AFL

That’s incorrect and one of the quirks of Aussie Rules. There have been proposals to make it uniform but in reality it’s impossible.

The China match is more government trade mission than anything else. Victorian government is keen to have a Vic team play next year as Gold Coast aren’t making any money out of it.

2 Likes

You are right they aren’t exactly the same but the older grounds in Victoria, from what I have seen and discussed with others, are similar. Anyway if you look at the grounds from the SCG to Adelaide Oval to the WACA to the MCG they are completely different not to mention weather conditions. When you have to play the final game of the year to win the tournament which team is going to be better equipped? The one that plays 80% of their games their, doesn’t need to travel and lives in the city or the one that has to travel, plays 1 or 2 games their a year and has different climate?

I love having the Grand Final at the MCG but there isn’t fairness in the competition. The AFL must look at making it even. The interstate teams make a lot of money for them, a lot more than some of the Victorian sides. Perhaps allowing 3 games a year at the MCG, plus training and maybe a preseason training camp would help in getting some more fairness into competition.

I’m sure if all finals were played in Sydney and GWS and Sydney beat interstate teams at the SCG Victorians would be complaining as well. Put your feet in the other shoe and just think about it.

Port Adelaide seem hell bent on making it work for some reason. Its a LOT of unnecessary travel IMO. Last year they struggled when they came back from China. I’m not so sure about the idea.

Not that this is vitally important, but wouldn’t hurt to have it on FTA (ratings showed nobody in Australia watched on Fox Footy, having no Melbourne team didn’t help).

It’s debut last year I recall was on Seven on a Sunday arvo.

Means everyone can watch and form an educated opinion, rather than just assumptions or perceptions.

1 Like

It was still the most watched AFL game ever apparently.

Yeah I think they need a bigger team to play against Port Adelaide in Shanghai.

This is the hyperbole the AFL get caught in. Just because it is being made available, doesn’t mean all those people are watching. They’re taking a leaf out of the (Melbourne) Grand Prix Corporation’s press releases.

It still would have been the most watched AFL game ever. But yeah that is true.

1 Like

One reason and only one reason.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

2 Likes

Well yeah long term they will make money. Apparently they were giving up $500,000 to the gold coast.
If a Victorian team is playing next year it will probably be st kilda. Which is a bit sad considering they only get a similar crowd as gold coast gets.

Due to the major construction of the Southern Stand at the MCG, the 1991 grand final was played at VFL Park.

2 Likes

Question, Shall the Struggling St. Kilda Play a Couple of Home Games per Year at the Lavington Sports Ground starting in 2020???

No, why would they?
More chance of St Kilda being relocated to Tasmania in 2022.

3 Likes

I think they will go to China next year.

Just watched footy classified interesting to hear all agreed regarding access to the MCG for interstate teams. This is a real issue at the moment.

Second time I’ve seen this, both of them from you. Aside from playing the odd practice match there I don’t see any connection.Have you got some info you’d like to share?

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Stadiums etc

38,000 last night to the Collingwood v Bulldogs game at Etihad. Really not a great figure. This year the crowds seem to be very underwhelming.

2 Likes

Magpies fans don’t like the club playing a home game at Docklands.

1 Like

The backdrop at Alice Springs is simple gorgeous. Pity the game couldn’t be better for the locals.

2 Likes

I’ve switched over to this game pretty much just for the scenery and that’s it being played in a regional centre.

2 Likes