AFL

:red_circle: :white_circle: :red_circle: :white_circle: :red_circle: :white_circle:

1 Like

I was really wanting to hop on the Essendon train @Sully but failed to produce the points. I will wait until round 16 to see if I think they are capable or not.

They really should have won the game. The ball belonged in their forward half but just failed to get a score and convert. Definitely some forward issues but some promising signs. Geelong is the one they need to win to have some credibility as a top 4 team.

3 Likes

Carlton have been really surprising for me this season.

The first two charity goals to the Blues by the umpires didn’t help.

Although we (Essendon) couldn’t kick straight even if our lives dependant on it. Ridiculous to kick 9.16

3 Likes

Really? You expected more or less? I expected them to be in the top 4 which is where they are.

As a port supporter i feel your pain. We have had two games we could have won or at least been in it if we had converted better.

Is any team capable of stopping Sydney winning the comp this year? A look at the ladder suggests not, which has them 2 wins clear at the top.

1 Like

I think Carlton, Collingwood or Brisbane can. If a Victorian team is playing in the GF then it is a lot harder for Sydney to win as well. Sydney are the team to beat. They have played every team bar 1 in the top 12 and beaten them all. Quite an incredible team.

2 Likes

Yes disappointing night for the Dons, even if some positives for the future stat wise to take out of it, but 4pts is 4 pts and hurts being Carlton. The atmosphere also felt different to 12 months ago, maybe because we were trailing. I am not superstitious, but given we won last year’s in an upset and easily too, rarely do teams or at least us win them twice in a row, a la Anzac Day. Still Top 4, Geelong’s loss helped that, into a bye, interesting weeks ahead :man_shrugging:

Seeing Neale Daniher each year at the Big Freeze brings out a range of emotions - happy to see that he is still with us fighting to find a cure and sad that we just don’t know how long the footy world has left with him

I don’t know how this man has not been named an Australian of The Year yet.

6 Likes

I thought this year’s Big Freeze 10th anniversary was really good too, some great costumes and personality ideas. An Aussie international sports champion in Pat Rafter was saved until last, he was good too. Erin Phillips as Pink I reckon looked the best. And Mark Horton was a surprise, his Peter Garrett impressions were on point! JB arguably the best overall.

Hearing Nate Jones speak was also touching, got to play under him back in the mid-2000s when Daniher was coaching and Jones was starting, also the Dees’ last final before they’d gradually sink including the tanking saga and lows of early 2010s before rebounding the past half decade.

4 Likes

The Australian reports late tonight that CFMEU secretary John Setka has demanded the AFL to sack its head of umpiring Stephen McBurney, or face delays on its league-related projects nationwide. The threat comes after McBurney launched legal action against the union during his time as the Australian Building and Construction Commissioner, resulting in the CFMEU being penalised millions of dollars.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/cfmeu-victorian-leader-john-setka-demands-sacking-of-afl-umpire-boss-stephen-mcburney/news-story/47dc462434f8be457da0c0127cf909b2

UPDATE 12/6

2 Likes

What a total F wit.

1 Like

I feel like I woke up in the future watching this North game

4 Likes

I just saw the score and thought I was seeing things!
Surely not possible that the Kangaroos could beat Collingwood?

4 Likes

Collingwood came from 54 points down early in the third quarter, to take the lead against North Melbourne late in the final term, and held on to win by one point. That’s after the Kangaroos dominated the first half with 14 goals.

An opportunity lost by North Melbourne. It has shades of their 2001 encounter against Essendon, and they lost that match after building a massive lead.

4 Likes

Been a lot of this this season. You need to be 70 points up to be a certainty to win now.

5 Likes

Alastair Clarkson for Coach of the Year. Absolute genius move taking Will Phillips off as a tactical sub.

Yes, I’m a Collingwood supporter - how did you know?

3 Likes

Apparently he didn’t have the fitness? I’m not sure why he hasn’t been playing this season. He was really good for the 3 quarters.

2 Likes

Surely you’d at least give him the first ~10 or so? Phillips clearly didn’t want to come off.

1 Like

nOrF

Still incredible :upside_down_face:

Foxtel would’ve had some pretty darn good audiences yesterday and today early afternoon’s for Dusty’s 300th and the epic Pies comeback today.

2 Likes