AFL

Future local derbies involving West Coast and Fremantle will not have a trophy nor the Ross Glendinning Medal for best player on the field, because of changes to brewer CUB’s sponsorship deal. Instead, the Eagles will award its own medal to the team’s best player during the derby.

1 Like

How bizarre that the medal hangs on a sponsorship.

1 Like

Hamish McLachlan is the MC for the pre-match formalities for the Collingwood v Essendon match today. Where is Craig Willis? It’s not the same without him.

1 Like

After going to the North v port game today i have realised there needs to be something done with North Melbourne. 17000 at a game in Melbourne is shocking when you were third on the ladder before the game begun.

Other thing that baffles me is only one game being played at the MCG for the weekend.

I was there too (I’m a Power supporter living in Geelong these days), not the lowest crowd I’ve been in but it felt so empty. I doubt anyone would notice if the Roos were relocated to Tassie.

After Carlton’s win over Essendon at the MCG, Brisbane Lions recorded 0-8, their worst start to an AFL season in its history. Last time they played in finals was back in 2009. Brisbane’s winning record since 2010 sits on 50 Wins, 134 Losses (27.1% winning record). Brisbane Lions for 2018 and the future will look bleak.
This year saw losses to St Kilda, Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Richmond, Gold Coast, GWS, Collingwood and Western Bulldogs. The next five games for Brisbane will be against Hawthorn, Sydney, Kangaroos, Essendon and GWS.

I wonder how @Sully is feeling regarding Essendons start to the season.

Essendon has beaten Adelaide (R1) and Port Adelaide (R4) at home. They sit with two wins and 6 losses.

Pretty shit actually

2 Likes

I’m sure you’re just as happy as me that we beat the clowns from West Lakes :stuck_out_tongue:

With the Suns also performing poorly, one has to wonder whether 2 teams in SE QLD is going to be viable long term. Though all the talk about survival or relocation seems to be about the Kangaroos or St Kilda.

Brisbane Lions member numbers have declined from 2016. Last year, Brisbane’s 21 362 members was very low. They want to be a bigger and better team, but they were unsuccessful. Time will tell about their home crowds. Their home crowds at the Gabba was quite low.

They’ve ticked over 24,000 so far this year so that’s an improvement. If you’re thinking of the game at the Gabba on the weekend that was a Gold Coast home game given the Commonwealth Games at Cararra. Apparently there were more Melbourne supporters there than Suns.

Another sell out in Shanghai yet we still have empty seats. I know friends in Shanghai who wanted to go but couldn’t.

A lot of discussion on radio earlier today about Tasmania and expansion clubs, particularly Gold Coast and GWS, plus future of Aussie Rules.

Tim Lane was fired up as usual, with some bizarre comments/thoughts from presidents of GWS and North Melbourne

Apparently the organisers are relying on temporary seating because most of the existing ones at Jiangwan Stadium (especially those at both curved ends) are too far from the playing field. The arena is a bit like Los Angeles Coliseum with a rectangle in the middle and a semi circle at either end.

Maybe I’m missing something here, but wouldn’t it be easier for the AFL to move the Giants to Canberra and maybe the Suns (but rebadged with a name that’d work better for the island state, of course) to Tasmania?

THis year the GWS home crowds was very low averaging approximately 10000 despite of the increasing membership nos. They want to be a successful team in the league but unfortunately giants have lost to geelong, West Coast, and North Melbourne so badly.

Meanwhile ther Eagles and Richmond game at Perth Stadium on Sunday will be a must watch on FTA in WA. Eagles have more than 60000 members while Tigers have got a record high of more than 90000 fans. Eagles home games have averaged around 52000 fans. They both have played fantastically during the start of 2018. I expect that tomorrow’s crowd will break a crowd record. I’m thinking of 57000 or 58000 people at the stadium.

3 Likes

Another very confusing fixture for my liking. I thought Essendon was supposed to hold home games at Etihad yet they are playing at the MCG today.

Is the game a “marquee” game though?

Against Geelong there’s always the chance of a crowd over 50,000. It would be worth holding at the G on such occasions. The same would apply if Collingwood or Richmond were playing too I’d reckon. It looks pretty well attended from what I’m seeing on FOX.

But if it was against say… errr… Port Adelaide, they may as well take it to somewhere like Ballarat. :smiley: