AFL

News reports from the 1996 Fitzroy merger.

1 Like

I Remember watching the Bulldogs ending Hawthorn dreams for a 4-Peat which Collingwood still has Sole Ownership dating back to 1930.

Think of the Chicago Cubs breaking the Longest Title Drought in North American Sports that came a Month Later.

Essendon have Welcomed back 7 of their Players Suspended in the Supplement Scandal of 2013 which saw the Club hit Rock Bottom Last Year taking their First Wooden Spoon in 83 Years.

1 Like

Sadly itā€™s True, Richmond also haveā€™nt been in the Grand Final since 1982 and itā€™s Unlikely the Drought will Break anytime Soon also Carlton are Heading Towards their Longest Premiership Drought which Current stands at 21 Years.

I would quite easily say Richmond have been the most unsuccessful team of the last 20 years. Every team, besides the two expansion clubs, has featured in a Grand Final.

2 Likes

Probably a fair statement. On a similar but slightly different note, I was thinking the other day about teams that had opportunity that missed out on doing something really good, and youā€™ve prompted me to discuss it

Think St Kilda of the late 00s - great team, but couldnā€™t manage a flag. Likewise Collingwood of the same era, probably the best team of 2010-11 but could only manage one flag, and even that took a second attempt

Essendon 1999-2001 could be the same - that team should have won more than one flag. And unfortunately Turdall your Port boys of the early-mid 00s could have the same said about them, they could/should have made more than one grand final in that era Brisbane dominated

And yeah, my Cats of the late 80s-early 90s are probably the perfect example of this, and I totally admit thatā€¦

Totally agree. The Power should have won 2 Grand Finals. Unfortunately they didnt have a finals team. It wasnā€™t until 2003 that Mark Williams finally swung the axe and added players like Montgomary, Hardwick and Wakelin.

As a supporter even one Grand Final was amazing to win.

Certainly right on both points. (Block your ears turdall) but the 2007 GF will still go down as one of the best days of my life, after so many losses to finally land one was phenomenal. 09 and 11 were both incredible too, but the first one was really special

2007 is seriously a dark dark day in the Powers eyes. It took a long time for them to recover from that. But they should never have made it. They only reason they made it is because teams like West Coast had so many injuries. That year it should have been a West Coast v Geelong Final. Who knows if they had happened maybe Mark Williams would still be coach.

Certainly remember that first final in Adelaide between Port and the Eagles. Eagles had Judd on one leg (groins were stuffed), then Cousins pinged a hammy and neither were seen in an Eagles jumper again.

1 Like

And Judd still managed to be brilliant with only one leg.

Anyone doing Supercoach or tipping this year?

Maybe we could set up a supercoach league?

If anyone is interested in joining a media spy supercoach league here is the code 657887

Here is the website I am in http://supercoach.heraldsun.com.au/afl/classic/lobby

1 Like

@stmookeyj027 I assume its you that has joined the supercoach? This is only my second year doing it properly. Trying to figure out the good rookies that will give me some money later in the year.

1 Like

Brisbane Lions will host the first ever AFL Womenā€™s Grand Final at home on Saturday March 25, after they beat the Western Bulldogs this afternoon and Adelaide lost to Melbourne at Darwin this evening.
On Friday, the AFL announced the menā€™s Round 1 clash between Gold Coast and Brisbane on March 25 would start at 7.05pm local time (8.05pm AEDT) instead of 6.25pm. The AFLā€™s reasoning (according to Suns website) was ā€œto ensure the game can be broadcast live and free in Queensland on Channel 7, rather than on 7mateā€. It will be the first time since the Suns entered the competition in 2011 that the local derby is shown on the main channel, and first time in many years that a Saturday night match involving either the Suns and the Lions is shown on the main channel in Queensland.

Interesting fixture for 2017.

First couple of rounds have all Melbourne teams for Ch 7ā€™s productions.

Also, thereā€™s multiple weeks in a row of Thursday night games during the middle of the year.

This is nothing new and the reason for the outrage when the AFL announced some games would be delayed for interstate supporters.

1 Like

The Brisbane Lions will miss out on a home final with the inaugural AFL Womenā€™s grand final now to be played at Metricon Stadium on the Gold Coast.

The Gabba surface has just been ruled unsafe for football after it was damaged during a concert by Adele on 4 March.

Reports are that AFL chief Gillon McLachlan ruled it had to be in Queensland rather than Adelaide.

1 Like

Gabba curator Kevin Mitchell Jr said some pitches were damaged after the Adele concert, and cricket officials warned the pitch for the first Ashes Test later this year would be ruined if the AFLW Grand Final and Brisbaneā€™s first two home games were played at the venue.
Given there will be some time between the AFLW Grand Final and the AFL clash between the Suns and the Lions (starting at 7pm Qld time), the AFL has to quickly organise some activities to keep fans entertained around the venue between the matches. Also, the stadium will need to be cleared after the AFLW GF as the QClash is a ticketed event.