AFL

Got in 1:40pm, lucky to get a terrace seat too! MCC opened at 1pm. Had to queue for around 35min :unamused:

2 Likes

Formerly Brisbane lions player Jon Brown has told that Gold Coast should perform well this year by restarting over. If things don’t improve for the Gold Coast suns, then AFL will fold this club. Unfortunately, Gold Coast have won only 43 games in 164 games since they joined AFL in 2011. The Suns have never won a match over the Crows and The Swans. I agree with his opinion as Gold Coast have performed so badly in the past 7 seasons. They have only got one wooden spoon. Viewership for Gold Coast Suns on FTA were very low. I think it’s about Time to stop Gold Coast Suns because it’s not good for the AFL. Suns have had so many player changes over the past few years https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/gold-coast-suns-have-to-start-again-otherwise-they-will-fold-says-lions-great/news-story/aac521c4fb7de376bb6c64b9d539aaea

I disagree. It takes a lot longer than 7 years to form a club and culture. Giving up after a short amount of time is just impatience.

1 Like

Another problem is coming to the Gold Coast Suns. I feel that Gold Coast Suns have lost a lot of good players like Gary Ablett (to Geelong), Harley Bennell (to Fremantle), Charlie Dixon (to Port Adelaide) Dion Prestia (to Richmond), Jaeger O’Meara (to Hawthorn), Brandon Matera (to Fremantle). It is believed that Tom Lynch will be next.

Finally, a Friday night game to get excited about! 1st vs. 3rd, all interstate, SCG. Really hope it isn’t and can’t see it being one sided.

Should be a good game. One of the biggest rivalries of the modern game. Nice to also see two interstate teams play Friday night football, doesn’t happen often. Now come on AFL give us a showdown on a Thursday or Friday night!

3 Likes

Absolutely. Expect 2005/2006 GFs to be highlighted at times as well.

Last night was putrid as a neutral or Dogs supporter, not what prime time footy should be.

In fairness to the AFL the Power and Bulldogs have had some very close games in the last few years. So the game was quite a good pairing.

1 Like

Fair enough. But in a year being dominated by negative talk from media and public about declining ratings due to one sided prime time games. Any other year a one off thrashing would, yes, probably be acceptable by the public if that makes sense

I must admit I enjoyed last nights game, but it does help that my team won though.

1 Like

The point is last night’s Port Adelaide v Western Bulldogs game drew about 26 000 people at Adelaide Oval, which was arguably, the lowest crowd in venue history. A few years ago, AFL announced that they will want to put more Thursday Night games. This year, we have had three games played on Thursday nights. TV audiences have slipped slightly. Sometimes, the umpiring of the games is very one-sided

But how did they know how these two tames would perform the way they did? The AFL aren’t mind readers. When looking at this last year I thought this game was going to be a ripper.

Well apparently the weather an hour before the game was shocking. As for the lowest game. It is since the induction of the redevelopment. Not in the history. A Melbourne v Port Adelaide game before the redevelopment had a lot less.

The Port Adelaide v Melbourne match at Adelaide Oval drew approximately 29 000 in September 2011 before the redevelopment.

I take that back then. I am sure there are matches that have been less before the redevelopment. Including trial matches etc.

Or even the cricket world cup. Not sure of the attendance of the Pakistan v Ireland game there but that could have been lower. Infact it only had 10,000. Bangladesh and England drew slightly more at 11,000. Australia v Ireland in the Tri Series tournament also only had 25,000 last year. So not quite the lowest even since the redevelopment. Still not a great crowd last night but as I said the weather turned many away. I know friends that didn’t go because of it. Its also probably the shake up Adelaide Oval and the AFL need. Attendance at Adelaide oval has been down for both clubs this year and ticket and food prices don’t help the attraction.

1 Like

Tomorrow’s Geelong v Richmond game at the MCG is the only Sunday game of this round. Given it is shown only on Fox Footy, why isn’t it scheduled to start at the traditional time of 2.10pm? (It will start at 3.20pm)

At a guess I’d reckon because that’s not a Sunday timeslot any longer do they’ve stuck to the 3:20 start. Good for TV, bad for attendees.

I know Cripps is considered a fantastic player at Carlton. I just feel his game style and work ethic wouldn’t be tolerated at another club. I don’t feel he likes to tackle or to chase other players. I actually find him quite a lazy player.

Just a note about Friday night football, as discussed by Luke earlier. Interestingly the AFL decided to have a St Kilda v Carlton game on a Friday night. They also have a St Kilda v Richmond game. It really does baffle me when you have Carlton continually get Friday night games where they lose by 100+ points and they have marque proven great games like the Derby and the Showdown that aren’t given this coverage. The AFL need to move away from the VFL and give us a true national competition.

Not many Victorian footy fans would disagree with you.

I know they wouldn’t. What do we all want? A good game of footy. Too often we get shocking games on Friday nights.