AFL

And for all the talk about ticketing, the biggest story in footy is in Adelaide, where despite having 19 on the ground for a substantial period of the game (and scoring 8 pts in a game which was decided by 5) North Adelaide were cleared to play in the SANFL GF following a 5 hour tribunal hearing. They’ll start next season on -4 points (keeping in mind that it’s 2 points for a win in the SANFL) and $10000 lighter.

I believe it’s the average of all categories of tickets available. Seems fair given the range of seating options in the reserve. It’s also how visitor tickets and if any restricted members are allowed in on grand final day are priced, hence the different amounts for different events.[quote=“Moe, post:1847, topic:803”]
Capacity that is artificially reduced by a massive pre-allocation to a private member’s club.
[/quote]

There’s over 100,000 MCC members and a reserve of 22,000 or thereabouts. It’s the most egalitarian club in the country. Anyone can join.

How did the result not get over turned?

And by doing so you continue to entrench a sporting class system that gets considerable handouts from the government yet provides little benefit.

It’s time these relics of the past are gone

In all honesty, I would have been staggered if it were overturned. The interchange steward clearly has failed in their role for ever allowing 19 in the first place. If the procedure that the AFL follows isn’t in place, then it should be. It’s really not that hard to count to 3, but they’ve managed not to be able to for 4 minutes!
With that said, North Adelaide will need to be going really well to make the finals next year now, being 2 wins behind and all.

This week’s preliminary finals are both sell outs.
Melbourne and Collingwood have set up live sites so fans who missed out on a ticket can still watch the game.

1 Like

Yeah but the severe punishment obviously means that the judge and the SANFL believed that it caused a massive difference in the game. They only won by 5 points and scored 8 points in that time. Isn’t that enough to suggest that it should have been overturned?

The judge actually wanted to replay the game but didn’t have the ability to do that and didn’t believe overturning the result was a fair result.
I’d say conceding 7 goals in 14 mins when leading by 21 points 8 and a half mins into the last quarter against 18 players is what cost them the game.
Personally, I’m more concerned that the interchange steward failed to notice for however long (I’ve seen differing accounts of the exact time) that North Adelaide didn’t have 3 on the bench. After all, outside of counting to 50 rotations per team, ensuring that each team has 3 on the bench at all times (including to start a quarter) is their job.
Do understand the simplicity of removing the 8 points, would make it easier. But then do we replay the however long it was? It’s a mess that really should have been avoided.

1 Like

Perhaps they need an interchange card system like the NRL has. Though I acknowledge that Australian Rules football has a LOT more interchanges than the NRL has.

At AFL level they have 90, one person handles both teams in a game, there’s no infringements at that level outside of the occasional player going on seconds early. At SANFL level they have 50, surely one person can handle that without a card system? Although, I am a fan of how the NRL handle that aspect of the game.

1 Like

37%20pm
I had a look on the computer in the library and noticed that as of today, it says Buy Tickets for the Richmond v Collingwood and the West Coast v Demons match. I tried to find a ticket in the Concession category but unfortunately it says Sorry, no ticket matches your search. I thought that both Tigers v Magpies and the Eagles v Demons game are sold out as of yesterday night (If I remember correctly).
The forecast for the Preliminary Finals will be smashed as the new attendance benchmark will surpass over 7.6 million people for this year. The Richmond v Collingwood match will probably grow to 99000 while the West Coast v Melbourne match will possibly surpass over 60000.

Fox Sports reports AFLX will be revamped for 2019. It will become a one-day festival next February with four franchise-based teams playing each other once before a grand final.

1 Like

Well that sounds even shitter than last year. And that was shit.

3 Likes

Oh FFS, give up on AFLX. I went there last year, it was craptacular.

2 Likes

Yes, it looked very much like a training drill.

And it looked weird on a rectangular field.

It would be fine if the AFL enticed players with some extra $$$

There’s more chance of Ross Oakley returning to run the game than AFLX being accepted by the public let alone become popular.

Here’s the breakdown of last year’s AFL Grand Final ticket allocation.

https://preview.tinyurl.com/y7qzr92z

Wingard looks set to leave Port Adelaide. Port Adelaide should now really up the offer on Polec. He will be a big loss. Chad I think is very overrated and not worth anywhere near the million. He is lazy and not passionate and in an interview made it seem like watching AFL wasn’t ‘cool’. It would be a mistake for the Bulldogs to take him, but a mistake I am happy for them to make.

I didn’t realise AFL reserve got so many ticket reserves. I am going to try and get a ticket. Will be my first Grand Final, if I get a ticket.