AFL

Gold Coast teams have always struggled in any code.

United has already bitten the dust in the A-League, there have been 4 different rugby league teams since 1988 (including a period where there was no team), and there have been a couple of NBL teams.

It will be very interesting to see how long the AFL persists with it for, or if they bite the bullet and relocate it to Canberra or Tasmania.

The GC is where sport goes to die

3 Likes

Gold Coast didnā€™t take a mark inside 50 during its 108 point drubbing to the GWS Giants. GWS Giants have fought back following 4 losses and a win over the Crows at Adelaide Oval.
Just over 7000 people turned out to Spotless Stadium to watch these two sides play against each other. It is a very low crowd at the Spotless Stadium.

Thatā€™s a poor crowd, even by NRL standards.

I personally wonder if the AFL are only using Spotless Stadium as the home ground for GWS until a better alternative comes up because letā€™s be honest, itā€™s not that great of a venue for sport and suffers from interruptions when the RAS need to use it as a Showground Arena.

Apart from the SCG which the Swans already use, there arenā€™t many other options. ANZ Stadium would look horrible with 7,000 people in an 80,000 seat venue. They played their first ever AFL game at Blacktown Sports Ground, but not really an AFL standard venue I guess.

I saw on the FOX Main Event coverage of the Jeff Horn fight that Eddie McGuire was hosting it from Las Vegas. So it doesnā€™t look like heā€™ll be at the G for the big game tomorrow against the Demons?

1 Like

As what I say, GWS Giants want to be a bigger and a stronger team. They have had wins over Adelaide, Brisbane, Collingwood, Fremantle, Gold Coast and Bulldogs.
Meanwhile, Fremantle had better crowds since its move from Subiaco to Optus Stadium. A fortnight ago, just 37 000 people came to the game against North Melbourne. The weather has had a huge impact on the players. With Fremantle v Adelaide during arvo, the crowds will depend on the weather today in Perth.

A lot of their wins havenā€™t been against impressive teams. The only win their I could say is impressive was against Adelaide.

What has the weather been like? Warm, wet, cold? Bit confused about the comment without knowing the context.

Today, Perth will expect some windy with rain.
The weather could have an impact on the game.

1 Like

When do you think the AFL will look at changing the AFL Finals system. Its round 12 now and I think in the next 2-3 weeks we will have the top 8 locked in. Adelaide look like they could be out of contention with a tough month of football (Hawthorn (away), Richmond (away), West Coast and GWS (away) all part of the next 5 games for them). Hawthorn will likely swap with North and Collingwood will likely swap with GWS. I just think that the AFL need to look at keeping some teams with some hope. A top 10 instead of a top 8? A wildcard week with a top 6 to play finals, middle 6 to play off for finals and bottom 6 to play for draft picks? I just think something need to be look at to change the finals and keep the interest in there.

The thing is if Adelaide do miss the finals this year if they had managed to place 9th or 10th they would likely give the top 8 a run for their money come finals.

Nah itā€™s fine as is.

3 Likes

I donā€™t agree. I think it needs to change. It cant be a less than 50% chance to make it to finals.

Iā€™m the opposite. Should only be a top 6 at most. Having 8-10-12 make the finals is bordering on handing out participation certificates personally. Example, as an Adelaide fan, what exactly have they done to deserve being in the finals hunt? Played patches in a few games, havenā€™t really hit the switch for more than a quarter in most of them. Played about 15 mins yesterday for example. Iā€™d argue there isnā€™t enough quality sides currently to fill out the 8 as it is.

3 Likes

I agree, allowing more than 50% of teams to make the finals is rewarding mediocrity.

I am not talking necessarily about rewarding teams but rather keeping interest for fans.

Collingwood won the game over Demons by 42 points in front of 83000 people at the mcg. I feel that Collingwood can play finals footy. Time will tell whether Collingwood are ready for finals after 4 straight wins. Melbourne could still make the Top 4. Melbourne and Collingwood both had 8 wins and 4 losses in 2018.
Adelaide Crows finals hopes have taken a hit losing to Fremantle by 3 points at Optus Stadium. Adelaide Crows will face Hawthorn at the MCG on Saturday. They want to be a better and bolder team but they have failed to fire in scoring points.
Richmond have lost to Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval a few days ago. Port Adelaide can be ready for finals footy. They still need to have better players like Ollie Wines, Hombsch, Wingard. They will face Western Bulldogs this Thursday and Melbourne on the 22 June.
Even though West Coast had a bye, they still remained on top of the ladder. Next 7 games - Sydney (away), Essendon (home), Adelaide (away), GWS Giants (home), Collingwood (away), Western Bulldogs (home) and North Melbourne (away) will be a test for West Coast. Jack Darling is injured and will be sidelined for 6 weeks.

4 Likes

Considering Hombsch fails to make the best 22 I wouldnā€™t put him in the same sentence as Wingard and Wines.

I was at todayā€™s Queens birthday clash. Fantastic atmosphere, biggest crowd for this game I can remember, didnā€™t attend last year. Collingwood were exceptional. I also heard over the PA and saw on the big screen Sevenā€™s John Deeks (looked to be doing a warm up, both the coaches and crowd - this was before he handed the mic to Hamish and Jane at 2pm for transmission commencement ).

5 Likes

Oh so you got in before 2pn? MCC and AFL encouraged everyone to be there early and in their seats before 2, yet gates were scheduled to opened at 1:30, queues snaked hundreds of metres through Yarra Park. Belatedly, most gates opened at 1:20. If they want to hold events on public holidays, be prepared to pay penalty rates and get people in early.

1 Like