AFL

[quote=“turdall, post:116, topic:803, full:true”]
I like Damien Hardwick. I think he is the right coach. I just think he recruitment team and the board have been calling too many shots. Game style and game play have been up there with some of the best.[/quote]If they fail to make 8 yet again next year he’s a goner IMO. He’s extremely lucky he’s seemingly safe for next year. Same applies to Buckley and Hinkley, if both Collingwood and Port fail next season.

[quote=“turdall, post:117, topic:803, full:true”]But that happens. When you have a patch of good footy you will feature in more Grand Finals. Its not the first time that has happened. North feature in 3 GF’s in 4 years. Brisbane 4 in a row. West Coast have featured in 3 in 10 years. Collingwood featured in a 4 in 10 years as well. Every team goes through those patches of multiple GF appearances. But I think it is fantastic it can be said every team but one, outside expansion clubs, have featured in a Grand Final. It keeps fans happy.
[/quote]It has to be said that it does help when certain teams (Sydney for obvious reasons) are given advantages here and there so they can remain in the top half of the ladder. :wink:

Let’s hope the doggies feature in the next few as they really do deserve it.

As a port supporter I dont think Hinkley will have a problem next year. The year after definitely. Buckley has already stated that he would resign if he didnt make the finals next year. Hardwick will probably be gone unless they make a prelim.

Out of curiosity, and in comparison with the Brisbane era, how many of the current Hawthorn squad do other see coaching in 10 years time? Brad and Chris Scoot, Lepitch and Michael Voss have all coached. Then there are others who are part of coaching teams; Nigel Lappin, Luke Power, Simon Black, Shaun Hart, Blake Caracella, Marcus Arshcroft and I’m not sure if there are more. I can definitely see Luke Hodge becoming a potential coach. Not sure if Shaun Burgoyne would probably do something in coaching.

There are moments in life where you never forget where you were. Such as Saturday Night nervously pacing on the platform at Wynnum Central train station. Or at 7:04 PM Monday Night when funds equating to a Category 7 Grand Final ticket were debited from my account, signifying success in the ballot. It will be my second GF experience (I sat through the ENTIRE Meatloaf debacle, I’d do anything for a GF ticket, but I won’t do that!) but this one will be much more intense than the other. There are Bulldog family members from all over Australia, from Canada and the US (and perhaps even the bloke who made a mercy dash from Algeria to make the Prelim, he didn’t get the $10 those on the buses from Melbourne got but he made it safely) many of whom won’t be at the G on Saturday but will probably be making all sorts of noise beyond anything ever heard before.

2 Likes

The funny thing about this Grand Final is that the Swans have actually played more games at the MCG than the Dogs this year! The Bulldogs only played once at the 'G during the H/A season.

1 Like

Malcolm Turnbull apparently doesn’t know much about the AFL. http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/prime-minister-malcolm-turnbulls-clueless-sydney-swans-blooper/news-story/71fc4b84f1a9db8ed2eddcb0ba9c0993

2 Likes

Malcolm Turnbull doesn’t know anything about sport full stop :joy:

Despite him saying in China “the AFL is such an exciting code” or whatever.

Him saying he follows the Sydney Swans & turns up to the SCG doesn’t really mean much.

So he used tax payers money last year to attend and doesn’t even know a lot about the sport. hmmmm

Tips for tomorrow? I think Sydney will win by 12 points but want the Doggies to win.

2 Likes

Tipping with my heart. Dogs by 19, Buddy will kick 5 and Norm Smith to ‘The Bont’!

1 Like

Swans by a goal.

CHEERING FOR THE RED, WHITE & BLUE ALL THE WAY THOUGH!!! :grin:

Going to be an amazing Grand Final, so historic

2 Likes

Did anyone get tickets for the game?

1 Like

Restricted MCC members can not attend the Grand Final :anguished:

As always… Watching on TV with friends and family (tradition).

1 Like

From favourites for the wooden spoon a couple of years ago to the premiers of 2016. Congratulations you Dogs! :dog::dog::dog:

And 3 points of my tip!

1 Like

WHAT A THRILLER!

The footy gods delivered, what we craved for 4 yeats :laughing:

Massive congrats to the Western Bulldogs, amazing win, 62 year drought OVER.

1 Like

What a game. One of the best AFL grand finals I have ever seen. Congratulations Western Bulldogs, erasing the pain of 1997. What a gesture by coach Luke Beveridge inviting injured captain Bob Murphy to the stage and gave the Jock McHale Medal for the winning coach to Bob.

5 Likes

2013 was only 15 points.

Great game, Well done Bulldogs. Great AFL story and ratings I imagine

1 Like

What?

If you’re talking about the margin, the game was terrible.

Today’s was a nail biter from start to the final 5min :cold_sweat:

Yeah, one for the ages.

1 Like

Fair enough.

1 Like

Congrats to stmookeyj who as we know has been a fervent Bulldogs fan for many years. The better team won and it is a testament to how far the Bulldogs have come after many years in the bottom half. It was a great game today regardless of the result and you hope for nothing less in the biggest game of all.

Also, although I felt sorry for Bob Murphy having been such a loyal Bulldogs stalwart for close to two decades only to miss playing in what would be their premiership victory extinguishing their six decade drought, it was heartwarming to see Coach Luke Beveridge give his medal to him on the stand. He deserves nothing less.

4 Likes