AFL

The full fixture for the inaugural AFLX competition was released today. AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan said:

Fans who can’t get to the venues, are able to watch live nationally on the free-to-air channels of Seven and its digital platforms, on Fox Footy only on Foxtel and its digital platforms and in partnership with Telstra via the official AFL website AFL.com.au and the Official AFL Live App created by Telstra, and will deliver the action live, fast and data-free for Telstra mobile customers. Fans will also be able to watch replays in full via the Telstra TV AFL App.

1 Like

I’ll be interested to see how this works out, particularly the rectangular field aspect.

Also today, the AFL launched a separate AFLW app, available on App Store and Google Play. Fans can get the latest news, interviews and features, player profiles and exclusive video content. Telstra customers will be also be able to stream all 29 AFLW matches live, including the grand final.

The AFL launched its seven-a-side AFLX tournament at Melbourne’s Etihad Stadium today. It will be sponsored by Zooper Dooper (flavoured ice block produced by Lion Dairy and Drinks, which also makes Pura, Dairy Farmers dairy products among others). Zooper Dooper, which sponsored the Big Bash League last season, will also put its name on the 10-point goal which is scored from outside the 40m mark. The game will be played with a special silver coloured Sherrin football.
AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan has flagged the idea of playing AFLX in Hong Kong in late 2019. As someone who was born and bred in HK I welcome the proposal because it could help promote the sport in the city.

2 Likes

Oh really? I thought it was on next week.

it’s next week, which starts next Thursday to Saturday

Yet the bigger interest in footy circles has surrounded “guidelines” for the remainder of the women’s comp which tear at the fabric of the game, and the continued decline into irrelevance of Tasmanian football.

Is it true over 40000 went to a AFLW game in Perth? The AFL should have had the AFLX comp at the new stadium. Guaranteed sellout.

yes it was, it was shown during the AFLW game, plus its the highest ever for an AFLW game ever

What was shown?

the attendance figures

I’ve written Two letters two AFL Tasmania about the Poor Health of the Game in the North West, Gillon McLachlan made says nothing’s wrong, but One Day if a Composite Tasmanian Team comes into the Fold, Two Victorian Clubs may Join Forces to Create an-all Melbourne Merge.

Aussie Rules at the second and third tiers has been an issue for 20 years or more (not just in the NW either), not sure why it’s suddenly an issue now?
As for Gillon, his hands are tied at AFL level until 2021. I don’t expect Hawthorn to be renewed… As for grassroots etc, there’s still plenty of Aussie Rules played here, so what Gil said is actually reasonably close to the truth. The Next Gen Academies will take time to come to fruition, but the work is being put in.
Remember, footy in NSW and QLD are both long term projects, if anything St Kilda are having as many financial issues as GCS/GWS/Bris.

It’s probably become a massive issue when a whole region is now no longer represented at a high level. I’m sure there were murmurings when there were issues with Launceston based clubs being basically turfed (when they won the flag no less), with replacements being announced but eventually either dropping out or being stillborn. The murmurings were certainly there when Hobart and North Hobart basically were forced to merge to bring in a created team in Kingborough which only now has started to become semi relevant (and that forced merger worked as well as the Northern Eagles, with North Hobart playing the role of Manly).

Tassie people also feel as though the replacement of Queensland and NSW/ACT state teams in the 18’s championships with club based academies, then cobbling an Allies team together where 85% of the team are from those 4 teams was another slap in the face to Tasmanian underage football. Let’s be honest, most of those players who get into those academies are generally out of the game within 5 years.

Is the TSL the highest level in Tassie? Not so sure about that.
Burnie and Devonport still both exist, just in a competition where there’s not the expectation to travel statewide and foot the bill for it.
South Launceston voted to leave the TSL, not sure how that’s being kicked out? Hobart ditto. Both still exist.
The Hob/NH merger never actually happened. AFL TAS owned 50% of the licence (same as Prospect licence that became the Western Storm). Hobart returned to the SFL. NH, at the end of 2017, reobtained the other 50% from AFL TAS.
Yes, AFL TAS pushed for a Kingston based team. Purely to represent the region (sound familiar? It should).
I’d argue 99.9% of the footy watching population in Tassie have very little idea or care about under 18 championships unless they know someone playing or coaching. TAS have an under 18s team anyway. It plays in the Academy series, same as NT. You’ll find that the bulk of the Allies squad last year came from the strongest teams (I.e. not Tas). Face it, the average AFL career is about 3 years, the Academies are a good system to develop talent (clearly, given they’re providing the bulk of the Allies squad). The AFL could pump more money into Tasmania, not a guarantee it would improve the standard.

Has anyone been to any of the AFLX games?

I didn’t like it the other night on tv but went to the game at Etihad (FREE TICKETS). Here are a few of my views:

• They got 22k into the game. Pretty good crowd. They had 10,000 at Adelaide (capacity was only 16000). I would say in terms of attendance it has been a success so far.
  • The game itself was quite interesting but although it was ‘fast’ it lacked the competitive edge AFL has. I would like them to go from 7 on a side to 10. Force 1 player to be in the 40m arc.
  • The entertainment around the ground was unnecessary as was the commentator on the ground.
  • The flashing goal posts were my highlight. They should bring those intoe the proper season for night games.
  • The competition over this weekend was confusing. I think they should have held a tournament in the one city over the same weekend. All clubs come and have one proper winner not three winners all up.
  • Offer some bigger money to the clubs so they play the big stars ($500,000 prize money or something). That is what the fans want. How great would have it been to see Dyson Hypell or Lance Franklin (Zooper goals) playing.
  • And finally as a little joke, maybe (maybe not), when a zooper goal is kicked i think they should be throwing zooper doopers into the crowd.

EDIT: and tuning into todays game never hold in Sydney again. How many people do they have there that aren’t playing for their respective clubs?

3 Likes

If Tasmania wants an AFL Team, They Need to fix up this Mess of Tasmanian Football but Restructuring Leagues and Merging Clubs in Order to Stay Afloat.

I’m guessing curing Tassie’s problems are on the backburner given the Vic Country leagues are at odds with decentralisation plans giving control to AFL Victoria rather than keeping their independence. A number of players eligible to play TAC Cup 18’s are caught in the crossfire in that in order to remain eligible to train and play with a TAC Team they have to play in a league who is run by AFL Vic rather than just affiliated with.

This year’s AFLW Grand Final will be held in Melbourne after the Demons beat Carlton this afternoon. With one round to go, the Western Bulldogs are on top of the ladder. Even though the Bulldogs lost to the Giants, the Bulldogs’ massive percentage of 148.4% means they can’t drop out of top two.

The AFL has re-recorded the theme songs of 15 clubs. Fremantle, Gold Coast and GWS club songs are exempt. The new versions can be heard here
After I listened to the new version of Hawthorn club song, my thought is: why bother? :expressionless:

3 Likes