AFL

Yesterday was a boring day of footy. Didn’t watch much at all, tuned into a belting in Perth on FTA and tuned out, then watched a little bit of Port v GWS but not an ideal time and could feel Giants would be too good.

The second half was a fantastic game. Both are very good sides. Should have continued to watch as it got quite close towards the end.

A half is not a game.

1 Like

I know. Just stating the second half was pretty good football and became quite close. Pity you didn’t get to watch it.

WOW! Richmond was the first team to crack the 100,000 membership mark. That was a mammoth boost of approximately 27.6%. Following last year’s fairytale premiership flag, the Tigers have got 100,063 members. Look for me, I think that 100k Richmond fans would be extremely proud of their team’s efforts. The Tigers are in escalating form and are hoping to record an unprecedented high of 115k members.

1 Like

Given they have until the end of July to accumulate members 115k is not on the agenda.
Will be interesting to see the actual membership number when the AFL release actual numbers. I’ll give you a hint, it’ll be 5 numbers long.

1 Like

The AFL is selling its publications unit, including AFL Record magazine, to Crocmedia. Crocmedia will pay a total of $8.1 million, comprising $5.85 million cash and $2.25 million prepaid advertising to be retained by the AFL

During the week, a special unveiling of Michael Long’s statue outside Essendon HQ in Tullamarine.

Tonight during Seven post game, Hamish McLachlan mentioned something about the “Barham family” having something to do with it, noticed ex-Labor federal Finance Minister (Essendon’s chairman) was also there.

Could that be Dave Barham (TV sports exec, now at Seven head of cricket)? As he is a Director on the board at Essendon.

Yes.

1 Like

To think that Seven’s last broadcast rights had the 1:45pm Saturday early game as a production for Victorian viewers. Dumped it this deal. Could’ve seen today’s on FTA. Although was delayed telecast, but that was the norm many years ago.

Proves how badly seven and the AFL has screwed the everyday Australian. Im not too fussed I’ve splashed out and paid for it. Something i was never going to do.

1 Like

Wasn’t this the match Foxtel tried to sell to Ten?

“Although was delayed telecast, but that was the norm many years ago”

When Ten did have the rights to Saturday afternoon they did a few sell outs live.

1 Like

I’m not sure if Fox were looking to offload the early game or the afternoon one. I think it was the 2.10 one but might be wrong.
I’d rather have this game as a Fox exclusive than shown on the 90 minute delay bullshit. Happy that 7 under this deal show 77 live H&A games instead of what was around 73 live/15 delayed.

1 Like

Firstly, go Dons! Amzing.

And what a Super Saturday (and i ain’t just taking by-elections). Tigers vs. Pies was a brillaint, tough contest. But like last night, Richmond proved they were too good and ran away a bit, still team to beat for 2nd year in a row, a big watch this space.

Also, Brisbane will be a force to be reckoned with next year, their ladder position still isn’t reflective of their effort and quality, which has improved vastly in recent weeks and earlier in the year lost some games by small margins. They’re looking unbelievable and finallyyyyyy times are changing for a club that hasn’t been where they are now for over a decade (apart from making 2009 finals). Tough ask today heading down to Geelong, against a team that has been on/off form wise and nearly lost last week (after the famous finish)

It was a huge game. They predicted 90k at the stadium, but 88k was at the MCg watching TIgers v Pies. Tigers made it 18 straight wins at the MCG. I think that Richmond are in an unbelievable position of playing Finals Footy. They’ve got 100k+ members and hopefully in Finals Footy, they will grow to 115 000 fans.

Indeed!

I remember when someone on this thread said that Richmond would have a Grand Final hangover and have a season similar to the Bulldogs last year and miss the finals. Could not have been any more wrong lol

1 Like

Might’ve been me, I’ve certainly been proven wrong.

NB/ Nothing “lol” about it, tips and predictions are just that. Richmond 100% on point.

Probably a reference to this post from last October by yours truly?

However, I’d be happy to be proven wrong on the above prediction! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ll be surprised if anyone other than Richmond wins the comp this year. It’s daylight second for me.

3 Likes

Collingwood again proved to struggle against a top 4 team. Will be interesting to see how they go against Port Adelaide in a few weeks.

3 Likes