AFL

Robert Walls, enough said. Hasn’t been relevant for years. I wouldn’t expect WC to remain top, but I’d expect a top eight finish.

1 Like

They will make the top 4 but have no hope in winning the grand final if they play against a victorian side. The AFL have rigged it so interstate teams cannot win. The past time an interstate team beat a victorian team in a grand final was back in 2003 when Brisbane beat Collingwood.

1 Like

Didn’t the Sydney Swans beat Hawthorn in 2012?

You are right. Sorry take that back.

Still we have had a string of interstate teams lose to victorian ones which certainly questions the legitimate fairness of the game. Port Adelaide, West coast, Fremantle, Sydney and Adelaide have all lost to a victorian side.

Yet since the inception of the AFL in 1990

West Coast: 92, 94, 06
Adelaide: 97, 98
Brisbane: 01, 02, 03
Port Adelaide: 04
Sydney: 05, 12

St Kilda has one in 120 years, Bulldogs two in 93 years, Melbourne hasn’t won since 1964.

1 Like

Thats a little hyperbolic - its not an easy task, but nor is it impossible or some kind of AFL-sanctioned rort. It’s not an one size fits all issue too

Interstate teams are getting better at dealing with Grand Final week though

Last premierships for Victorian teams:
Carlton: 1995 (over Geelong)
Collingwood: 2010 (during Replay against St Kilda)
Essendon: 2000 (happened in early September due to the Olympics)
Geelong: 2011 (3 premierships/4 grand finals in 5 years.
Hawthorn: 2015 (noted for the hat-trick of trophies)
Melbourne: 1964 (longest current flag drought).
North Melbourne: 1999 (during the AFL Season)
Richmond: 2017 (recent)
St Kilda: 1966 (following a nailbiting win over the Magpies.
Western Bulldogs: 2016 (finishing from 7th spot)

Teams that are yet to win the flag:
Fremantle: (during the 23-years, but reached the 2013 AFL Grand Final where they lost to Hawthorn by 15 points.)
Gold Coast: in its 7 seasons, but failing to make the finals
GWS: in its 6 seasons, but failing to make the grand final

I don’t think its grand final week. Its the little access to the MCG throughout the year.

So why didn’t Melbourne win every Grand Final until 1963?

I get it’s not great for non MCG clubs but it is what it is.

Which clubs were travelling from interstate prior to 1963?

Melbourne was the only home team at the MCG until 1963 when Richmond left Punt Road Oval. Yet all finals and the grand final were played at the G (with war time exceptions)

If the argument is lack of access throughout the year and not travel in grand final week, then it’s not about non Victorian teams travelling, but number of games played at the grand final venue.

Personally, I’d be happy to see more matches at the MCG, including against non Vic teams.

I’m well aware of the history.
Richmond left Punt Rd Oval at the end of 1964.
Last I heard, it’s rare for any side to train on the MCG.
My thoughts on the fixture are above. I’m all for more equality. AFL won’t do it whilst this business model is in place.

End of 64, well there you go, I was out by a season. Take me out and shoot me.

Melbourne trained there until 1985 (or thereabouts, I’d hate to be wrong) didn’t do them much good!

I was more referring to current day when mentioning training. Plenty of teams actually reconfigure their training venue to mirror the MCG, such as Adelaide. Didn’t really help them at all. I don’t agree with the argument that the MCG is the deciding factor in Grand Finals.
Not sure about shooting anyone thanks, was merely saying Rich left Punt Road in 1964. Must have been something happening during the 60’s (I’m not old enough to know why nor Victorian) as quite a few teams moved on from their original home bases.

How ridiculous. Obviously its not impossible. Simply saying it gives victorian teams a huge advantage.

Also grounds in victoria were all quite similar in length and width.

Shout out to the Brisbane Lions (a former champ club 15-20 years ago), finally starting to see some consistent, light at the end of the tunnel. A great win over Hawthorn at the 'Gabba yesterday, also looked like a decent crowd.

And just on China, I’m on the side that if it can help introduce the game into brand new markets AND get return on a significant commercial opportunity, good. But we need to continue growing the game in non traditional markets first, particular focus on Gold Coast Suns.

China is about as non-traditional as you can get?

5 Likes

I think he means NSW and QLD?

1 Like

Interesting discussion on 7mate’s Talking Footy tonight, panelists were 50/50 on it (like China game or don’t like it).

My comment tried to synthesize both opinions.

Correct

1 Like

There’s a bit of reading around, for the most part money was the cause. I think with the exception of Collingwood, the clubs were beholden to local councils or cricket clubs as ground managers, whilst the football was raking in the dollars, but seeing very little in return.

St Kilda’s move to Moorabbin and North’s move to Coburg and back to Arden St again are probably the most interesting I think.