AFL

Surely that’s deliberate tanking at that point? Don’t want to accidentally get on a winning streak and mess up their draft hand…

2 Likes

I agree he didn’t look cooked to me.

You have to feel for a North Melbourne supporter.

3 Likes

North Melbourne doesn’t need more youngsters - they need to use their draft spots as trade bait to try and get some experienced talent into the club.

3 Likes

Like who? I’m not sure anyone getable is worth a first round draft pick.

‘I assume they know each other very well, otherwise it’s a highly unusual thing which is why we’re talking about it.’

‘It is a first. I’ve never seen it before. Have you ever seen it? That’s why we’re talking about it. It’s quite an unusual one.’

1 Like

Non event.

5 Likes

This is just utterly ridiculous, but you can bet after this typical media circus, she won’t bother doing it again.

I noticed the opposite happened the other day at the Big Freeze, James Brayshaw leant in and gave Rebecca Maddern a peck, with her repsonse “aww, JB’s just left a big wet splash on my face” or something. Was this reported?

1 Like

Holmes said it was “really upsetting” that a columnist had “blown (it) up out of proportion” by writing about the kiss, which she said did not make her feel uncomfortable, more than a week after the fact and without asking for her opinion.

“It’s really frustrating for me. Lachie is a good friend of mine, so that’s just something that you do — you greet your friends, whether that’s a hug or a kiss on the cheek,” Holmes told LiSTNR’s Footy Talk.

“Kate Halfpenny wrote the article. But does she know my relationship with Lachie? Does she know that he’s a good friend of mine?

4 Likes

There were six new inductees at Australian Football Hall of Fame in Melbourne tonight.

Dane Swan
Chris McDermott
Ralph Robertson
Kelvin Templeton
Ray Schofield
Michael Graham

And Jason Dunstall was officially elevated to Legend status.

2 Likes

As first revealed in today’s Herald Sun, the AFL has massively increased the prizes for the winners of Mark of the Year and Goal of the Year. This year’s Goal of the Year winner will receive $50,000 from National Australia Bank, and Mark of the Year winner will get $50,000, and two million Velocity Frequent Flyer Points from Virgin Australia.

2 Likes

The AFL has been forced to issue a public apology to a former player and his family who was incorrectly mourned at the Australian Football Hall of Fame dinner on Tuesday night.

Hawthorn premiership player Michael Porter was included in the ‘in memoriam’ segment of the night, where the league pays tribute to members of the AFL community who have died in the past 12 months.

Porter is alive and well at 79 years of age.

Once it became aware of its error, the AFL moved quickly to apologise to the family.

2 Likes

Speaking as a Port Adelaide fan, this afternoon’s match was just embarrassing.

1 Like

Yeah frustrating. But I’m not surprised we have been ordinary all year. We need an external review. Todd Goldsack isn’t cutting it has a defence coach and Ken probably needs to go.

1 Like

If they let Ken stay then both him and the board have to go as well.

What a thrilling finish. I would’ve loved to have seen North win but not to be.

Another poor crowd for a Demons game at the MCG, just 28k turned up tonight.

3 Likes

Why the board? Some of them have only been appointed months ago.

Would be responsible for making the decision to sack the coach.

Sorry yeah I misread that. Completely agree. I personally feel something will happen at some point but probably at seasons end. I would rather see an external review. It worked really well at Collingwood and resulted in a premiership.

1 Like

Sport Integrity Australia report

• Sports Integrity Australia found no evidence players in the AFL were feigning injuries to avoid illicit drug use strikes.
  • MP Andrew Wilkie had used parliamentary privilege in March to claim Melbourne players were given “off-the-book” drug tests.
  • SIA has made several recommendations to the AFL around changes to its current policies.

SIA made a series of recommendations from its investigation. They included:

• there be independent oversight of the AFL’s illicit drugs policy;
  • introducing guidelines for AFL sanctioned illicit drugs testing within the policy;
  • the continued expansion of the intelligence capability in the AFL’s integrity unit;
  • testing of AFLW players in the new policy;
  • developing a strategy for addressing illicit drug use by non-players;
  • greater education on the illicit drugs policy and anti-doping policy; and
  • continuing to expand the AFL’s education program.

The full SIA report can be read here.

2 Likes