AFL

Melbourne have won over Adelaide in Alice Springs. They are sitting in third place with 7 wins and 3 losses.
West Coast have beaten Hawthorn away from Perth for the first time since 2006. It was their 9th straight win for the West Coast Eagles - the equal most amount of consecutive wins.
Melbourne or West Coast - maybe flag contenders of 2018?

1 Like

At the moment I would say they are the two best teams in the competition. Been to a few different games this year and seen both of these sides. They are a lot cleaner than the rest of the teams.

With no doubt though I would like to see Melbourne up against a top 8 side without a bunch of injuries then I will make up my mind.

1 Like

Melbourne haven’t made the finals since 2006. They are trying to push to Top 4 In 2018. The Demons haven’t made the Grand Final since 2000, where they lost to Essendon. The last time they’ve won the flag was in 1964.
West Coast are in strong form following 9 straight wins. They face St Kilda at Optus Stadium in 2 June. If they make it 10 consecutive wins, then this will be a club record for the most wins. West Coast are in good shape in 2018.
Richmond are in scintillating form in 2018 with wins over Brisbane, Carlton, Collingwood, Fremantle, Hawthorn, Melbourne, North Melbourne, St Kilda. They stay at 2nd spot. If they maintain Top 2 spot, then there is a chance of a home preliminary final.

2 Likes

So I might be a bit late but another Collingwood player has been caught in a nude scandal. This time sharing their live streaming of them doing explicit acts to themselves.

Gold Coast Suns have played so badly in its first game at Metricon Stadium this year, losing to the Geelong Cats by a whopping 75 points. This is not very good news if you are a Gold Coast fan. 17.5 thousand spectators came to the stadium. The Gold Coast Suns want to be a very good team in the AFL competition, but unfortunately they didn’t have the ingredients. Something needs to happen for Gold Coast Suns for next week as they face GWS Giants at Spotless Stadium. There need to be some changes to the squad.
Carlton Blues didn’t have the ingredients of what they needed, losing to Swans by 30 points at the SCG. The Blues have won two games at the SCG in 25 years (1993 & 2011).
Meanwhile Melbourne Football Club are in exhilarating form winning six straight games for the first time since 2006.They could be a Top 2 side for 2018.
Collingwood have improved so far in 2018 and are in 8th position. Time will tell whether the Pies are ready for Finals.

Is it just me or are others finding it really difficult to watch games this year? The game has become so congested and such a mess. I wonder if crowds have been down this year? The AFL really needs to change the rules so that there are less players around the ball during stoppages. It might help congestion.

Overall crowd figures I’d suggest (without looking at figures) may be slightly up with the new Perth Stadium coming online, but any gains may be negated with the number of “regional” games being played so far this year.

2018 was an interesting year in AFL. Fremantle and West Coast have made their transition from Domain Stadium, Subiaco to the new Perth Stadium in Burswood. The Perth Stadium seats at 60 000 capacity. Their home game crowds have gone up. The highest crowd in WA was 57 516 (West Coast v Richmond), a fortnight ago. The Eagles are a successful team in the new Perth Stadium.
Gold Coast Suns were unable to play at Metricon due to this year’s Commonwealth Games. This caused the numbers to decline sharply. Gold Coast Suns are wanting to be a more viable team but unfortunately they have suffered economic losses. First match of 2018 saw them win over North Melbourne in heavy rain in Cazaly’s Stadium, Cairns. Since May, the team have suffered defeats to Crows, Bulldogs, Demons, Power and now Geelong. They sit on 3 wins and 7 losses.
St Kilda had started off 2018 with 1 win (Brisbane Lions) and 1 draw, in 16th position. Their win loss record in its club history is 39.39%. St Kilda’s home crowd at Etihad is much lower compared to last year.

1 Like

Suns average home crowd 2016 - 11561
2017- 13663
2018- approx 14270 so far.
Not sure this is numbers declining sharply?

And just to let you know of the Crowd figures for GC suns 2018
GC v North Melbourne - 3722. (R1)
GC v Fremantle - 33388 (R3)
GC v Melbourne - 6060 - (R8)
GC v Port - 10689 (R9)
GC v Geelong - 17490 (R11)

Yes I know the crowd figures, what on Earth did you think I was quoting?
What I was saying is that you said the Suns attendance numbers have declined sharply. I was pointing out this isn’t the case.

Perhaps he’s suggesting that the 33k crowd in Perth are propping up their figures? Give the rest of the season and see what their Cararra crowds are like.

1 Like

That seems like a pretty good figure for GC.

1 Like

It’s their largest attendance at Carrara since 2014, so its a good figure. Slots in at 11th overall of the 74 home games they’ve played at Carrara.

3 Likes

Gold Coast Suns have scored only 26 points agains GWS in Spotless Stadium. The GWS recorded it’s heaviest win by the club beating the Gold Coast by whopping 108 points. Time will tell whether Giants are ready for Top 8 or even Top 4.
Meanwhile Sydney are playing in scintillating form leading they Saints by 48 points in quarter time at Docklands. St Kilda haven’t won a game against sydney since 2011.

Shall The Richer and More Successful Southport Sharks Club Buy The Gold Coast AFL Franchise and Rename them the Gold Coast Sharks???

GC want to be a good team in the competition but have suffered big losses to the Eagles, Cats, And Giants.

As I understand things the AFL own GC (along with Swans and GWS) and the AFL aren’t interested in private ownership.

What a great initiative by the AFL and Etihad Stadium for the pride match. :rainbow:

Clearly lost on the Herald Sun who no doubt have whipped their readers into a frenzy.