AFL

Theres 31k Gold members, AFL allot the AFL Members 13-23k tickets. So I doubt it’ll get out of Gold, like usual.
And you can nominate any of the 18 clubs as the club you support, so I’ve no idea what you’re on about here.

1 Like

Wow, Demons look gone. Just like last night. Two very ordinary prelims, haven’t had a good one in two years.

even before half time they are getting smashed. I can’t see them losing from here

1 Like

Been a very lacklustre finals series, not just the two games this weekend.

2 Likes

Yes, as was last year. 2016 finals were ordinary too, excluding the finals involving Doggies simply for the excitement.

I do think some rule changes are needed and the pre finals bye to be scrapped, it’s just not a good look for the AFL, especially for the high paying broadcasters (this isn’t even in prime time, so Seven News Melbourne was the compromise and will be lucky to beat Nine News Melbourne right now).

The rule change they need (reduction in interchange) isn’t one they’ll implement unfortunately. Game resembles rugby a lot of the time now. Pre finals bye was never needed, simply dumb it is even there.

1 Like

WOW! The Eagles are off to the AFL Grand Final 2018 after they dismantled Melbourne Demons by 66 points. 59608 people were at the Optus Stadium, which was now the highest ever sporting event in Western Australia. What is interesting was that the West Coast v Melbourne game was played in hot conditions where the temperature hit 28 degrees celsius.

5 Likes

This has to be considered as one of the most unlikely Grand Final match-ups of all-time, considering the Pies finished 13th and the Eagles finished 8th last year (barely scraped into the finals)!

3 Likes

Also considering both Collingwood and West Coast played in a grand final not so long ago. The Pies lost to Geelong in 2011, while Hawthorn beat the Eagles in 2015 on their way to threepeat.

Just to quote you :stuck_out_tongue:

As for next weeks match I could be less excited. Two teams I cannot stand. The list of the four teams, in order of least favourite to not as hated goes:
Geelong (2007 GF)
West Coast (Last years elimination and the supporters are awful)
Adelaide (need I mention anymore?)
Collingwood

I will be supporting neither team next weekend.

1 Like

give me a break. I will point this out to you. There is “awful” supporters in every club whether you like it or not. I know what you are going to say, what about the Adam Goodes saga.

So basically you are going to boycott the game, because there is no one to support.

1 Like

Seven would be over the moon with the Grand Finalists.

Biggest Melbourne club (Collingwood, got 1.5m+ in 2010 in Melbourne alone) and West Coast (Perth - another traditional Aussie Rules market). Providing it’s a good contest, I have a feeling it will be from what I’ve seen of both, should draw massive numbers.

Not boycotting just not supporting. And as for the supporters its not only the adam goodes saga. But any aboriginal player that plays for the opposition and the awful booing. Never heard more boos from a bunch of supporters. Sorry just dont like the culture of the supporters. But i am fully aware that its not all supporters. Just dont want those supporters that act like that to have the satisfaction of getting a flag.

1 Like

Because the Eagles still have a waiting list to be a member, they are trying to avoid queue jumping by nominating the Eagles as an AFL member and getting benefits that way.

According to AFL Tables website, in West Coast’s three previous premiership years, only in 1992 did they beat their eventual Grand Final opponent (Geelong) three times during the season including the finals. If the Eagles are to win the flag this year they will need to defeat Collingwood for the third time. The Eagles already beat the Pies in Round 17 and qualifying final this year, and given their rampaging form this afternoon, that is achievable.
Also, if the Eagles win next Saturday they will be the second team in VFL/AFL history after Fitzroy to win premierships in at least four even numbered years (Fitzroy won in 1898, 1904, 1916, 1922 and 1944).

2 Likes

Adelaide also have a waiting list for full membership.
You can select any of the 18 teams, including West Coast.

If an Eagles supporter living in WA wants to buy an AFL membership, all that it does in WA is give them the opportunity to pay to reserve a seat at Perth Stadium. If they’re willing to fork out all that money (for a 40 game membership where the main rights are in Melbourne) whilst living in WA, wait the required time to get to Gold membership level (something around 10 years) just on the off chance that they can secure a GF ticket without needing to go into a ballot then good on them for wasting the best part of $10k just to guarantee it…

I seem to remember Port supporters throwing bananas at Eddie Betts…
Every club has awful supporters, including mine.
With that said, I’ll watch the Grand Final next week, I’m just not jumping on a bandwagon to support either side. Could not care any less who wins. Won’t be my team, so I don’t care.

It was disgraceful. I actually posted something in this thread when that happened. I am quite aware my supporter base is not that good either. Doesn’t mean I can’t say something about the others.
Plus William only quoted part the reason i don’t like West Coast. They were never that high on my list until they beat us in the elminiation last year and then basically kicking us out this year only pushed they up further. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

What is another issue is booing at players with different cultures. A Richmond supporter made a racist remark towards Western Bulldogs player Lin Jong at the MCG 3 years ago. Some Richmond supporters behave in a bad way.

I didn’t mean it like that, forgotten you supported Port to be honest. That was an example I could think of off the top of my head, sure if we sat here all day we could easily find plenty of instances (the Lin Jong one comes to mind too, although he’s not indigenous). I’m fairly certain Cyril had a couple of incidents here in Tassie a few years back. It’s disgusting behaviour where footy crowds reflect society.

1 Like