AFL

Well, I think it IS, there’s a reason why the 4 top teams get the chance to have Week 2 off, a double chance and 1 or 2 home finals and that’s because they’ve earned it, so why effectively dilute those by giving everyone a week’s break beforehand?

True. Not disagreeing with that at all. But it isn’t like all teams aren’t getting a break. I wasn’t a fan of it before hand but it certainly evened up the finals campaign. Especially for teams that travel to either WA, QLD or SA the week before finals. It gives them that extra week. If teams think that having an extra week off before the prelims is a disadvantage then they need to organise something to keep the game intensity up; a trial match, a match stimulation etc could all be used.
The extra week break only helped the Bulldogs it didn’t help any other team outside the top 4.

Yep.

That’s also what Bruce McAvaney hinted at.

They lost in WA, would’ve had to play the following Sunday.

Then tough work from there.

But regardless, an absolute fairytale, 62 years is like an eternity.

Now I know how the Sydney Swans (South Melbourne) felt in 2005, with a 70 year drought!

They would have been eliminated if they lost in WA, having finished 7th?

I think he means after playing Fremantle in Round 23 having lost. Then would have played West Coast on a Sunday the following week.

1 Like

I do agree the bye between round 23 and the finals changed the dynamics of the finals somewhat. However, the Bulldogs being able to beat last year’s two grand finalists in consecutive weeks was a big achievement in itself. They made the move at the right time and reaped the rewards.
Meanwhile, The Age has apologised for a monumental stuff up for the wrong advertisement by Victoria University in today’s paper, congratulating the Bulldogs even after losing the grand final. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-03/the-age-forced-to-apologise-over-grand-final-stuff-up/7897796?section=sport

3 Likes

Facebook commenters are tearing their “journalism” to shreds. Seems there’s a few who are clueless that the reporters and columnists ≄ sales and advertising

3 Likes

Yep :slight_smile:

Chris Fagan (now ex-Adelaide assistant) has been appointed Senior Coach of the Brisbane Lions :+1:

With a new GM of Football & CEO.

Hopefully a new ‘morale’ is built = better footy.

That’s now the 6th head coach that has been poached from the Hawks, representing 1/3 of all AFL head coaches!

1 Like

I think he was actually at Hawthorn…

3 Likes

[quote=“AustralianAerial, post:153, topic:803, full:true”]Collingwood [one can hope, though we’ll probably be horrifically booted out of finals in the first game]

Richmond for the spoon
[/quote]If we made it I reckon. I’ve only got them just sneaking in to save Bucks job. That and they’ll be loading up the list with some expierenced players from opposition teams (Daniel Wells etc). :grin:

I reckon North will collect the spoon next year.

[quote=“turdall, post:158, topic:803, full:true”]
St Kilda might be the surprise packets next year.

I agree the Bulldogs were a once off. They played a good finals series. But they had some shocking moments throughout the season.

I don’t think Sydney will win next year. I think GWS stand a good chance. I don’t rate Adelaide, I think teams have figured their weaknesses out. Hawthorn, if they can trade well, will be there and abouts again next year.
[/quote]I reckon St. Kilda will give it a good shake next year. Wouldn’t be surprised if they did something similar to what the Bulldogs did this year. The Bulldogs will be up there again next year despite lots of people saying they will be a “once off”. Their game style will stand up and could definitely get a few with the group they’ve got. I do wonder how Travis Cloke will go for them next year in the forward line? Getting him is a huge call.

[quote=“LukeMovieMan, post:169, topic:803, full:true”]
Chris Fagan (now ex-Adelaide assistant) has been appointed Senior Coach of the Brisbane Lions :+1:

With a new GM of Football & CEO.

Hopefully a new ‘morale’ is built = better footy.
[/quote]Hawthorn I think you mean. :wink:

And with this that makes it three Tasmanian coaches in the AFL system now. But apparently the state still doesn’t deserve a team though.:relieved::yum:

1 Like

So IF Tasmania is to get a team, how is this going to happen

a) Should there be 19 or 20 teams (with another team from say maybe Canberra joining as well)?
or
b) Does a Victorian team relocate there, and if so, which one?
c) Should there be a merger of 2 Melbourne teams (which ones) to accommodate Tasmania?
d) Any other options

I’ve always thought if Geelong and Gold Coast can support AFL teams, with similar or smaller populations than Tassie, why not them?

I know the chance of this happening is at least 5 years away anyhow.

1 Like

Maybe it was the typically haphazard nature of how I got there (buses, trains, another bus then fly from the Gold Coast rather than Brisbane), or the fact that Saturday was the most exhaustingly exhilarating 3 hours of my life, but it’s only now that I’ve somewhat recovered emotionally. I’ll never forget it until death, from the seat number (Q1-2 V14, sounds like a Stephen Dank formula rather than a seat worth $180) to the post match concert, and everything in between.

1 Like

I feel exactly the same way after seeing my Sharks win the NRL premiership for the first time.

I feel like I only just recovered today emotionally too, it was a 5 hour round train trip to the game, seat number Section 608 Row 10 Seat 49 (the last 4 digits easy for me remember as a Media Spyer as it reminded me of Triple M!) and was not cheap at $320, but was worth every cent.

Also that it was such a close finish and that 90% of the crowd were cheering for Cronulla too… it was black white and blue everywhere… quite amazing. Something I’ll never forget either.

[quote=“Radiohead, post:173, topic:803, full:true”]So IF Tasmania is to get a team, how is this going to happen

a) Should there be 19 or 20 teams (with another team from say maybe Canberra joining as well)?
or
b) Does a Victorian team relocate there, and if so, which one?
c) Should there be a merger of 2 Melbourne teams (which ones) to accommodate Tasmania?
d) Any other options

I know the chance of this happening is at least 5 years away anyhow.
[/quote]
a) This one is so far off it’s not funny. I couldn’t see them expanding to 19 or 20 for a very long time. As it is they’ll be forced propping up the Giants and the Suns for decades to come.

b) This one is probably the most likely option to occur. And I’d say North Melbourne (which is currently playing games in the South of the state) would be the team to relocate if it were to ever happen.

c) This one is extremely unlikely. I couldn’t see any mergers taking place.

d) For the AFL to give the state a licence. Though, realistically can’t see this one occurring for a very long time (if ever), as it wouldn’t be financially viable without long-term assistance from the AFL (think GWS and Gold Coast), which I seriously have my doubts they’d willing to do (don’t be surprised to see the likes of NZ land a licence before Tassie does which would be a total insult, of course.)

I’d say the chances of this happening are probably more than 5 years away to be honest. We’ll see though.

1 Like

I think the most likely option is a relocation of a victorian club (North Melbourne) if they were to have an extra team they would do two. And the other would have to be another team in wA or SA. I would think the next thing though is NZ. But again I think it should be a relocation rather than a new team. 18 is already a lot of teams 20 might be too many.

2 Likes

Just read the news that Sam Mitchell will probably move to the Eagles and I’m in total shock! But if that has to happen to get O’Meara and T. Mitchell to the Hawks that’s fine, still would be extremely disappointed though.

Apparently Jordan Lewis is also being shopped around.

And it looks like he is out as well, I really can’t take this anymore! :confounded: