AFL

TIGERSSSSSSSSS :tiger::tiger::tiger:

(Seven keeping their finger on the ā€˜dump buttonā€™ arenā€™t they :wink: Lots of F-Bombs!)

Probably not the best idea having James Hird present the Norm Smith, heavily booed in the process. Bizarre choice.

Whole of family was like WTF when he walked on the stage.

1 Like

I believe it goes by the year they won it or something along those lines. Thereā€™s a system to it

People need to move on what happened in the past. Itā€™s over and done with

5 Likes

Correct, he won in 2000 so it was his turn this year. Shaun Hart will present next year.

2 Likes

Well done to the Tigers. Wish the broadcaster didnā€™t cut to ads so soon after the siren and rather kept the footage of the celebrations.

1 Like

100 021 people at this yearā€™s AFL Grand final

• Broke record for the biggest crowd between a Non-Victorian team and a Victorian team that was set in 2013 AFL grand final (Hawthorn v fremantle)
  • Broke record for the biggest crowd since itā€™s reconfiguration from 2005
3 Likes

Biggest crowd since 1986

Not bizarre at all. I thought it was a great decision.

1 Like

Why do they have to wait 17 years to present it?

Why not a more even number like 20 or 25 years?

Which means Dustin Martin will present the medal in 2034?

Good Question.

The Norm Smith Medal wasnā€™t presented until 1979. In 2004, the AFL invited Wayne Harms, the 1979 winner to present the medal which began a new tradition of winners presenting the medal in order of their win.

So Wayne Harms presented 25 years after he won it.
Now they only have to wait 17 yearsā€¦

Maybe because players who win it more than once only get to present it once?

Could be that, in 2010 there were two Grand Finals therefore two medals or maybe some previous winners declined for whatever reason to present when their turn came around.

4 Likes

The voting for the Norm Smith Medal was close. Dustin Martin beat Bachar Houli by 3 votes. The voting breakdown:
13 D Martin 33331
10 B Houli 32221
2 A Rance 2
2 S Edwards 2
2 D Prestia 11
1 J Graham 1

Chris Judd: Martin, Houli, Graham
Terry Wallace: Houli, Edwards, Martin
Daisy Pearce: Martin, Houli, Prestia
Mark Maclure: Martin, Rance, Houli
Jake Niall: Martin, Houli, Prestia

Gary Ayres and Andrew McLeod won it twice, so a single presentation I guess covers those years, plus Gary Sr Iā€™m sure didnā€™t present the medal (shuns the limelight as a rule), so thatā€™s 5 years down. Given Luke Hodge won 2 I guess heā€™d only present once as well. Would Buckley present if heā€™s still coaching Collingwood in 2 years time?

1 Like

100,024 is the MCGā€™s capacity :open_mouth:

HOLY MOLY!

(Though not every seat in the ground was used, as MCC reserve was full and into standing room, which contributes to that figure).

So couldā€™ve been even higer than that.

1 Like

Beyond Home Entertainment has taken over as distributor of AFL Premiers DVD and Blu-ray. Just found out from the website that last yearā€™s grand final was released in Blu-ray three weeks after the DVD (the first AFL Premiers Blu-ray since Geelong won the 2011 premiership)* so I reckon todayā€™s match will be released on Blu-ray by the end of October. The DVD is being made right now and the first batch will go on sale tomorrow (Sunday) morning.
*The Blu-ray is only possible with Seven showing the match live in HD.

3 Likes

Yeah the 3 people missing were Jenkins, Talia and Walker.

3 Likes

Yeah, was probably extremely unlikely but thought Iā€™d throw it out there anyways. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

In 1982 Maurice Rioli won it even though he played on a losing team to Carlton which beat Richmond by around 4 goals that day.

Despite much of the 2nd half, personally I still thought it was a great game holistically, enjoyed it as much as last year :grinning:

Both so euphoric!

Perhaps Iā€™m showing VIC bias in the ā€˜bandwagonā€™ sense though?

Congratulations to Richmond. Well deserved win and all but was a little disappointing to see Adelaide didnā€™t didnā€™t show up for the contest. Were Richmond that good or were Adelaide that crap. I was expecting a much closer contest up until the last quarter or so before the Crows took off, but Richmond had them from basically the 2nd quarter or so. Tex Walker is probably the only player from the Crows to hold his head up as he battled all day by himself.

Again congrats to the Tigers and their success-starved supporters who have waited patiently for 37 years for this day!

3 Likes