AFL

It is nothing new mate, it’s just what vile supporters do - booing. I heard plenty of last week when they played Geelong. I was in the crowd, it’s atroshicious but every game has it. I don’t think it’s an issue. It only becomes an issue when booing then becomes heckling/abusing a player based on racial/skin colour.

Management really don’t need to look at this. If it’s not causing any issues for the home or away team or spectators, it’s a non issues to me.

1 Like

I know. Just stating its something I cannot stand about the game.

Booing also occurs simply when the player is now playing for the opposition.

I think it’s okay as long as there’s no racial or other untoward undertones to it.

It was often said Adam Goodes was booed because there was a view that he staged for a free kick.

1 Like

Yeah fair enough mate. It’s only when there is maliciousness intended to torture a player especially target due to race/religion that’s when I have a problem with it.

1 Like

The AFL has changed the sanctions given to AFLW players, meaning female players will no longer be more likely than male players to be suspended for identical incidents and having the same disciplinary records. As the result, Western Bulldogs star Katie Brennan’s two-match suspension for rough conduct has been reduced to one match, and she is free to play in the opening round of 2019 season.

Fans will be able to see live player stats from Telstra Tracker at LED ad boards at Melbourne Cricket Ground and Etihad Stadium this round, including the Anzac Day game.

First draw of the season - St Kilda and GWS tied at 73-73 this afternoon, after the Saints led at quarter time and half time, and the Giants led at three quarter time. The crowd was very poor: only 14,956 at Etihad Stadium.

2 Likes

Some NRL clubs would be happy with that crowd though.

I can’t imagine the Giants having much of a supporter base in Melbourne though, which would help to explain that figure.

The AFL must consider relocating St Kilda. They are a club with little success, apparent culture issues, poor attendance and debts. Why they invested in two new teams instead of relocating them to the Gold Coast or Sydney is beyond me. They should just bite the bullet and put them in Tasmania.

Even if that’s the case. Only 14,000 supporters of their club made it to the game. That is shocking.

This probably won’t happen anytime in the foreseeable future but personally, I think the AFL must consider relocating the Giants. I’m sure somewhere like Canberra or Tasmania would appreciate having that team far more than Western Sydney does right now.

At the very least GWS needs to move to a new home ground they can actually use all season even though admittedly, the team’s use of the Sydney Showgrounds Arena/Spotless Stadium has resulted in decent upgrades for the venue in recent years.

1 Like

I don’t think GWS should be moved from Sydney. I think they have created success and in time will build a supporter base. Last year they had 20,000 members, increasing by 7,000 on the previous year. I agree they need a ground all year round.

Perhaps St Kilda to Canberra? The Canberra Saints.

1 Like

or North Melbourne/Gold Coast to Tasmania

1 Like

Agree with North Melbourne to Tasmania but don’t agree with Gold Coast to Tasmania. You can’t just up and move a club after 7/8 years in the competition. Yes their membership is a lot more concerning than GWS but still they need sometime to build some success and history. I do think they need a team in the Gold Coast they just need to create some winning success in that state and create some interest in AFL up North. It is possible because there was big interest back in 2000-2004 when Brisbane were virtually unbeatable.

I think North Melbourne and St Kilda have had a blind eye given as they were supported by the previous two CEO’s.

4 Likes

Turdall’s on the money here. AFL have made it clear they’re not interested in touching the NSW/QLD teams. Hence why they’re also not interested in a third team for either SA/WA yet.

It’s fairly clear Tasmania want none of North Melbourne. Go to a game there, any team with any decent support hilariously outnumber the North supporters. Carlton last weekend are a prime example. Sending them there permanently is merely delaying the inevitable.

Has to have been some time since all games on a Saturday turned-out to be great games!

North Melbourne aren’t seen as supporters of Tasmania, they appear to be supporters of Hobart at times but even then they’re a team that just like St Kilda have come in and played a few games and then disappeared and looked at setting up a home base on the Gold Coast and then to Ballarat and then back to Hobart again. Meanwhile, Hawthorn have come here and from the beginning of their relationship have seemed like genuine supporters of the State, despite the fact Jeff Kennett has ruled out ever moving and doesn’t support them having a full time team - understandable as they would be the biggest losers if that happened. However they have done the hard yards over the last decade and a bit and have built a decent supporter base and then for those they can’t win over, they have become second or third favourites for them too. To ask supporters to just drop that and switch straight to another team that supposedly now supports us is going to be a tough ask - as North Melbourne are finding out.
Hawthorn have been adopted, North are still like the cousin which comes to visit sometimes but doesn’t really like being out of the big city.

Hawthorn are here for exactly the same reasons as North Melbourne. Membership boost and $$$$. There’s no other reason, never ever been another one. Laughable to think otherwise really.
As for people they can’t win over they’ve become second and third teams, who in their right mind is supporting multiple teams in the one competition? And, if this were true, why have Hawthorn attendance numbers dropped off in Launceston?

Of course Hawthorn are only here for memberships but they’re a lot better at acting like they like the place than North Melbourne or St Kilda ever have been and they have actually done a fair bit over a number of years for the place too by running more camps and clinics etc… than North have.
Second and third teams, surely you’ve heard people say this? People won’t give up their first team but they do feel a connection with Hawthorn because of what they’ve been doing over the past decade and will support them - won’t translate into actual memberships but they’ll support them at the games (unless they’re playing their number 1 team).
Attendance numbers have dropped because people from Hobart don’t see the need to travel to Launceston anymore, exactly as predicted. Both ends of the state need to support the games otherwise we end up with 2 half empty (or half full, depends if you’re a pessimist or an optimist) stadiums. Launceston shouldn’t lose their games because they did a hell of a lot of work in the 90’s before the Bacon government started assisting in building up the ground and attracting the teams and the games. Hobart then only wanted it because Launceston had it and now as was predicted - they don’t show up to the games in the North and in a few years will struggle to go to the games in the South too I reckon.

1 Like