AFL

No team has ever made the finals after being 0-4 since the inception of the Top 8 system in 1994. And those teams right now at 0-4 all made the finals last season (Sydney, Hawthorn, North Melbourne). Unbelievable.

On another note, the less said about the Hawks performance today the better!

Yes, today’s match was very hard to watch. At 0-4 it is Hawthorn’s worst start to a season since 1998.

And a lose next week will be the worse start in 65 years.ouch!!!

Out of the 3 the only team I can still see making the finals is Sydney. However, if they lose next week I will ride them off.

So Good Friday football? Who is for it? I felt like the twilight game, under the roof at Etihad, was a little underwhelming. Figures were good, attendance was good, the game was close and the money raised was good. I do, however, feel it could have just been at the MCG under lights starting at 7pm.

Actually, Hawthorn have’nt been 0-5 since 1953 when they Won the Wooden Spoon, History’s against Them on Sunday and if they lose to West Coast, The Spoon could be in their Sights.

2 Likes

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl/teams/gold-coast/brisbane-and-gold-coast-planning-gabba-doubleheader-before-commonwealth-games/news-story/344db2abb0a6d7c8679549a58392bd51

The AFL will be encouraged by the crowd at last night’s match at the MCG: more than 85,000, the biggest home and away attendance for Richmond v Melbourne. Next year the match falls on a Tuesday night but it can be accommodated by having both clubs plus Essendon and Collingwood (which plays on Wednesday, Anzac Day) having a bye the next round. They will then play during the mid season bye for the other 14 clubs.

So happy with my Bombers :smile:

Finallyyyyyy we got an Anzac Day win!

Had a great seat in the MCC today too!

Not a brilliant game, very scrappy and low-scoring for the first half. Mainly due to the bad weather in the morning, but also where both teams are at. But a win is a win.

1 Like

Some pics from the day:

5 Likes

Interesting stat from round 7: This is the 11th time that every match of round was won by the lower placed team
1st time since 1975 (12 team competition)

In sad news, Collingwood legend & former presenter on The Sunday Footy Show Lou Richards has passed away. He was 94.

Melbourne TV news bulletins have already announced tributes.

:cry:

3 Likes

Lou Richards became a media pioneer after his footy career,he paved the way for football players to work in the media.A true footy/television legend here in Melbourne.
Beautiful tributes from a very emotional Nine News sport presenter Tony Jones who was a close friend for over 30 years.
Victorian State government is considering offering a State funeral to the Richards family.

Edit- the premier has offered the Richards family a State Funeral.

4 Likes

That lovely tribute from TJ here:

4 Likes

This got a brief mention at the end of the sports section on Nine News Sydney.

1 Like

There was also extended coverage on Seven News tonight. Richards was an important part of World of Sport and League Teams, and also called VFL matches for Seven from 1960s to 1987.

4 Likes

The Victorian Government has offered a state funeral to the Richards family

The AFL has announced the women’s competition will remain at eight teams next year but will expand in 2019.

Any word whether will have TV networks covering the coverage of the state funeral??

###Lou Richards’ State Funeral

Wednesday 17 May 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM

Melbourne - Channels Seven and Nine.

(Not listed for Victorian regional areas at moment, but will probably be shown).

Wow David Mundy after the siren to win it for the Dockers!