AFL

I personally thought Tex tried his best. It didn’t help that most of his teammates were MIA. Eddie Betts had a shocker though again not a lot of decent forward entries that helped him with scoring chances.

IIRC, didn’t the 2010 drawn GF receive a Blu-ray release quite a while after but the replay only got a standard DVD release treatment?

You are correct on this one. The following year Geelong’s win was also released on Blu-ray as Ten simulcast the match in HD, then we had to wait until last year for the next AFL Grand Final Blu-ray.

1 Like

Well, I think most were probably expecting the finals to be really close contests this year (I certainly did). It’s safe to say most were way off with that expectation then. Apart from one classic final (Port and West Coast at Adelaide Oval in the first elimination), the rest were complete blowouts. It was in stark contrast to the amazing H&A season we had this year. Even the GF ended in yet another blowout and was pretty much over by the 2nd quarter as Richmond took complete control of the contest and Adelaide’s confidence was shattered early. A little disappointing that the finals didn’t live up to what was expected.

Its another case of a side that cant play the bigger grounds. Adelaide wont win a grand final with their game style just like Sydney. The thing as well is the crows got lucky they played 3 games at the MCG.

Could St Kilda or Melbourne do it next year breaking their 50 or 52 year drought respectively? First Western Bulldogs last year and now Richmond this year

The trick is to play GWS in a Preliminary Final.

6 Likes

No

What a great match, out of all the finals I have seen (grand finals) I have to see this was the most intense one. Richmond just gave it their all in the third and fourth quarter! Well deserved and better team to win!

AustralianAerial, can you explain why you think no? I mean all the teams have a chance to get into the grand final next year. I think Saints are coming along quite nicely.

Yep. Certain Grand Finals since 2011 were not produced in HD. Absolutely shameful from Seven.

This happened to Port Adelaide back in 2002 and 2003 before coming out to win in 2004. I wouldn’t ride them off for next year.

No way, maybe you haven’t seen many GF’s.

2012? 2005? 2010 Draw?

2 Likes

Take away last years game and this was easily the worst GF game wise in quite some time.

2 Likes

Question:

Does the MCG’s capacity include standing room?

(i.e.) 100,024 is a ‘lock out’?

Yes. That includes around 5,000 standing spots.

1 Like

I will preface this by admitting how wrong I was this year about Richmond, so take my cynicism with a grain of salt.

St. Kilda’s inconsistency is what turns me off about them; on one hand, they can demolish Richmond, but are punished by the likes of Sydney. They are by no means the only club that suffered through that this year, mind, and it’ll be interesting to see what kind of fixture they receive next year. Likewise for Melbourne who couldn’t make finals this year on their own merit, and would have barely passed the first week had they not lost to Collingwood (and who can forget that West Coast game?).

It was only 7 years ago since the Saints made a grand final, so not impossible, but I have a feeling that 2018 won’t be as much of a close race as the regular season was this year.

Don’t remind me.

I think some people are being a bit harsh on yesterday’s game. Remember at half time Richmond had basically stolen the lead with Adelaide (in my opinion) probably having the better of the first quarter and a half - it was anybody’s game at that point. Of course it did blow open in the 3rd term but it was tight until then

Contrast that with the early blowouts of 2013, 2014 and 2015, not to mention the 2007 decider (sorry Turdall) and the 2010 replay - at least there was a contest for a half

Anyway, congratulations to Richmond. Fair to say I did not pick this, nor did I fancy them at the start of the year. Hate to be negative so soon but, like the Doggies last year, it just has that feeling that all the stars aligned at the just the right time for them this year. I fancy Adelaide will be back and a contender next year (they’re too good a team not to be), but don’t quite see Richmond doing it like that again

2 Likes

For as long as Richmond can continue to deliver that intense pressure and push the opposition into panicking and force errors, they can do very well.

tamago is right, Adelaide were there for a quarter and a half, but went missing afterwards. Very silly mistakes late in the game - not becoming of a number one side of the competition IMO. Very disappointing end for the Crows. They let the Tigers run over the top of them.

(Hawthorn vs Fremantle) Not sure that was a ‘blowout’ but no one really talks about this Grand Final even though the final margin was only 15 points and was very close until that famous Smith goal in the 4Q. Freo actually kicked 4 behinds in a row at the end of the game and it could have so easily been a classic!

I’m for one are glad that we didn’t see another Geelong or Hawthorn premiership this year.

Bombers for 2018 :laughing:

2 Likes