AFL

Once again richmond match only shown in perth not showing in melbourne!!

Because seven are showing the china match?

2 Likes

Where’s the facepalm emoji?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-15/eleni-glouftsis-to-make-umpiring-debut-this-week

3 Likes

Horrible news for Jesse Hogan especially with the loss of his dad recently. Hope he can make a full recovery!

Melbourne football operations manager Josh Mahoney said at this morning’s press conference that Hogan was made aware of his diagnosis last Thursday, and would have surgery today. Hogan is expected to make a full recovery and will resume playing later this year.

Proposed rule changes. What are y
peoples thoughts?

It would mean Port Adelaide and Gold Coast are unlikely to ever play in Adelaide while China is happening.

Would suck to be a Richmond supporter right now. Only team since 1980 to have lost 3 consecutive games by under a goal… And they’ve done it twice in 5 years.

Hate to say it but well done to Collingwood who have beaten the Hawks for the first time in 2066 days with a 43 point comeback.

I was at the Collingwood-Hawthorn game last night. Although I am a Hawthorn member, I always think the Pies would win for Lou Richards whose funeral was held on Wednesday. I was surprised that Hawthorn opened up a 43-point lead in the second quarter before gradually losing it.

‘Surprised’ is a strangely civil term for it, compared to what I saw on social media last night. Mind you, in the first half the Collingwood fans were equally as feral (I saw people calling for Buckley’s head in the first quarter) - they soon changed their tune!

What do you guys make of West Coast, in light of their awful performance today? Sure Essendon have been good (if you call beating an insipid Geelong last week ‘good’) but putting in performances like that and the Hawthorn game surely means they can’t be taken seriously as a premiership contender?

It’s such an open field at the moment. Adelaide are the team to beat but even they’ve been brought back to Earth in recent weeks. I don’t think Port are quite there but imagine how exciting a Showdown grand final could be?

Port need go beat a top 8 team to be taken seriously. I can’t pick it this year and a part of me can’t ride Sydney off.

1 Like

So many upsets so far in season 2017, I wonder what everyone thinks of my top 8 for the end of the season.

1. Adelaide
  2. Geelong
  3. Port Adelaide
  4. GWS Giants
  5. Richmond
  6. St Kilda
  7. Sydney Swans
  8. Fremantle

I personally think the Bulldogs are slightly overrated even though they have good depth in their list, remember they finished 7th last year. Brisbane to take out the spoon and my Hawks to finish 16th, looking grim for us, Saints may get a top 3 draft pick this year!

Collingwood supporter here - I’m so sick of the “Sack Buckley” brigade. Is he the perfect coach? Of course not, the 2011 handover was completely flawed and I don’t think an entire revamp (including you, Eddie) is a bad thing if there’s a succession plan. But if we continue to play the level of football we produced from about the second quarter onwards, it’ll prevent the end of the world some people think it’s getting to.

Pendles & Moore were stand outs. More of this please.

I don’t think Geelong will be second. GWS will probably be 2nd and West Coast will definitely be in the top 8.

Mine:
Adelaide
GWS
West Coast
Geelong
Port Adelaide
Western Bulldogs
Sydney
St Kilda

1 Like

I think there’s plenty of potential there and in all honesty with your midfield you should be a top 8 side. But there’s a real issue of consistency, the difference between your highs and lows is too great, and exposed too frequently. Not to say that you’re the only side with that issue though, it’s just that Bucks has had five years so this team is now totally his responsibility, and he is being held suitably accountable for that

2 Likes

I agree, I really can see Sydney marching back up. Probably not as premiership contenders, but certainly making the 8. North are the other strange one - what they did to Adelaide makes me think there must be something there. Bad teams don’t inflict 10 goal hidings on undefeated teams

Agree on Geelong too - we played a very good game on Friday after three very poor ones. Too inconsistent and too many passengers, two notable exceptions aside. Unless a switch has turned or does turn prior to finals we too will just be making up numbers, but that comes back to my initial question, who is the team that can do it? All have had their flaws exposed so far and we’re only 9 rounds in!

GWS. They too have their flaws but are obviously a finals built team. They will win. The Crows don’t have enough finals talent and that has been evident on their last two years in the finals. I think we could see a GWS v West Coast grand final with GWS the easy winners.

Another woeful performance by Hawthorn tonight, against its current bogie team Port Adelaide. Hawthorn’s half time score of 0.3 (3) is its lowest ever half time score since the Hawks joined the VFL in 1925. The Hawks scored seven goals in the second half (while Port kicked 4.12 plus a few out of bounds on the full) but the damage was done.

Switched it off halfway through, absolutely embarrassing from the Hawks.

Was just about to say, Port were very wasteful in the second half. What was a 51 point win should have been near 100. Wonder if it’ll make a difference come September for final places in the 8.

The full time score masks Hawthorn’s near scoreless first half.