AFL

Must be the second time this season Richmond and Carlton have played the Thursday night match?

1 Like

Yes, firstly in Round 1 and now again in Round 14.

3 Likes

Merger may return to the Cards, it happened Once Before, it can happen again.

Yep, Richmond and Carlton are playing too many Thursday night matches, they should merge.

3 Likes
1 Like

Under Eddie’s proposal, North Melbourne will play 11 games in Melbourne and 11 games in Tasmania each season. He claimed his plan wasn’t a relocation, but a reshaping of the Kangaroos’ future with “22 home games” in two states, while still being based at their Arden St headquarters.
https://twitter.com/FootyonNine/status/1537049466955513857
https://twitter.com/FootyonNine/status/1537050795484631042

Besides, wouldn’t that team in a season have around 5-6 home games per ground if a team had 2 home grounds a bit like what the Dragons in the NRL have, if that happened. They did not take in account away games played in either Melbourne/Geelong or in other states

1 Like

This would have integrity issues all over it. So under this proposal, they don’t play any of the WA, SA, NSW or QLD teams away which rules out double up games in a season to 8 teams

6 Likes

This is an interesting read on ground sizes, and how various venues compare

1 Like

The article didnt mention this, but several teams have built training facilities that replicate a range of ground sizes which suggests that it has a big impact with the way their game styles work

1 Like

That isn’t true it would be 9 teams.

Which means it’s dead on arrival.

Tasmania’s government won’t fund a team on the basis of having the actual footy operations in Melbourne. Those are the jobs that build the industry, the elite sports infrastructure that can build up around a real Tasmanian team, adding to the Jackjumpers to create full time, year round, call in Tassie for elite level sports jobs, in player management, personal trainers, coaches, developmental staff and the executive team and back office staff.

Those flow on jobs make the investment worthwhile - it builds a sector of jobs in Tassie and can keep young Tasmanians from leaving for the mainland.

The AFL team isn’t about just wanting more matches played down there than there currently are under the agreements with North and Hawthorn, it’s about developing a football industry.

The only split that Tasmania is willing to accept isn’t Vic and Tas, it’s Hobart and Launceston. The Tassie bid is already very Hobart skewed with the new stadium proposal, which will need to have a higher share of games to offset the high cost, if anything Tassie will need to buy extra games off interstate sides to try and boost the amount of Tassie games to get the worth out of the grounds. GMHBA is viable with 9 games of AFL a year, I can’t see a new Hobart stadium being viable with 6 of 11.

2 Likes

That is a very valid point re: back office staff in Arden St rather than in Tassie, however I also don’t think it is wise for the AFL to be creating another new team from scratch which will also be a financial drag on it for years, unless more of the existing teams can reduce their financial reliance on the body.

Did the AFL ever use that nine-figure debt funding they negotiated when Covid hit?

Jerseys look too similar tonight… Carlton have a grey-ish clash jersey don’t they? Surely they should have used that as the “away” team.

Herald Sun reports the AFL will re-introduce physical match tickets next year. Tickets became digital in 2020 during the COVID pandemic, mainly for contact tracing purposes.

That’s great. Used my MCC last Monday and had forgotten how easy walking up and scanning a plastic card was.

1 Like

Its the big 4 rule where the big 4 clubs usually wear their traditional jumper against eachother.

Btw it is guernsey not jersey

1 Like

Thanks, but why should they be different to anyone else re clash strip? It should be the same rule for all 18 clubs. But that’s just me.

I know. It is an ego thing I think amongst the big 4 self entitled clubs

2 Likes

So the AFL seems to think reintroducing paper tickets will fix the lower than expected recent crowds.

Seriously? I wonder what the cause is… are the recent player behaviour dramas involving infighting and drugs turning people off? Or the less popular clubs like Brisbane, Melbourne and Fremantle dominating having an impact? Or is it the cold weather? Or a bit of all that?

2 Likes