AFL

Yet the AFL were more than happy to allow play at ANZ where the surface was worse than an outback park (not to mention there were protruding bolts)

4 Likes

ABC sports commentators were calling for ‘heads to roll’ on ABC Radio this morning in the event of this outcome.

2 Likes

It’s such a shame, history could have been made, full credit to the AFLW Brisbane Lions team too :frowning:

–

Also, reading many articles online about this saga, a tabloid of which (cough, cough, Courier Mail, cough) had 50%+ of comments trolled by AFL ‘haters’.

You don’t have to follow the code, you don’t even have to like its existance, but don’t bother trashing other people (and genuine QLD AFL fans)’ comments non-stop!

2 Likes

There are currently 3 of us in the mediaspy supercoach. Code number is 657887 Web http://supercoach.heraldsun.com.au/afl/classic/lobby

It would be great to get a fair few of us on it. Might create some more conversation around in this thread as well.

1 Like

The issue I feel that some are overlooking is that The Gabba usually isn’t a concert venue. Most of the outdoor concerts in SEQ are held at Lang Park (booked out with the other 3 codes) and many others only attract crowds that would fit into Boondall. There’s a possibility that not many of the groundstaff would have known how to protect a ground such as this after a major concert. (The same can be said regarding the Indian pitches given 3 of the grounds in this series haven’t hosted a test match before).

That said the women’s games generally don’t use the corridor a lot save for the centre stoppages, the crowd may get to 10K but not much else (probably a loss making venture for the ground, especially with zero coming from gate revenues and probably having to pay for public transport under Qld Government regulation as a crowd bigger than 5K is expected) and with the infrastructure in place in terms of TV for Carrara to host the game (not to mention the 30 minute shift of the men’s start time) it actually made sense despite the disappointment of the players to hold it on the GC. I don’t buy the argument that later games are under threat given similar concerns about Subiaco leading into a pre season game 2 weeks ago even though another ground (Leederville Oval) was put on standby, plus the surfaces at Docklands and the Olympic Stadium are probably as bad for player welfare yet they’ll host sports fixtures shortly after the same concert even though they’d want to protect their ground for future usage as well.

1 Like

Who should play the opening game of the season? I don’t understand why Richmond and Carlton get the luxury of playing the first game which often becomes a blow out and not an enjoyable game to watch.

I personally think the first game of the season should be the Grand Final rematch. Which ever team won the GF should host the rematch.

Lots of traditionalists at AFL house apparently…

1 Like

[quote=“turdall, post:267, topic:803, full:true”]I personally think the first game of the season should be the Grand Final rematch. Which ever team won the GF should host the rematch.[/quote]Agree. I have been saying this for years. Considering how poorly Carlton and Richmond have performed for many years, they really don’t deserve to open the new season.

I’m aware it still attracts huge crowds and TV viewership regardless, but the opening round of the new season should feature the GF teams in a rematch of the previous year. Instead, we have the Bulldogs against a lower placed team in Collingwood on Friday night and Sydney against lower placed Port on Saturday twilight. :roll_eyes:

Richmond & Carlton have been opening AFL for the past 10 years (Round 1, [Apr 1 2007]). I think it’s time for a change.

The QLD govt has declared free public transport on Saturday to coincide with the AFL Women’s grand final on the GC.

Applies to all trains, buses and ferries across south-east Queensland. Applies to everyone becasue it wasn’t possible to determine if a traveller was going to the AFL final or not as tickets aren’t required.

2 Likes

Exception in 2012 when GWS played their first ever game against Sydney (the night of the Campbell Newman landslide in Qld).

Personally if they went GF rematch and a Sydney derby was the season opener, interest in that city would be close to the interest rate I’d get from borrowing money for a house from Westpac. I would also expect that the Melbourne media wouldn’t be as interested given they’d wait for the big clash between 2 big Melbourne teams that generally happens Round 1.

[quote=“stmookeyj027, post:272, topic:803, full:true”]I would also expect that the Melbourne media wouldn’t be as interested given they’d wait for the big clash between 2 big Melbourne teams that generally happens Round 1.
[/quote]Too bloody bad I say. Last time I looked it was the AFL not the VFL. It’s an Australian wide competition (excluding one unfortunate state of course :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:), so it’s not all about Victoria now is it? :wink:

1 Like

Need some help. What new rookies are likely to play. Need to fill my supercoach with some cheaper options.

1 Like

“league does not exist” (tried it multiple times).

You’d better tell me how to join, spent like 15min signing-up.

I already have other tipping :expressionless:

Manners please.

1 Like

*pretty please

There is more onfield advertising this year, the AFL taking a leaf from the NRL. The Toyota logo is on the goal square and a Telstra ad is painted on the 50m line. And for the first time the AFL website address appears beneath the premiership logo.

1 Like

Maybe that’s why afl.com.au has been down for the last 20 minutes at least.

Are you sure that wasn’t advertisers begging the AFL to do that (rather than the other way around)?

Whooops sorry been busy tonight. Just saw this. Havent got access to a computer to look properly Im afraid.