over Cooma 106.5 (still stuck on VAST ch800 music after 3 years & counting…)

2 Likes

Same here. Though when it’s transmitting from Artarmon, it’s noticeably better, and then usually the strongest of the Sydney stations.

1 Like

Received faint 90.7 Triple J and 91.5 News Radio from the South West Slopes a short while ago. All other services from that site on 88.3, 89.1 and 89.9 blocked by low power Sydney suburban stations.

Some good tropo about this morning too. Strong signals from Sydney and Wollongong in particular.

1 Like

Very strong Fm from Wide Bay tonight plus DTV on Channel 10. ABC’s from Rockhampton and other close by signals are strong. To the south some enhancement as well.

2 Likes

Yes I had quite strong tropo on Sunday morning and Sunday night too. It was purely coastal and was enhancing all the Newcastle, and Wollongong national and commercial fm stations.

All Newcastle commercial and national fm stations were received very strongly on Sunday night.

What was also interesting was inland signals were much weaker then usually with 107.9 Move Fm quite weak and in mono where it is normally received in stereo at my location.

1 Like

North America had big carriers last night but little audio. 1380 had a talk station & one playing choir music. 1500 had talk - assumed KSTP. Big hets on all 10khz channels above 1360. And that was just with my FM yagi. Was a bit late to set up a longwire as I had to go to bed - early starts for work.

4 Likes

1512AM certainly fits the single market operator for the current AM FM conversion program, not sure why they’re not pushing for FM.

1 possible reason - 1512AM is a retransmission service, born when 6GE 1008AM Geraldton switched to FM in the 1990s, becoming Triple G 96.5. Much of the Mid-west region lost access to a commercial radio service then. 1512AM certainly fills the gap. Gets out very well!

Interestingly, 1512AM retransmits 98.1FM Geraldton. Originally 98FM, now Spirit radio, and not the original service the locals lost when 6GE switched to FM. Different owners back then I think, now WA news has it wrapped up.

Nice MW catches from the west just the same.

1 Like