AFL

That is a huge scandal. Herald Sun first reported the affairs on Tuesday, and by last night Simon Lethlean and Richard Simkiss have both resigned.

This is one ecstatic Bombers supporter :grin:

1 Like

So… employees got sacked for having an affair? Seems a bit extreme.

What’s extreme?

IMO the AFL made a great call & got on the front foot with McLachlan.

Show’s a lot about how the AFL want their culture to be & perceived.

Lethlean is one of his closest feiends and colleagues, you could see it was tough.

McLachlan openly said he was “disappointed” [with what had occurred].

1 Like

I know many people who I have worked with who had an affair with a colleague but never got sacked because of it. Sounds extreme to me.

1 Like

I agree, if it is a consenting relationship between 2 adults, my view is that it is a personal matter. I think the AFL should only be getting involved IF

(1) The affairs are impacting on work matters eg. inappropriate use of work email
(2) If it receives a harrassment (or other form) of complaint from staff

In my workplace, we had a senior executive resign over an affair, but only because he was caught rorting travel expense claims in that he was using them to visit her.

1 Like

There were complaints from other staff in the AFL about the two affairs but they got unresolved, the whistleblowers told the Herald Sun which then revealed the scandal on Monday. The paper revealed today Lethlean had an affair with young Sydney-based AFL staffer Maddi Blomberg, girlfriend of rugby union star Kurtley Beale, while Simkiss had an affair with young female employee Ali Gronow, legal counsel at AFL headquarters.

1 Like

The thing that always happens in situations like this and in politics etc… when someone is forced out of their job is there’s no thought to handover etc… The person might be doing the best job professionally and be in charge of implementing major changes but can then not see them through or have them passed over to then fail etc… The headlines are always about someone’s job or someone being sacked but remember, that’s a person who is now unemployed, has lost a major income for their family through whatever reason and for a business, it’s now a business who will have to recruit, train and go through changes often (especially in the politics world) because of a witch hunt.

The AFL are the leading sports organisation in the land.

They have policies.

The execs broke it.

Morale? PR? Responsibility? Good management?

1 Like

Battle of the Bridge… Sydney Derby XXII…

Lived up to all the hype/anticipation this week!

What a nail biting game :cold_sweat:

Huge win for the Swans, as their recent unbelievable form continues & broke the GWS hoo-doo

1 Like

Premiers 2017, you’ve heard it here first (I might have had a few beverages while cheering on the mighty swans)

4 Likes

They were in serious contention for the wooden spoon a couple months ago and now try are a genuine contender for the premiership. Unbelievable stuff!

2 Likes

I don’t think Sydney has a grand final winning game style.

How so?

They nearly won last year’s GF (and more people favoured them over the Western Bulldogs going in)

1 Like

Former Brownlow medallist Nathan Fyfe has signed a six year contract with Fremantle, almost ensuring he will finish his playing career with the club. I think this is the second longest playing contract in the AFL after Lance Franklin’s 9 year, $10 million deal with Sydney.

No they didn’t they got thrashed. Go reread the post. I don’t think they have a grsnd final winning game style. I think thr game plan lacks thing needed to win a grand final.

I think there’s 4 teams in with a chance of winning the GF. The top 3 and Sydney.
Sydney got thrashed last year? You watched a different game to me then clearly Turdall.

2 Likes

What’s the ‘thing’ they need to win a granny? Plus, they did not get thrashed.

Thrashed is wrong. I went and had a look at the result. I felt the game was over for Sydney last year. I predicted them to win but after the game and watching them play I realised their game style is not suited to the MCG and to the big game. They might make the grand final but whoever they play against will win.